advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Played a hunch and it payed off BIG!
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 22, 2020 11:48PM
So I caught bits and pieces of the news from today's WWDC keynote during the day and was really excited to sit down and watch the whole thing when I got home from work. On the drive home I got to thinking: "Hey, I wonder if Apple might make the keynote available to watch on the Apple TV..."

Got home, changed into something more comfortable, settled in on the sofa, turned on my gear, brought my Apple TV on screen, and.... yes! Listed front and center was a link to the keynote!

Long story short: I watched the keynote in 4K resolution on my 65" OLED display -- in glorious Dolby Vision, natch! It looked amazing. Remember when Steve used to talk about OS X being lickable? Big Sur and iOS 14 came pretty damn close to that for me tonight.

For anybody who hasn't watched it yet and has an Apple TV, I HIGHLY recommend going this route. Even in "just" 1080p, I'm certain it will look far more amazing than on any Mac or iPad screen.

As far as the content of the keynote itself:

WOW.

They showed some amazing things in this keynote, especially with regard to the transition to ARM. Big Sur looks like it might be the OS I'd hoped Catalina would be, and I'm not bothered one bit by the fact that mac OS looks more than ever like iOS -- I think they've done a TERRIFIC job of bringing them together visually while still giving each platform its own distinct look. Honestly, I didn't think they were up to the task. They've even brought color back to the Finder! More than once while watching, I wondered if we were seeing the first fruits of Jonny Ives' departure.

Apple seems as prepared to make this transition a success as it was for the transition from PowerPC to Intel. I love that they have leveraged familiar names and technologies that helped make that transition successful -- Rosetta and Universal binaries -- for this go-around. It comforts me that Apple recognizes the value of continuity with past successes.

Tim and Co. have been telling us for some time now that Apple is as committed to the Mac as it has ever been. Many of us did not believe that. I know I didn't -- until today. Suffice to say I haven't been this excited about the Mac platform in a LONG time.

It is what it is.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2020 12:02AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Played a hunch and it payed off BIG!
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 23, 2020 02:18AM
I used this with my Roku Premiere to the same effect. It’s been working great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2020 02:19AM by Blankity Blank.
Preach it, N-OS!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 23, 2020 05:27AM
It looked amazing.

I know, right?!

It looked better than any Apple Keynote I've ever seen, and that's just on my mini and Apple LED ACD.

In 4K on a 65" OLED... I'm more than a little envious.

I'll watch it again on my 5K iMac to see if I get a little more out of it, but it'll only be 1080.

And 27".

WOW.

This is all I'm sayin'.

I am envious.

This was a great Keynote.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: spacescape
Date: June 23, 2020 06:48AM
I didn't watch it but it seemed much the releases seemed better than the past 'yawns'. I need to update my iMac at home and now I want to see if their is a ARM timeline. I've been through probably all/most the transitions. Performa 630 (040) to an 8500 (604 PowerPC) to an PowerPC G3 upgrade, Dual 533 G4 to dual 1.8 G5 Cheese Grater to the iMac running Intel, 15" MacBook Pro to my 13" MacBook Pro (i7). Went from MacOS 7.1, 7.5, 8.0, 9.0, PowerPC osX to Intel osX and now we will be going to ARM. One thing I've never loved is compatibility when they move onto a new processor. Wondering if ARM will be Intel compatible or not? Will Windows run on new ARM based macs? or will Windows compatibility gone? Just hoping Apple codes so the currently supported APPS still run until ARM compiled apps are released.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 23, 2020 07:17AM
....thought this would be about OTB........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 23, 2020 08:41AM
Keep in mind that this wasn’t really a “live” happening like previous Apple events.

Because of COVID-19, this was a highly produced and edited, “in the can” video from start to finish.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: June 23, 2020 08:44AM
DeusxMac
Keep in mind that this wasn’t really a “live” happening like previous Apple events.

Because of COVID-19, this was a highly produced and edited, “in the can” video from start to finish.

Maybe they'll do this going forward - bet it was a lot less $$ than a live event.
Date: June 23, 2020 08:54AM
spacescape
Just hoping Apple codes so the currently supported APPS still run until ARM compiled apps are released.

Apple is using the same winning combination of Universal binaries (native Intel and ARM code in a single file) and Rosetta 2 (Intel emulator) that made the transition from PowerPC to Intel a success.

It is what it is.
Date: June 23, 2020 08:55AM
DeusxMac

Clearly. Your point being?

It is what it is.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 23, 2020 09:05AM
N-OS X-tasy!
DeusxMac

A lot can be done to polish a pre-recorded event before "airing". Cutting out awkward pauses or flubs goes a long way to making a strong presentation. That said, they also did a great job in keeping that live feel.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 23, 2020 09:44AM
....I got the horse right here,
The name is Paul Revere,
And here's a guy that says if the weather's clear,
Can do,
Can do,
This guys says the horse can do,
If he says the horse can do......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: June 23, 2020 01:36PM

My question as well.

The 'how' is really irrelevant.

That it was recorded and edited is irrelevant.

The 'I know how they did it!' is not a reveal and not relevant.

That the video quality was great is relevant.

That it had great content is relevant.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Date: June 23, 2020 01:39PM
I didn't watch it but... Just hoping Apple codes so the currently supported APPS still...

That was addressed in the Keynote.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 23, 2020 01:44PM
spacescape
I didn't watch it but it seemed much the releases seemed better than the past 'yawns'. I need to update my iMac at home and now I want to see if their is a ARM timeline. I've been through probably all/most the transitions. Performa 630 (040) to an 8500 (604 PowerPC) to an PowerPC G3 upgrade, Dual 533 G4 to dual 1.8 G5 Cheese Grater to the iMac running Intel, 15" MacBook Pro to my 13" MacBook Pro (i7). Went from MacOS 7.1, 7.5, 8.0, 9.0, PowerPC osX to Intel osX and now we will be going to ARM. One thing I've never loved is compatibility when they move onto a new processor. Wondering if ARM will be Intel compatible or not? Will Windows run on new ARM based macs? or will Windows compatibility gone? Just hoping Apple codes so the currently supported APPS still run until ARM compiled apps are released.

Surface Pro X is ARM based. Would think that it may run on the ARM based Mac's but not sure.
Date: June 23, 2020 01:48PM
Maybe they'll do this going forward - bet it was a lot less $$ than a live event.

As one who'd never attend a WWDC, I found this to be a terrific production, separate from the stellar content..

One of the downsides of this is the lack of networking between and among attendees, which is often cited by attendees as a big benefit.

But I don't go, so this would be fine by me.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: bfd
Date: June 24, 2020 03:24PM
With SJ Theater being a main attraction on the Apple Campus, they can't afford to have it sit empty forever …
Date: June 24, 2020 10:53PM
bfd
With SJ Theater being a main attraction on the Apple Campus, they can't afford to have it sit empty forever …

I was thinking the same thing as I began to watch the keynote -- not so much that they can't afford to as they wouldn't want to.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 224
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018