advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What are some misconceptions to explain to my young niece, e.g. whales are not fish.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 19, 2020 12:36PM
• Spiders are not insects
• There are no polar bears at the South Pole
• There are no penguins at the North Pole
• There are no wild tigers in Africa

What else?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What are some misconceptions to explain to my young niece, e.g. whales are not fish.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 19, 2020 12:39PM
$5 vegan butter is just repackaged $1 margarine

No one can point to a part of a chicken and identify it as a "nugget"

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2020 12:40PM by Racer X.
Re: What are some misconceptions to explain to my young niece, e.g. whales are not fish.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 19, 2020 12:45PM
To further confuse her about whales, the Whale Sharks is a fish

- Hyenas are more closely related to cats than they are to dogs
- The Antarctic is not only a desert, but it is also the dryest desert on the planet

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: June 19, 2020 12:46PM
Planets are not stars.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 19, 2020 12:53PM
Firefly is never coming back.
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: June 19, 2020 12:59PM
This is great. I was formulating a similar post in my mind to share here.

I've come across several people that are convinced that adding salt to a pot of boiling water causes the water to boil at a lower temperature, thus reducing the time it takes to come to a boil, thus reducing the amount of cooking time.

It is quite challenging to convey the idea that adding salt actually raises the temperature at which water boils. Increased salinity does not lower the boiling point. It actually takes longer for the water to come to a boil. However, because the water is boiling at a higher temperature, it ends up taking less time to cook food.

I was wondering if small realizations such as this might help people (me included) to re-evaluate other areas in which we think we fully understand the situation.

Todd's just-thinks-he-knows-which-keys-are-which board
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: June 19, 2020 01:06PM
These are the things I’d have taught my child, if I’d been blessed with one:
- Although the moon circles the earth, the sun does not; the earth circles the sun.
- The hydrogen atom can be defined using a wave equation.
- We are not descended from apes, but rather we and apes have a common ancestor.
- Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.
- Vogon ships hang in the air in much the same way that bricks don’t.
- Much of Pink Floyd‘s output is progressive rock, not psychedelic rock.
- George Formby’s “Little Stick of Blackpool Rock” is actually his phallus. I might have waited until adolescence before divulging that one, though.
Date: June 19, 2020 01:13PM
Steve G.
Firefly is never coming back.

Them's fightin words.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: June 19, 2020 01:15PM
"Fusion Food" is the fashionable way to say "I forgot to go shopping".

Posted by: TheTominator
Date: June 19, 2020 01:18PM
"Testicular" is not an adjective that refers to standardized testing for a curriculum in schools.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: June 19, 2020 01:21PM
Almost without exception:

Pictures taken of aircraft breaking the sound barrier at air shows are never the case.

The horizontal tail at the back of an airplane is always pushing down.

Morena Baccarin is the most gorgeous woman to have ever existed.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: June 19, 2020 01:24PM
Chlamydia sounds like a nice word but you should not name your new baby girl with it.

Paul

Date: June 19, 2020 01:24PM
Carnos Jax

I think that is a fair and truthful statement.

Date: June 19, 2020 01:26PM
Carnos Jax

I thought this thread was about misconceptions and not just stating the obvious.
Date: June 19, 2020 01:30PM
The misconception is that it is possible to believe otherwise.

Date: June 19, 2020 01:31PM
TheTominator
Carnos Jax

I thought this thread was about misconceptions and not just stating the obvious.

A lot of people have the wrong conception.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 19, 2020 01:52PM
S. Pupp

- Although the moon circles the earth, the sun does not; the earth circles the sun.

Not exactly

We say that planets orbit stars, but that’s not the whole truth. Planets and stars actually orbit around their common center of mass. This common center of mass is called the barycenter. Barycenters also help astronomers search for planets beyond our solar system!

[spaceplace.nasa.gov]
Date: June 19, 2020 01:57PM
The baryonic center of the Earth Sun system is very close to the center of the Sun.....I think you can say the Earth orbits the Sun.
Date: June 19, 2020 02:08PM
Not so fast Carnos Jax, from NASA:

Our entire solar system also has a barycenter. The sun, Earth, and all of the planets in the solar system orbit around this barycenter. It is the center of mass of every object in the solar system combined.

Our solar system’s barycenter constantly changes position. Its position depends on where the planets are in their orbits. The solar system's barycenter can range from being near the center of the sun to being outside the surface of the sun. As the sun orbits this moving barycenter, it wobbles around.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: June 19, 2020 02:20PM
Tomatoes are not vegetables.
Nickels are not pure nickel. Pennies are barely copper.
Date: June 19, 2020 02:32PM
MikeF
Nickels are not pure nickel. Pennies are barely copper.

And coppers are mostly water.
With trace amounts of coffee and donuts.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 19, 2020 02:35PM
.....fish gotta' swim......birds gotta' fly....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: June 19, 2020 02:40PM
MikeF

True. The word "vegetable" is a purely culinary term.

A tomato is a fruit, just like an apple. Fungi have fruiting bodies...
Date: June 19, 2020 02:41PM
MikeF

Nickels are not pure nickel.

I have a few wartime nickels that contain 35% silver.
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 19, 2020 02:42PM
“ Tomatoes are not vegetables. “

No, that’s a misconception:

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2020 02:46PM by btfc.
Date: June 19, 2020 02:42PM
And I have copper pennies that are brass, or zinc over steel.

Date: June 19, 2020 03:27PM
Frankenstein was the mad scientist and not the reanimated creature.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: June 19, 2020 04:12PM
What are some misconceptions to explain to my young niece, e.g. whales are not fish.

If she is old enough, an explanation or example of why the statement is false may help to dispel the misconception. e.g. a fish's tail is generally vertical and moves side-to-side, whereas a whale's tail is horizontal and moves up and down. Salt in boiling water, and Chlamydia, can also be explained by examination and understanding of the physical nature of each.

It is also important to clearly distinguish an opinion from a fact. e.g. Morena Baccarin.
Date: June 19, 2020 04:17PM
I showed her the Galileo experiment by dropping a baseball and marble at the same time from the same height and she was amazed.
Date: June 19, 2020 04:23PM
Nice!
Date: June 19, 2020 04:32PM
Dennis S
I showed her the Galileo experiment by dropping a baseball and marble at the same time from the same height and she was amazed.

It is even more amazing when it is a feather and a coin and done in a glass vacuum tube.
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 19, 2020 04:34PM
JUMBO shrimp really aren't........
Posted by: hal
Date: June 19, 2020 04:36PM
freeradical
MikeF

True. The word "vegetable" is a purely culinary term.

A tomato is a fruit, just like an apple. Fungi have fruiting bodies...

I would be advising a child to stay away from such arguments :-)
Posted by: neophyte
Date: June 19, 2020 04:44PM
TheTominator
Dennis S

It is even more amazing when it is a feather and a coin and done in a glass vacuum tube.

IIRC, an Apollo astronaut demonstrated it with a feather and a rock hammer on the moon.
Date: June 19, 2020 04:53PM
neophyte
TheTominator
Dennis S

IIRC, an Apollo astronaut demonstrated it with a feather and a rock hammer on the moon.

I have seen that and will show it to her.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 19, 2020 06:13PM
S. Pupp

As previously stated, they tumble around each other in a manner that only resembles an earth orbit around the sun's center of mass.

"Barycenter."

Reiterating that because the subject of astronomy-misconceptions brings me to one of my favorites: According to the dominant model, the big bang was not the sudden expansion of the universe from a singularity, nor was it the first event in our universe. It occurred simultaneously across all of space after a period of cosmic-inflation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2020 06:16PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: June 19, 2020 07:44PM
TheTominator
Carnos Jax

Ms. Baccarin's beauty might be a great example to use when teaching the difference between Subjective (opinion) and Objective (fact), i.e. just because an opinion is widely or almost universally held that doesn't make it a fact.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Date: June 19, 2020 08:09PM
^^^^prime example of a misconception
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 19, 2020 08:19PM
Mine are admittedly a little esoteric, and from my field:

Viruses are not "alive" or "dead".

Nothing evolves "to do" anything. Natural selection acts upon random mutations, favoring some and not favoring others.

Granddaddy of lists here: [en.wikipedia.org]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: June 19, 2020 08:46PM
I need to tell her the difference in a meteor and meteorite.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 19, 2020 08:53PM
What are some misconceptions to explain

How does a misconception explain or correct a fact?

'A whale is a fish.'

'No, it is not. And concrete doesn't cause batteries to drain.'

'Oh, I get it now- A whale is not a fish, but a dolphinfish is.'

'No– wait- what?!'

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 19, 2020 10:02PM
Dennis S

An asteroid stays in space
A meteor is an asteroid that enters Earths atmosphere but burns up
A meteorite is a meteor that strikes the earth

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: June 19, 2020 10:43PM
Stalagmite and stalactite. Show her a prism. Baking soda and vinegar. Salt changes the freezing point of water.

The egg and the bottle: [coolscienceexperimentshq.com]

Sundials
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 19, 2020 10:45PM
Ombligo
Dennis S

An asteroid stays in space
A meteor is an asteroid that enters Earths atmosphere but burns up
A meteorite is a meteor that strikes the earth

Meteors can be from asteroids or comets or planets. Some famous meteorites are alleged to have come from Mars.

Comets and asteroids aren't distinct. Comets are supposed to be icy, but asteroids can be icy as well. Asteroids are supposed to be rocky, but comets can be rocky.

Asteroids are supposed to stick to asteroid belts (except when they get kicked out and obliterate the dinosaurs), but they also hang out in lagrange points in the orbits of each planet and in the orbits of various moons in our solar system.

The International Astronomical Union defines a planet as an object that: 1. orbits the sun; 2. has sufficient mass to be round, or nearly round; 3. is not a satellite (moon) of another object; 4. has removed debris and small objects from the area around its orbit. But the fact that "trojan asteroids" exist means that none of what we know of as planets in our solar system actually meet the definition.

Date: June 19, 2020 11:14PM
She loves the solar system. She even wrote a "book" about it. She will argue that Pluto is a planet.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 20, 2020 12:00AM
You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

It is what it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2020 12:29AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: June 20, 2020 02:49AM
Honesty and hard work are always rewarded.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 20, 2020 05:18AM
Marie Curie was the first Woman to win a Nobel prize. Then she won another one in a different area.
You can make ice in a hot desert without refrigeration.
Date: June 20, 2020 05:19AM
Girls don’t have cooties. Boys their age are just less mature. Ok, stupid works too.
Date: June 20, 2020 06:55AM
Everest is not the tallest mountain in the world. That honor goes to Mauna Kea in Hawaii. 10 km from base ;(underwater) to summit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 225
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018