advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
My old tundra :(
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: June 15, 2020 02:12PM
My truck blew a plug which ripped the ignition wires out of the engine. It’s a 2000 Tundra with only 125k miles on it. Other than some rust issues here and there, it was in great shape before this. I had to have it towed a long distance - it happened on the highway on the way to paddle. Obviously I don’t drive it often, but it’s fabulous for moving kayaks or mountain bikes, so we take it on those trips and it’s worth it’s weight in gold.

It’s sitting at the mechanic now... he said it would be $1000 to take it apart and see what’s even damaged. We don’t think that’ll be worth it. Do we have an opinion on who would be the most worthy to take it as a donation(A friend recommended NPR)? I wish I had time to part it out, but I am buried as it is. I can’t even imagine car shopping now.

They haven’t made that size Tundra since 2007 and I won’t buy something quite that old. The new ones are too large. We have a 2008 Tacoma, which has a bed that is too small for most of what we want to move, but I will look at new Tacomas with longer beds. The crappy part of that is that it won’t fit in our garage - nice new vehicle outside. Our Tacoma has 250k miles, so I don’t mind buying a new one of those at all.

Any advice on shipping would be welcome, too. When we bought the 2008, we found it definitely wasn’t financially worthwhile to buy a truck that was a few years old. I’m guessing that’d be the same today. It might be because the resale value is so high.

I’m really sad - I love this truck. This was kind of a shock, and it was traumatic to see this happen to it - the breakdown was pretty loud and violent.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: My old tundra :(
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: June 15, 2020 02:33PM
If it makes you feel any better, we just spent $2300 on a new catalytic convertor for our 2001 Tacoma with 182K. It should go for another 100K.

They just don't make trucks in a useful size anymore. And as far as 20 year old high mileage trucks go...they are mostly Toyotas in our part of the world. The first generation of Tacos are getting harder to find, and prices are getting higher.

If your Tundra is in good condition, you should fix it. Here's our Taco:

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2020 02:53PM by Markintosh.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 15, 2020 02:46PM
Sounds like you need to find a good Toyota forum.

Date: June 15, 2020 02:48PM
I know. It’s mostly in good shape, but the mechanic thinks this is a bad engine issue - it needs a little welding, too. The shock is not connected to the frame, and the chrome on the bumper is transparent. There’s an inch of fender rotted through. It’s hard to let it go, but it does seem like time. Does anyone think I should bother trying to sell it as is?

The useful size thing is SO true. The big newer Tundra is just too big and not great on fuel. The Tacomas have gotten so big, but not quite large enough in the bed. I am surprised the dealerships don’t seem to have amazing deals, either.

We have only had Toyotas in our whole extended family... this Tundra has worked somewhat hard and I’m the third owner. The Tacoma is in much nicer shape - we are original owners and it’s been garaged. It hasn’t carried hay or anything, not that that should be a lot to ask.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: June 15, 2020 02:48PM
If Timex made a truck, they'd call it the Toyota Hilux. Top Gear couldn't kill it despite their best efforts.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 15, 2020 02:59PM
Is it possible that the plug was just loose and came out b/c of that alone?

If you haven't already, I would check to see if it could be reinstalled, or perhaps a new plug since the threads might be damaged.
Date: June 15, 2020 03:02PM
They say it’s a mess and a real problem to even get in there to diagnose it. If it will cost $1000 just to diagnose it...
Date: June 15, 2020 03:03PM
They have not found the plug, either.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 15, 2020 03:03PM
The spark plug hole may be able to be repaired with a helicoil. Not sure how bad the damage is though.

Rockauto has rear bumpers starting at around $160. Shouldn't be too difficult to replace. Not sure how much it is to have the shock mount welded, but it shouldn't be too bad. You should be able to get wheel flares for less than $200. Or pop rivet some sheet metal there if you need it to pass inspection. Point is, if the engine isn't too bad, for around $600-700, it should be drivable.
Date: June 15, 2020 03:18PM
If it’s just to $1000 to diagnose plus welding, new bumper, and then... most of the parts are original 20 years old - the mechanic is trustworthy and I believe him when he says it isn’t worth it.
Posted by: Bo
Date: June 15, 2020 03:37PM
2005 Double Cab with 150k on it here...love it!

I recently joined this Tundra forum: [www.tundras.com]
Seems like a very knowledgable and helpful bunch of people on there with a moderately active for sale area.

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 15, 2020 03:38PM
Do you know what it will cost to buy another pickup to replace it? Lots. My brother's Tundra has over 350,000 and looks great.
Posted by: John B.
Date: June 15, 2020 03:40PM
How much for him to just drop in a refurb engine (no diagnostics on the current one). I don't know Toyota trucks much, other than a casual observer, but a quick Ebay search showed several refurb/used Toyota engines in the $1000-$1500 range. (Admittedly if I did it I'd want one from someone who would give me some amount of warranty.)
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 15, 2020 04:00PM
“Top Gear couldn't kill it despite their best efforts.”

Yeah, awesome episode(s).

Yes, you could probably helicoil, but generally you would want the head off due to metal shavings, or you could find a junkyard head, but labor can add up fast.

“ ripped the ignition wires out of the engine “

Any damage there other than the wires?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 15, 2020 04:13PM
John B.
How much for him to just drop in a refurb engine (no diagnostics on the current one). I don't know Toyota trucks much, other than a casual observer, but a quick Ebay search showed several refurb/used Toyota engines in the $1000-$1500 range. (Admittedly if I did it I'd want one from someone who would give me some amount of warranty.)

That was my thought as well.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: June 15, 2020 04:31PM
They don’t know how much damage there is, what caused it, etc. I can ask about a refurb engine... but there’s body rot and I just don’t know how much welding there'll be down the road. I know what the resale value is on these guys. When I went to pay the sales tax on it I almost fainted. At this point, it’s not worth that much, but yeah, a replacement truck isn’t going to be cheap. Especially if I get a new Tacoma - which would help to replace both trucks.

Thanks for the other forum - I’ll check them out.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 15, 2020 04:43PM
Toyotanation.com
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 15, 2020 04:47PM
Ombligo
John B.

That was my thought as well.

Same here. I've been to junkyards where they pull motors and trannys from vehicles in accidents that didn't harm the drivetrains. I did that a few years ago when I burned up a transmission. They had row after row of stuff like that in a huge building. My buddy swapped it out and I was good to go. Way cheaper than a new transmission.

Heck, years ago I (well, my buddy who is pretty damn handy) replaced a motor in my old plow truck with a crate motor. A brand new V-6 for about $1400.

This was over ten years ago, so probably more money now.

Don't give up on the beast if you really like it. It can be resurrected!

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 15, 2020 05:14PM
I've seen lots of engines on Craigslist. You would be able to find one or two companies that specialize in that and have good reputations.
Posted by: Carm
Date: June 15, 2020 06:06PM
Don’t bother with the diagnosis on the blown one. Engine swap with a pulled one if you are going to spend money on it. Your mechanic will probably fix it after it gets pulled and resell it.

As mentioned by Rick-O, engine swaps are an option if you really like the truck. Even with the issues mentioned.

Engine work with no repair sucks. My sister had her head gasket replaced after engine light kept coming on after plug change/ignition coils replaced. About $900 to diagnose and repair.
Date: June 15, 2020 06:21PM
I’m getting another opinion tomorrow. The problem is the rest of the truck - body rot, old original parts including the transmission, etc. I don’t mind putting money into it, I just don’t want to put an engine into it and then be spending another $2k next year.

It’s also due for inspection this fall. I’m not sure how far from passing it is.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 15, 2020 06:43PM
Markintosh
If it makes you feel any better, we just spent $2300 on a new catalytic convertor for our 2001 Tacoma with 182K. It should go for another 100K.

They just don't make trucks in a useful size anymore. And as far as 20 year old high mileage trucks go...they are mostly Toyotas in our part of the world. The first generation of Tacos are getting harder to find, and prices are getting higher.

If your Tundra is in good condition, you should fix it. Here's our Taco:

Those cats are between $200-$300 at Rock Auto. 15 hours of welding?

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: ADent
Date: June 15, 2020 08:25PM
What does a running version of your truck bring in similar condition?

Some of those Toyota's are worth stupid money and a "lowish" mile Tundra with a blown out spark plug (does it still run at all - doesn't sound like it) would bring some good beer money.

Call a few auto recylcler places and see what they will pay you - I would guess $250-$450. Throw it up on Craigslist for $1000 or whatever is appropriate and see if somebody wants a fixer upper.

Last time I looked if you donate it you can get $499 deduction on taxes (unless they actually resell the car and send you the form for what they got) - and you only get that if you itemize.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 15, 2020 11:19PM
Body rot means don’t put that kind of money into it.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: June 16, 2020 05:56AM
No, it doesn’t run at all. It was towed for the last 40 miles or so.

We don’t itemize since the standard changed. I did think about Craigslist - I know they go for more than they should. I’ve been offered money on the spot for it many times. Blue book is around $1800. I suspect $1800 is the welding work, bumper and labor, and tires right there. I can't imagine what labor to install a new engine would run.

It’s been doing well, but it did need some welding already, and it’s not like the rest of the body and frame are pristine - it got coated at the dealership during that recall, but it didn’t do that much. I’ve replaced a leaf spring not long ago... oh, and the tires are old and ready to go. I just replaced one that went flat, but they are all very expired.

My dad has a 2010 Tundra and some interesting discussions are going on there! It figures it’s red - once again, my least favorite color. He has a 2000 that he wants to keep, too.
Date: June 16, 2020 06:02AM
These people are nuts. I didn’t restrict by mileage, but these trucks are listed for $3500-$7000 including one with 339k miles. I only paid $7700 for it in 2007! I guess I won’t be giving it away, but I may be working out a very uneven trade.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: June 16, 2020 07:37AM
There was a frame recall for Tundras as well as Tacomas of that era due to rusting out...when you say body rot do you just mean the fenders or does it involve the frame as well?

You realize you can buy a set of used tires since it's something not driven much?

And $2300 installed for a new OEM cat?...$200-$300 for a 3rd party cat plus $10 for a spacer (off eBay) for the downstream oxygen sensor means you'll never see a "check engine" light again.

As for spending for a used engine then facing another $2k expense next year the Tacoma TRD Sport I got a year ago cost $36k, though I leased it (3rd party lender...high residual = low payment)

Lowest price I saw people paying scanning Toyota forums was ~$33k for that trim-line.

I also find the new Tacoma to feel very "tinny" compared to the previous generation...glad I leased.

If I wanted to keep a truck for occasional use I'd fix your current one rather than buy a new Tacoma (lease deals are good on the current Tacoma, though)

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2020 07:51AM by Bill in NC.
Date: June 16, 2020 07:52AM
Body and frame. It was part of the recall, but it passed, so they just coated the frame. Supposedly. The shock recently rusted off the frame on one side, I’ve had to replace a leaf spring, etc.

I certainly know that there’s a big cost difference between this and a new Tacoma. If we did that, it would replace the 2008 Tacoma and pass that one down to me.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 16, 2020 08:23AM
Sounds like your mind is made up but you can't admit it to yourself - you want to replace it.

You said you do not use it much but want it around for when you do need a truck. That said (and if I'm right in my understanding) - does it really need to be a Toyota? Would something like a Dakota/Colorado/Canyon/Ranger work for your limited needs? Maybe even a F150/Ram/Silverado (though those are larger). Outside the box but possibly more affordable would be a Ridgeline

Give any of those basic care and they will last a long time. I get you that you like the Tundra, and if you used it as an everyday driver, then the suggestion would be different.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: June 16, 2020 11:55AM
Racer X
Markintosh

Those cats are between $200-$300 at Rock Auto. 15 hours of welding?

Got done at the peak of COVID lockdown...parts were hard to find at that time and we were doing the best we can to keep a local mechanic employed.

We felt the price should have closer to $1k...but we weren't up for poking around the darker streets of Reno at the time looking for a better deal.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: June 16, 2020 01:48PM
I’ve had 3 in-person opinions now. I was not sold on any one outcome, but I do not want to throw good money after bad, and I want reliability... plus, lately, I have zero time to go around getting individual problems fixed. I just feel like this is the beginning of a can of worms.

I use it whenever I bring kayaks or bikes around - maybe twice a week. I’m pretty sold on Toyota. None of the other trucks are really this size anyway. Or, they don’t have a large enough bed.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: June 17, 2020 06:14AM
Speedy
Body rot means don’t put that kind of money into it.

What Speedy said, especially if 'body rot' also means 'frame rot' (which a broken shock mount suggests).

Are you a high-salt climate, like here in New England? I had to give up my 1998 Chevy passenger van, after the frame rotted out. Interior, engine and tranny were pristine, but underneath was all rust.

Daughter and SIL have a 2005 4-door Tundra; it's their main travel, camper-tow, and work vehicle, still going strong. With racks they carry canoes. They're in Virginia, apparently not nearly the salt they use here in Massachusetts.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Date: June 17, 2020 06:20AM
Yes, frame rot too, despite the coating and recall, and yes, New England salt.

I was the third owner, and it was near Boston before me. Poor truck.

In the end, I am trading my dad (who also loves these and has a 2002) for his 2011 Tundra - bigger than I’d like and with a few more miles on it than mine, but it lived in Florida every winter and I think it’s a pretty nice trade. It has a big tear and a few dents... otherwise in really good shape. I’m back to looking like a 5 year old in my truck like I did as a teen in my F-150. The V8 is very eager! We’ll probably be able to fit a third kayak in there, which will be nice.

He’s going to try to fix my truck - he loves a project and has lots of vehicles. I love smooth reliability.

This truck is bright red and I hate it - its theme is hot sauce now. I think I will have to get creative with that because I don’t see a ton of accessories in that theme, especially for a truck (regular bucket seat covers don’t work).

Any ideas to pretty up the tear? I’m thinking something like a tutu smiling smiley it’s at the end of the drivers side rear quarter. It goes almost from the end of the fender to the bumper.
Date: June 17, 2020 06:26AM

This truck is bright red and I hate it - its theme is hot sauce now. I think I will have to get creative with that because I don’t see a ton of accessories in that theme, especially for a truck (regular bucket seat covers don’t work).

Paint flames on the side, put some glass-pack mufflers on to make it nice and loud. Add a fox-tail.

/Mr Lynn
Date: June 17, 2020 06:28AM
You have no idea how close you are! My LAST truck was ugly maroon and I covered it with flames inside and out. It’s already pretty loud! My dad has a big plotter that can cut truck lettering, so I’m interested in making a hot sauce label that spans the sides of the truck or something.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 17, 2020 08:54AM
mrlynn

Paint flames on the side, put some glass-pack mufflers on to make it nice and loud. Add a fox-tail.

/Mr Lynn

exhaust stacks, like on a big rig, or a Dodge Warlock/Plymouth Li'l Red Express Truck.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: June 17, 2020 09:02AM
That’d be fun! Keep thinking! I’m not compensating for anything smiling smiley I don’t need the spiked wheel covers or anything,

I’d really like the whole truck to look like a bottle of hot sauce or a hot pepper, but I’d also like to camouflage the tear,
Date: June 17, 2020 09:58AM
[deleted for error]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2020 10:00AM by mrlynn.
Date: June 17, 2020 09:59AM
RecipeForDisaster
That’d be fun! Keep thinking! I’m not compensating for anything smiling smiley I don’t need the spiked wheel covers or anything,

I’d really like the whole truck to look like a bottle of hot sauce or a hot pepper, but I’d also like to camouflage the tear,

Something like this, perhaps?

/Mr Lynn
Date: June 17, 2020 10:05AM
Sure, yes! I found some metal peppers I can hang from the mirror and a tiny bottle of Tabasco for somewhere else. I have a few hot sauce stickers...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 178
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018