advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Reolink 4K camera system - Adding an internet hard drive and possibly adding 1-2 wireless cameras.
Posted by: spacescape
Date: June 19, 2020 10:31AM
I purchased this 4K Reolink camera system last October(ish) when they were on sale ($449 Lightning Deal plus I used my CitiCard points to save another $90). First of all, I feel for what I needed/wanted them for they do a great job. Sometimes the stream is a little slow and the system seems to slow down when viewing them from the app. The internal drive is pretty much full so I'm assuming that as it records and overwrites the footage it just bogs it down. Or maybe their NVR's just overall suck compared to other higher end options out there such as our Hikvision system at work. Either way I'm sticking with it at this time. I have a few 3TB drives here at work with little no hours on them (had a raid fail and replaced them all just in case we had to get data off and never had to use them) so I plan on opening up the NVR and installing an extra drive (5TB total). Anyone have any suggestions? I know I can install 4TB externally via a eSATA but figured this would be the least expensive way to experiment for now. I know the extra space is only to store more camera footage. If the settings are stored on the PCB/Board I'm thinking of swapping out the internal 2TB drive as well.

Second question. I would like to possibly add 1 camera directly facing the driveway and "possibly" on the backdoor to my garage. I can either run 1-2 more CAT6 wires to my basement (kind of a little bit of work but I could do it), installing a small wireless POE Switch/Hub in the garage and plugging the cameras into this hub (obviously using this a a wireless access point)... Last option which could be easiest is just to get a wireless Reolink camera and just connect this to the network and "move along". The only think that sucks is that Reolink doesn't have any wireless 4K cameras (they have 1) but I do see a 4MP and a 5MP wireless version (just needs power) but wondering if I should just use all the same cameras.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Reolink 4K camera system - Adding an internet hard drive and possibly adding 1-2 wireless cameras.
Posted by: Carm
Date: June 20, 2020 01:50PM
Are you recording 24/7 or just motion? Is there an option?
I’m considering adding an NVR System. Currently have two cameras on Ring. Reolink does have some of the best deals on the hardware kits.
Re: Reolink 4K camera system - Adding an internet hard drive and possibly adding 1-2 wireless cameras.
Posted by: spacescape
Date: June 21, 2020 08:23PM
Carm
Are you recording 24/7 or just motion? Is there an option?
I’m considering adding an NVR System. Currently have two cameras on Ring. Reolink does have some of the best deals on the hardware kits.

I'm recording 24/7 and I'm pretty sure there is an option to just record motion. I do love like the Reolink but I think the Hikvision system we have work is so much better... but, it costs much more that $400-$500 (and I believe government has banned the use of any IP based Hikvision because they can be hacked). I like the four cameras plugged right into the NVR to avoid adding anything wifi. I personally think resolution of RING are awesome but I do not love the fact that they are owned by Amazon and don't love my security footage up in the cloud (then again, I use Amazon Echo's and my new Acadia just "added" alexa in my car so maybe I need to look at my whole privacy profile).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 273
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018