Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Nuke & Pave...OR...Find Issue?
Posted by: SteveO
Date: June 15, 2020 05:51PM
On an '09 MB, 8/1TB HDD, Mavs:

Wife's MB has become extremely sluggish - endless beachballs - past few weeks across all browsers and apps. Had installed MalwareBytes about 3 weeks ago, not sure if it's related. Uninstalled it today. Did not help.

Debating whether to nuke and pave, and reinstall OS from original Snow Leopard all the way up to El Cap. A few months ago the original 250gb hdd failed; I had put an old drive of mine with Mavs on it (from my '10 MBP) on the MB...wondering if that Mavs OS was maybe built slightly different for my '10 MBP vs. the '09 MB?

Also tried upgrading the '09 MB to El Cap via the same installer I successfully used a month or so ago for my '10 MBP - got message "Install macosx.dmg image not recognized" - also tried dl'ing direct from Apple, same result. Wondering if I really need to nuke it and start all over, or not. I'd sure like to find out what the hey the issue is! Yes...it's backed up. Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2020 05:53PM by SteveO.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Nuke & Pave...OR...Find Issue?
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 15, 2020 06:07PM
Assuming the old drive you put in was a SSD?

If you are OK with nuke and pave, do it, but make sure its to a SSD... not anotehr spinner.

We have 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 iMacs all with internal SSD... they run pretty dang good.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: June 15, 2020 06:16PM
I find it a great opportunity for a nuke&pave.
If successful, think twice on the software you install, or it will get the slugs... App Store only for me, and even that is no good warranty.
I’d say ssd, but any money is better spent on a new computer, so...

[support.apple.com]
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 15, 2020 06:36PM
In a perfect world, I’d drop in a new SSD, install a fresh El Capitan, and manually migrate.
Date: June 16, 2020 07:42AM
Thanks, kind souls. Good thoughts. This MB has a HDD. Agree, that money to upgrade would be better spent on a new machina. Nuke & Pave it is.
Posted by: rz
Date: June 16, 2020 08:42AM
My '06 MB with SL has an SSD in it. I just migrated from the old spinner. It flies.

For your issue, I'd probably nuke and pave on a fresh SSD.
Date: June 16, 2020 10:47AM
LOL I know we are all big fans of SSDs. That is always the first solution on any HD thread and it always gives me a chuckle. I have an SSD in my MBP. But as was stated, not a good investment for that old MB, at least for me. It works fine with the spinner, until it doesn't. I will N&P, it will be fine again, and use that money for priority spending.

Probably toward a new machine in the next year or so, and then this MBP with the SSD will filter to my wife. That's not to say she can't do her own thing, she definitely makes her own decisions (and some of mine, LOL); she just doesn't care enough about computing to do that.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: June 16, 2020 01:53PM
lol!
So right... SSDs are great. They also make us forget the difference between having a capable computer and using an adequate one.
Back when I got my first SSD, OWC’s of course, I justified the expense by thinking that I could extract it when my Santa Rosa bit the dust, and keep using it as an external. It never has, but kept me from getting a modern, adequate machine for too many years.
Anyway...
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 20, 2020 05:42AM
just me but I'd skip El Cap (buggy, imho) & run Sierra or High Sierra.

Everymac.com has the details.
(Any macOS installer dated before October 24, 2019 will no longer work.)

Sierra direct Apple download here

High Sierra direct Apple download, use Dosdude1's HS Patcher.

Reportedly, current downloaded installers will not expire until 2029!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018