Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Word of The Day: Melisma
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 24, 2020 03:47PM
[en.wikipedia.org]

Melismais the singing of a single syllable of text while moving between several different notes in succession. Music sung in this style is referred to as melismatic, as opposed to syllabic, in which each syllable of text is matched to a single note. An informal term for melisma is a vocal run.[2]

The use of melisma is a common feature of artists such as Deniece Williams, Stevie Wonder, Luther Vandross, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Beyoncé, Christina Aguilera, among others.[6][7] The use of melismatic vocals in pop music slowly grew in the 1980s. Deniece Williams topped the Billboard Hot 100 chart in May 1984, with "Let's Hear It for the Boy" with her melismatic vocals. Although other artists used melisma before, Houston's rendition of Dolly Parton's ballad "I Will Always Love You" pushed the technique into the mainstream in the 1990s.[6] The trend in R&B singers is considered to have been popularized by Mariah Carey's song "Vision of Love", which was released and topped the charts in 1990, and went on to be certified gold.

As late as 2007, melismatic singers such as Leona Lewis were still scoring big hits, but around 2008–2009, this trend reverted to how it was prior to Carey and Houston's success – singers with less showy styles such as Kesha and Cheryl Cole began to outsell new releases by Carey and Christina Aguilera, ending nearly two decades of the style's dominance of pop-music vocals.[5]

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Word of The Day: Melisma
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 24, 2020 03:56PM
....she married him for a reason [ this goes on other side? ]......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ammo
Date: June 24, 2020 04:39PM
Very interesting - I’ve heard that effect, but didn’t know what it is called. A lot of singers attempt this, but I think you have to be a very skilled vocalist to pull it off.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Posted by: RE:up
Date: June 24, 2020 04:40PM
Voce Poco Fa
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: June 24, 2020 04:47PM
Who are all those people? Nary a one a coloratura.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 24, 2020 05:25PM
Lew Zealand

[www.youtube.com]

Good examples here:

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: June 24, 2020 06:31PM
PeterB
Lew Zealand

[www.youtube.com]

Good examples here:

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, I was being a bit snarky. I own about a dozen albums from the named singers and Vision of Love is basically what got me into listening to Mariah Carey and is one of my fave songs from her, along with Vanishing, also a melismatic song. Though I don't rememebr hearing that term before today.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 24, 2020 06:59PM
Lew Zealand
PeterB
Lew Zealand

[www.youtube.com]

Good examples here:

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, I was being a bit snarky. I own about a dozen albums from the named singers and Vision of Love is basically what got me into listening to Mariah Carey and is one of my fave songs from her, along with Vanishing, also a melismatic song. Though I don't rememebr hearing that term before today.

No problem ... and crazy as it may sound, I've actually never been a fan of Mariah Carey -- to each his/her own, though I recognize the melisma as being a very nice vocal talent.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: June 24, 2020 11:10PM
Lew Zealand
Though I don't rememebr hearing that term before today.

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 25, 2020 08:27AM
Also known as The Style Made Famous by American Idol Singers (...why sing one note when you can warble twenty?)
Date: June 25, 2020 11:03AM
Article Accelerator
Lew Zealand
Though I don't rememebr hearing that term before today.

[forums.macresource.com]

Exactly why I try to use the word "remember". There's being introduced to a concept or person, and then there's remembering it/them. For me it's 2 rather different things. Stupid memory.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 25, 2020 12:56PM
pdq
Also known as The Style Made Famous by American Idol Singers (...why sing one note when you can warble twenty?)

Yeah, like most things, this is one that can be overdone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 226
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018