advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
USPS has got to be the worst package delivery service
Posted by: JoeM
Date: June 15, 2020 02:16PM
In an effort to help out a local NJ band uniform manufacturing company that switched to making masks in order to survive, I ordered a couple from them. The masks shipped from Edison NJ, which is about 20 minutes from my home back on June 8th and after 3 notifications of delay, I am still waiting for delivery. Below is the wacko, round about journey these things have taken over the last 7 days. I love how it actually went to Kearny on the 10th, only to go to Delaware and Philadelphia before going back to Kearny again on the 14th. smiley-laughing001

Tracking History
June 15, 2020, 7:57 am
Out for Delivery, Expected Delivery by 8:00pm
CRANFORD, NJ 07016
Your item is out for delivery on June 15, 2020 at 7:57 am in CRANFORD, NJ 07016.

June 15, 2020, 7:46 am
Arrived at Post Office
CRANFORD, NJ 07016

June 14, 2020, 10:01 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
KEARNY NJ DISTRIBUTION CENTER

June 14, 2020, 9:41 pm
Departed USPS Regional Facility
NEWARK NJ DISTRIBUTION CENTER

June 14, 2020, 7:26 am
NEWARK NJ DISTRIBUTION CENTER

June 13, 2020, 9:09 pm
PHILADELPHIA PA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

June 13, 2020
In Transit to Next Facility
June 12, 2020, 11:23 pm
PHILADELPHIA PA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

June 12, 2020, 4:40 am
WILMINGTON DE DISTRIBUTION CENTER

June 12, 2020, 12:54 am
WILMINGTON DE DISTRIBUTION CENTER

June 11, 2020, 7:59 pm
Arrived at USPS Facility
NEW CASTLE, DE 19720

June 10, 2020, 2:08 am
KEARNY NJ DISTRIBUTION CENTER

June 10, 2020, 12:53 am
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
EDISON, NJ 08837

June 8, 2020, 1:12 pm
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
EDISON, NJ 08837

JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: USPS has got to be the worst package delivery service
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 15, 2020 02:20PM
....amen.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 15, 2020 02:21PM
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha......

smiley-laughing001     smiley-laughing001     smiley-laughing001     

I'm guessing you've not sent or received many packages outside the U.S.?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 15, 2020 02:23PM
It's taking a gap year to backpack across Europe.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: June 15, 2020 02:33PM
I had a package from New England going to TN. It went to NJ, then MA, then NJ, then MA, 3 times. They didn’t see a problem until I called. I guess they messed up the barcode and it was "looping". They thought it was a lost cause, but after a month and 3 calls from me, it did actually arrive.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 15, 2020 02:45PM
I ordered a used book back in May, and it's who knows where in the USPS system.
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 15, 2020 03:36PM
When they get it wrong, it's just plain bad. Most of the time, though, they're OK. Unfortunately, it's that one time - and all of us have likely experienced it. They just seem clueless.
Posted by: digby
Date: June 15, 2020 03:41PM
I've been waiting on a package from the UK. Finally emailed and they said "On its way. Keep an eye out!" I wrote back that I'd love to, but how can I without a tracking number? "Oh, apologies. It was shipped Royal Mail, and they have no tracking."

Enough to make me want independence...
Posted by: archipirata
Date: June 15, 2020 03:43PM
I also ordered a used book from an ebay seller and it was sent priority mail a couple weeks ago. For the last week tracking just shows ""in transit" with no location info.

Athens, OH
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 15, 2020 04:14PM
archipirata
I also ordered a used book from an ebay seller and it was sent priority mail a couple weeks ago. For the last week tracking just shows ""in transit" with no location info.

Doesn't that usually mean 'in the seller's car, waiting to be dropped off at the shipping office'?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: srf1957
Date: June 15, 2020 04:23PM
I have a package coming by UPS . It took a 3 day vacation in Hodgkins Illinois .
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: June 15, 2020 04:40PM
I win !
A while back, I ordered something to be delivered to WA state. It went from TX to France - twice.
I now have personal number of manager at DHL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2020 04:41PM by nwyaker.
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 15, 2020 04:42PM
When Amazon switched back to using USPS for my packages instead of their own "Amazon Logistics", my delivery service improved immensely.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: June 15, 2020 04:43PM
rjmacs
archipirata

Doesn't that usually mean 'in the seller's car, waiting to be dropped off at the shipping office'?

"In Transit" means the post office has received the package. After two weeks, it's probably lost... I've got a package from early March that I never received that still says "In Transit". I filed a missing mail report for that package (and the seller shipped out a replacement).

"Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item" or "Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item" could mean it's still with the seller. Although I've had packages I received and sent that didn't get scanned by the first post office that touched them, and sometimes didn't get scanned until they went out for delivery in across the country (thus they sat at "Pre-Shipment" or "Label Created" until the day they were delivered).

My local delivery has been horrible since the pandemic started.

We've had 6 packages mis-delivered. Three I recovered from my neighbor's yard. Two we never found and were suspiciously scanned as delivered about 10 minutes after the other packages we received those days. Another was mis-delivered to us, and I dropped it off at the correct address. Local post office is useless. They always say they'll send the mail carrier out to look for mis-delivered packages, but nothing ever comes from that. I'm also annoyed that my neighbors aren't redelivering these packages, if they're getting them. At least we've been taken care of by the sellers so far...
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 15, 2020 04:45PM
nwyaker
I win !
A while back, I ordered something to be delivered to WA state. It went from TX to France - twice.
I now have personal number of manager at DHL.

Haha. That is great.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: June 15, 2020 05:10PM
Lol! Thanks for the laughs everyone! BTW, I just heard the mailman putting stuff on my front porch, what are the odds the package isn’t with today’s mail? ROTFL

JoeM
Posted by: archipirata
Date: June 15, 2020 05:44PM
rjmacs
archipirata

Usually, but not this time. It actually said "Package in possession of USPS" for the last week with no movement.

Athens, OH
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 15, 2020 11:22PM
I had a rifle stock go to summer camp in Des Moines for a week, after taking a 2 day trip to go 200 miles, then it sat here in Seattle for 2 days before they gave it to my postal carrier.

Custom, one of a kind made for me stock. No way to replace it if they effed it up.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Billiken
Date: June 16, 2020 01:27AM

I've been waiting on a package from the UK. Finally emailed and they said "On its way. Keep an eye out!" I wrote back that I'd love to, but how can I without a tracking number? "Oh, apologies. It was shipped Royal Mail, and they have no tracking."

Royal Mail does have a tracking service. The problem is, that USPS charges foreign postal carriers if they want access to US tracking data. Many don't pay up, and thus even a registered or Express Mail letter is not visible after the shipment leaves the country of origin.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 16, 2020 03:00AM
Billiken

Royal Mail does have a tracking service. The problem is, that USPS charges foreign postal carriers if they want access to US tracking data. Many don't pay up, and thus even a registered or Express Mail letter is not visible after the shipment leaves the country of origin.

Same issue with eBay shipments from China. There IS a tracking number.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 16, 2020 08:00AM
We use and depend on USPS priority/express letter mail. It's about 98% efficient and I call that good. The few misdirected items (there aren't many) usually show at some point and every once in a while something disappears without a trace, never to be seen again. That's happened maybe twice in 5 or 6 years.

FedEx stuff disappears with more regularity, we don't use UPS and don't do packages so I cant speak to that.
Posted by: rz
Date: June 16, 2020 08:36AM
I ordered a book years ago from a company in Princeton, NJ. I lived about 20 miles away, in PA. It took 43 days. This was back in the early days of the internet, so there was no tracking. I called several times, but all the company could do was say they shipped it and to keep waiting. I can only imagine the trip it took.

And while not specifically USPS' issue, but my wife ordered a new office chair online a few weeks ago, and it still hasn't arrived. They're saying sometime next week. It said it was in stock when she ordered it.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: June 16, 2020 11:29AM
Racer X
Billiken

Same issue with eBay shipments from China. There IS a tracking number.

Ah, that probably explains my recent overseas packages. They would get scanned when they hit US soil, but then nothing after that until they showed up at my door (which was often 1+ month after getting to the US). I've got a package that was scanned in Chicago, coming from Europe, a month ago today with no further activity.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 229
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018