advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
SSD Question
Posted by: SteveO
Date: June 19, 2020 09:51AM
Fixing a buddy's mid-'07 MacBook (2gb RAM) with a bad SATA HDD. Looking at SSDs. Wondering if it matters which SSD as long as it's the 2.5 inch...will it work? Our sponsor has them, and I will contact them to inquire...but they are double the price of MicroCenter. Not sure if MC is compatible, though. They are 2.5" SATA III drives. Thoughts?

Yes he may be better off putting the money toward a new machine, but for his needs, I think a 120gb or 240gb could work...for $20-$30. He has very limited fundage. Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2020 09:53AM by SteveO.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: SSD Question
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 19, 2020 10:03AM
amazing how capable those still are with a SSD, recent OS, and 4 gigs of RAM. I have 2 marginal Santa Rosa 2007 MBP right here next to me.

Any basic 2.5" SATA SSD will work. I'd do the 240/250 size.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 19, 2020 10:12AM
*any* 2.5" SSD will work. The only thing you might want from our lovely sponsor is their video take apart guide (if they have one) whish are exleccent

I recommend this SP drive with SLC vs TLC drives (like those Kingston drives at mc)

[www.amazon.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: clay
Date: June 19, 2020 10:19AM
yup, any 2.5" SATA SSD will work fine. I will only personally use Samsung SSD's at this point, having had issues with all other brands I've used. But I know that lots of folks here have good experience with a variety of brands, even the no-name cheapies that sometimes show up at bargain basement prices.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 19, 2020 10:40AM
The Inland Professional @ MC have been good for me as have the Silicon Power
jdc linked to (got that same SSD a few weeks ago for $26!).
MicroCenter currently shows the IP-256 for $31 in-store

Another brand I'm fond of is Mushkin (Avant Technology). They make a lot of
SSD's for several other brands. They've also been an OEM for Apple & Dell in both
memory & SSD's. Texas based corp. with a Mexican factory.

I'm now OCD about capacities. I won't buy a 240G if there's a similar 250/256G
available in the same price range; same with 512G/1TB models.
Only SSD's I've had issues with were the 'odd' sizes (240/480/960). ymmv

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: SteveO
Date: June 19, 2020 10:43AM
Cool, thanks, all. Yeah I was looking at the specs on this MB, and was also surprised how capable it still is. 2ghz C2D still runs fine for most internet needs. He only has 2gb RAM, but I guess this machine can see up to 3gb (odd that it can't see 4gb?). He can get 2, 4gb chips for about $20 from our sponsor. Maybe worth it.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 19, 2020 02:10PM
Super easy to change out the drive on those old white MBs. I think I have 3 of them (2006 maybe?) sitting in a drawer.

If he does the SSD and ram upgrade but still only running so-so the next best thing to do is to start shopping for a 2012 13" MBP.

You *should* be able to find one in good shape for $300-400.
Good news is that the SSD he gets today can be transfered to it. And also a super easy install. with an i5, max 16 GB ram and USB 3 will prob run the next couple of OS X... and anything in between =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 19, 2020 02:50PM
SteveO
Cool, thanks, all. Yeah I was looking at the specs on this MB, and was also surprised how capable it still is. 2ghz C2D still runs fine for most internet needs. He only has 2gb RAM, but I guess this machine can see up to 3gb (odd that it can't see 4gb?). He can get 2, 4gb chips for about $20 from our sponsor. Maybe worth it.

Pretty sure those 2007 C2D MacBooks could take 4GB of PC-5300 RAM (2 sticks of 2GB each). Video uses some of the RAM do you don't get the full 4GB for use by the OS.

You also need to be running OSX 10.10.4 or later to enable Apple's TRIM support on the SSD, and I think the last OS that Apple supported on that hardware was 10.7 (Lion).

If he's on 10.6.8 SnowLeopard and you're switching to an SSD, then upgrading the RAM would likely be less noticeable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 296
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018