advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone use LawDepot or LegalZoom or can recommend a similar place for a simple form?
Posted by: reezekeys
Date: June 25, 2020 11:02AM
I'm in the position of needing to have my wife endorse a check made out to me so we can deposit the funds quickly. I'm thinking I need to get a "Financial Power Of Attorney" form for this and I see several places on the net that offer them for free... after you fill stuff out. I didn't go that far though since of course my first thought is "FREE? WHAT'S THE CATCH?"

My Google sleuthing skills have turned up sites that sell these forms along with others that warn about them – but the warnings seem to be more about unforeseen issues that would benefit from an actual lawyer's advice. My situation is much simpler – a one-time event with a single check we are getting that I may not be around to endorse, but we need to deposit ASAP. Anyone been in a situation like this and might have advice as to whether a simple POA form for my state, one that I sign & get notarized of course, is a viable course of action? Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone use LawDepot or LegalZoom or can recommend a similar place for a simple form?
Posted by: archipirata
Date: June 25, 2020 11:16AM
I used legal zoom a few years ago for a single document but they enrolled me into a monthly subscription without my knowledge and it took a couple of months and calls to the credit card company to get them to stop. The document was fine and the process easy but I'd avoid them.

Athens, OH
Re: Anyone use LawDepot or LegalZoom or can recommend a similar place for a simple form?
Posted by: PeterW
Date: June 25, 2020 11:26AM
Is there someone who is going to contest your endorsing of the check? Banks no longer (if they ever did) check signatures against your sig card. As long as the check doesn’t bounce, they’re happy. Just have her sign it with your name and deposit it.
Date: June 25, 2020 11:41AM
I know - I sign her name all the time on checks. She is paranoid about doing the opposite. I think I may just have to convince her in this case.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 25, 2020 11:41AM
Nolo Press (https://www.nolo.com/) may have what you're looking for.

It is what it is.
Date: June 25, 2020 11:43AM
archipirata
I used legal zoom a few years ago for a single document but they enrolled me into a monthly subscription without my knowledge and it took a couple of months and calls to the credit card company to get them to stop. The document was fine and the process easy but I'd avoid them.

Sigh.. sounds like par for the course. Thanks. I've been down that road with an "SAT Prep" company, actually would up getting burned for around $100 even after I notified the bank and new charges came in.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: June 25, 2020 12:27PM
I use those free forms all the time, no problem.
Date: June 25, 2020 12:28PM
Ok, good to know, thanks!
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 25, 2020 04:33PM
When depositing a check, you might not even need an endorsement, particularly if it's at an ATM. Call your bank and see what they say.

I forgot to endorse a check once when I deposited it at an ATM. I called the bank because I thought it was a big deal. Their answer was basically "it doesn't matter".

Call them and see, but as long as it's made out to you, it might not matter.

Date: June 25, 2020 04:57PM
Exactly, AllGold. I was gonna tell my wife to sign my name and deposit at an ATM. I've gotten checks made out to me "dba/" with a music publishing company name that's probably defunct (I filed a d/b/a 25 years ago in a different state so I could get songwriting royalties). No issues.
Posted by: wurm
Date: June 25, 2020 07:50PM
AllGold
When depositing a check, you might not even need an endorsement, particularly if it's at an ATM. Call your bank and see what they say.

I forgot to endorse a check once when I deposited it at an ATM. I called the bank because I thought it was a big deal. Their answer was basically "it doesn't matter".

Call them and see, but as long as it's made out to you, it might not matter.

I'm pretty sure that's still valid. Just write For Deposit Only and the account number and deposit it. As long as you don't want to cash it or get some cash back, you should be fine.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: June 26, 2020 10:16AM
I don't know about your particular bank, but tellers at mine told me not to bother with "for deposit only" or anything like that as they don't use it anymore. Whenever I deposit a check for my son, I write the account number on the back. No signature has been required for a long time (but these deposits go into an account with his name on it).

If you don't want to go into a bank, you can use the night depository box. For some reason I prefer that to the ATM — not sure why, though! Old Fogette
Date: June 26, 2020 10:38AM
I always thought "for deposit only" was a safety measure in case you lost the check or it somehow got into the wrong hands – whoever got it wouldn't be able to just sign your name and cash it.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 26, 2020 03:24PM
Reeze,

I was under the same impression and for good reason. This article from US News sums it up nicely:

[money.usnews.com]

I like how the concept is broached in this article:

[www.cnbwaco.com]

Robert
Date: July 08, 2020 01:04PM
AllGold

Bingo, we have a winner. I called the bank and they said exactly that. They did add that my wife should write "for deposit only" on the back of the check – not sure why since it's being deposited at an ATM. Anyway... I was told my endorsement wasn't needed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 213
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018