advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Fixes for text message spam?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 19, 2020 10:38AM
All of a sudden, for the last two weeks or so, I'm now getting this stupid text message spam ... it's all of the same format in terms of the message, but always coming from different numbers -- which I'm assuming are fake and/or spoofed. Edit: iPhone6+ and the latest version of iOS12.

Short of changing my number, is there anything else I should be doing? I've been reporting the texts to AT&T, but of course that doesn't stop them from coming in.

TiA

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2020 10:39AM by PeterB.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Fixes for text message spam?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 19, 2020 11:31AM
Nope. Just delete. They seem to come in bursts then stop.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: June 19, 2020 11:54AM
Racer X
Nope. Just delete. They seem to come in bursts then stop.

I've also reported them to the FTC, and I might also report them to the FCC and donotcall.gov, because I'm pretty sure I'm on the do not call list... I would love these frackers to get a massive fine.

I see that there are services that provide message filtering ... nomorobo and robokiller among them, but of course if I use one of those, any texts I get would go through them first, which I'd rather not do. (I've already turned on "filter unknown senders" within the settings for Messages, but that hasn't apparently fixed the problem.)

Posted by: SteveO
Date: June 19, 2020 12:26PM
Don't know if you've tried - but I always block these callers and texters. I know they'll spoof again, but it makes me feel better for a few moments, ha!
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 19, 2020 04:37PM
I always block spam on my iPhone itself. At least that way, I only deal with it once.
Date: June 19, 2020 08:28PM
SteveO
Don't know if you've tried - but I always block these callers and texters. I know they'll spoof again, but it makes me feel better for a few moments, ha!

Yep, I've blocked, but the problem is that they keep changing phone numbers (which are probably faked/spoofed anyway...)

Date: June 20, 2020 02:24PM
If anyone's still reading this ... looks like MalwareBytes has a free text spam filter for iOS, so I'm going to try that...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018