advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Where do I get Mac OS installer?
Posted by: celliott
Date: June 22, 2020 11:19AM
This question is related to an issue I am dealing with in a thread down a few regarding a Mac Pro 5,1 firmware update. Since some people won't read that one, I started this new thread concerning OS installer files.

So, anyone know where I can get an installer for Mojave. Apple seems to be playing hide and seek with this stuff. I'm currently running Mojave but want to reinstall it on another drive to see if I can get the firmware of my Mac Pro 5,1 updated. Assuming I can locate a Mojave installer, should I just do an install on the drive, or should I first install High Sierra on the drive and then do an update on it to Mojave to try to catch the firmware update?

If installing High Sierra first, then where do I get the High Sierra installer? I'm getting pretty ticked at Apple. Used to be able to go back and download the old installers, but apparently not anymore. I can't find them on the Mac App store either, only Catalina. The only things I can find on Apple's downloads page are updater files for already existing installs.

I have most of the old installers, but I've read that because of a certificates issue, they don't work anymore.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Where do I get Mac OS installer?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 22, 2020 11:25AM
GGD posted this link nearly a month ago - [support.apple.com]. Click on the link in Step 4, and it should take right to the Mojave download in the App Store.
Date: June 22, 2020 11:30AM
Thanks, Joe. I did a search but missed that one somehow. Much appreciated.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 22, 2020 11:34AM
Easy to not find it by search, it appears Apple has it on the App Store, but set to not show on searches within the store.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: June 22, 2020 12:06PM
You can search for all of the recent versions of OS X back to at least 10.11 by using the search terms "How to upgrade to" and the name of the OS. It brings up the page for each OS like JoeH linked to.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 22, 2020 01:40PM
You can also go to dosdude1's software page.
Download the 'patcher' for the macOS you want. Run the patcher. Once it opens,
on its menu bar click on Tools > Download macOS xxxxx..., it will fetch
the installer direct from the mothership. Once that's done, you can quit the patcher.

For example, here's the link to the High Sierra patcher.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Date: June 22, 2020 08:26PM
JoeH- your tip work great. I got the installers I needed.

I ended up installing High Sierra on an external drive and booted from it with everything else removed- all internal drives, my USB 3 PCI card and my PCI Mojave PCI boot drive. When it booted, I downloaded the Mojave installer and proceeded with the "upgrade". The installer reported that I needed the firmware upgraded, so I went through that process.

I rebooted the High Sierra drive and cancelled the Mojave install- all I wanted was the firmware updated. I checked in About This Mac->System Report. The firmware was now listed as 144.0.0.0.0! Yay!

I shut down and put everything else back together (removing the High Sierra disk) and rebooted. Everything came back fine.

My only discouragement is that the holding down option key at startup to choose the boot system/start-up drive worked when running the High Sierra disk. With my normal setup with the boot drive SSD on a PCI card, the option key still doesn't work. All I continue to get is a white screen and the mouse arrow cursor that goes nowhere. I'm guessing it has something to do with the System selector not seeing the OS on the PCI card when I boot with the option key. That's all I can come up with. But at least I have the firmware updated. Thanks for all of the input everyone!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 270
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018