advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
MR Forum Video Conference Series: Eliminating audio "pops" pronouncing p's & condenser mics
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 20, 2020 04:00PM
Welcome to the MR Forum Video Conference Series, where we attempt to give helpful hints on improving how others view you.

The following is based on my training and experience years of pointing lenses at people for money.

Feel free to add information.

These are all suggestions so do what is best for your situation.

You may ask for a refund at any time.

File this under higher levels of quality that most people may not need.

I have been watching various news and TV shows and I can tell when the mic is not very good. It makes an impression on me in a slightly annoying way. Nothing major but I wonder why a tv or entertainment outlet wouldn't ship a better mic to their contributors working remotely.

I have noticed audio quality is much better when employing condenser mics and these audio filters that reduce popping noises that happen when the letter p is pronounced. I have noticed some bloggers have the mic and this filter showing while others have the mic nearby but off camera.

Deco Gear Universal Pop Filter w/ Goose Neck Mic Stand Clip
$7
[slickdeals.net]

Condenser Mics [www.amazon.com]
These type of mic provide a less tinny and fuller audio sound, more similar to being in the same room as someone.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2020 04:07PM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: MR Forum Video Conference Series: Eliminating audio "pops" pronouncing p's & condenser mics
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 20, 2020 05:22PM
.....recently got yelled at when I popped........and locked......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Re: MR Forum Video Conference Series: Eliminating audio "pops" pronouncing p's & condenser mics
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 20, 2020 05:44PM
The MacBook Pro 16" Mic sounds pretty good. This interview with Phil Schiller was recorded using the internal mic [www.youtube.com]

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: August West
Date: June 20, 2020 11:23PM
Mic placement also helps. IIRC, I used to move a VO mic to about 35 degrees off axis to reduce pops, sibilance, and fricatives. Be careful with condensers increasing ambient noise and potential feedback.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 21, 2020 10:31AM
A headset-mic is best for conference calls, video chat, anything that involves you talking and listening. People dislike them for good reasons: Anything you gotta wear is less comfortable, and you might be tethered which is so last decade.

There are questions of cost and convenience and time spent on calls.

But for the cheap, wired headset setup many pitfalls are avoided:

1) all concerns about audio feedback are deleted, without someone having to interrupt the meeting to ask someone to turn off their secondary audio they shouldn’t have had active in the first place somehow

2) you’ve now got a mic (even a crappy one) that picks up you and not the room. That’s a major acoustical advantage.

3) better mic and earpiece along with comfort = money

4) the standard rules apply: make the connect direct (analog or USB) if you can; Bluetooth can also be decent, but it remains one more thing to worry about regarding a battery to charge, the pairing and so on

Anyway that’s my 2 cents. I’d be more enthusiastic about a more pro-level audio setup if you have a dedicated and quiet office ... which then leans more towards a studio environment. That’s where the better mic, a quality pre-amp (camera and computer mic inputs SUCK), room conditioning and so on pay real dividends. Youtubers slowly learned what podcasters already knew: it takes effort to achieve quality audio.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 21, 2020 11:59AM
Alex Lindsay and Leo Leporte were discussing mics and Alex made a point that some mics needed to be inf front of the mouth and some to the side, to control popping, similar to what August West said.

The foam covers seen on various mics, besides reducing wind and some ambient noise, also reduce popping.

Obviously, that only works with some mics.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 21, 2020 11:48PM
pRICE cUBE
The MacBook Pro 16" Mic sounds pretty good. This interview with Phil Schiller was recorded using the internal mic [www.youtube.com]

How well did it capture the sound of Schiller's nuts being punched?

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 192
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020