advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Thoughts on swamp coolers/evaporative coolers? Sub $200 if possible.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 25, 2020 12:46AM
Small bedroom that, for reasons that don’t bear going into, must have the door closed during the day.

Outside temps will top out in the low 110s, northern exposure, one medium sized set of windows with shades.

Swamp coolers worth the money? Any problems with them running unattended during standard business hours? Any unexpectedly high impact on the electric bill?

Thoughts appreciated.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Thoughts on swamp coolers/evaporative coolers? Sub $200 if possible.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: June 25, 2020 12:49AM
If you’re in a low humidity environment, they’ll work great. What part of the country are you located?
Posted by: davemchine
Date: June 25, 2020 12:57AM
Twenty something years ago we had a large window unit and it worked very well. Keep in mind evaporative cooling tops off around 16-18 degrees. Also, it is most effective in dry air. Women sometimes dislike swamp coolers because the humidity can cause problems with their hair.

About twelve years ago I had a smaller unit that was placed into a smallish room and it didn't do much. Since it drew air from the room vs outside I suspect it quickly made the air in the room too humid to be effective. It also swelled the doorframe and made paper soggy.

2 cents.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 25, 2020 03:13AM
They need to have a separate intake and an exhaust window, preferably opposite each other.

I've seen them here in Sacramento in greenhouses. One end of the building is intake, and the opposite side is exhaust.

You also have to consider the prevailing winds. Here, when it gets hot, the prevailing winds come from the north. This means that you don't want the exhaust to be on the north side of a building.

When they're well planned and thought out, they can be quite effective. If not...
Posted by: rz
Date: June 25, 2020 08:25AM
Carnos Jax
If you’re in a low humidity environment, they’ll work great. What part of the country are you located?

Agree with this. I live in Central FL, so a swamp cooler is almost useless. However, I do have an evaporative humidifier to keep the humidity up in my guitar room, not for cooling purposes. But it does seem to lower them temperature in that room by about one degree.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 25, 2020 08:55AM
.....this is a.....Swamp Thing.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 25, 2020 03:46PM
Hm. It’s sounding like a swamp cooler may not fit the bill.

The area is Northern California, right on the border of a zone with desirable humidity levels. But after spending a ~100° day in the room with a simple box fan on full blast, I’m having doubts about a cooler being enough.

The aforementioned ‘situation’ requiring a closed door is keeping two cat ritters apart that don’t do well together unsupervised. I’d rather not drop north of $250 on a portable air conditioner (no suitable windows for a traditional air conditioner), but there’s only so many ways to go.

I’ve got one Hail Mary idea for creating an improvised “door” with netting and a baby door, that would allow free airflow with the rest of the house, but might still work to keep the peace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2020 03:47PM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: Carm
Date: June 25, 2020 08:58PM
DIY screen door, pet safe screen. Better than having another thing draining the electricity.

Screen door with hinges or make your own with window screen parts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2020 09:00PM by Carm.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 25, 2020 09:27PM
Carm
DIY screen door, pet safe screen. Better than having another thing draining the electricity.

Screen door with hinges or make your own with window screen parts.

Like that idea. Window screen might not do the trick. You might need chicken wire or the like.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Carm
Date: June 25, 2020 10:25PM
Simple enough, two wood 1x1 frames with Chicken wire or better ( each one half the door height and easier to move)
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 26, 2020 09:03AM
Regular insect screens will not stop a cat with claws who wants to get through. It may deter them for long enough, but I would use a 1/4" metal wire mesh instead, for a long term solution.

Amazon has this under "Hardware Cloth" - [www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 26, 2020 02:11PM
mikebw has a good idea with the 1/4 inch wire mesh. It will keep out animals/kids up to 40 pounds. You can set up an opaque privacy screen if you need a sound/visual barrier too.

Blankity Blank, it really depends on the dewpoint at your location. When I worked at the refinery, the cooling towers would only get to within 10°F of the dewpoint. It can be done in a home, but it takes a pretty big setup to do it properly without increasing the humidity in the house.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 225
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018