advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Fake meat sausages
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 25, 2020 11:40AM
I saw some this morning in my local supermarket. They had a prominent sign in front of them to warn customers that they were not real meat. It was the "Beyond Meat" brand.

The price was $7.99 for a 14 ounce package of four "sausages".

There was a $4.99 package of 5 sausages weighing 19 ounces made with real meat near them.

I have no idea why people by this vegetarian sausage that's intended to fake someone out that they're eating a genuine sausage.

If someone wants to be a vegetarian, that's fine, just eat food that's designed from the get go to be vegetarian. I'll admit that it can be quite tasty. But this fake junk...just why?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2020 11:46AM by freeradical.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Fake meat susages
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 25, 2020 11:41AM
.....Burger King breakfast sandwich now has Impossible sausage......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: June 25, 2020 11:44AM
NewtonMP2100

Hmm, that's interesting, but I haven't set foot in a Burger King for decades.
Date: June 25, 2020 11:50AM
.....ladies have known about this for years.......fake sausage......not what was promised.....

Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 25, 2020 11:51AM
freeradical
NewtonMP2100

Hmm, that's interesting, but I haven't set foot in a Burger King for decades.

Clark Howard, radio consumer advocate and proud carnivore, actually prefers the Burger King Impossible Burger to the animal fare.

Starbucks has brought the Impossible Breakfast Sandwich to my area so I plan to try that at some point.

No one promised vegetarian fare would be less expensive or even healthier for you. One can like the flavor of meat but not like the killing of an animal to attain it. So there are a number of reasons 'why' there is a market for fake meat.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2020 11:56AM by graylocks.
Re: Fake meat sausages
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 25, 2020 11:54AM
>But this fake junk...just why?

I've heard its reasonably tasty.

Reduced impact on the planet.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 25, 2020 11:55AM
I'm sticking to falafel if I want a meat substitute in my sandwich. (And I know that it's not really a meat substitute.) I also like things made with grains and mushrooms to get that meat bite.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: June 25, 2020 12:02PM
There are other meat alternatives without quite such a high price. Field Roast sausages are made from seitan (wheat gluten, used in Asia for centuries). Pretty tasty, quite a bit of "chew" to them.
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 25, 2020 12:54PM
Some people aren't trying to be vegetarians or vegans. They just don't want to harm animals and it's difficult because these creatures are so delicious. A fake meat facsimile provides an avenue "towards" replacing the enjoyment and satisfaction of how awesome animal meat is.

Everybody assumes that you're trying to be healthy. That's a presumptuous assumption (I see you vegans).
Posted by: jonny
Date: June 25, 2020 01:15PM
mattkime

agree smiley
Big into Impossible burger. Good stuff.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: June 25, 2020 01:15PM
I've gotten to the point where I prefer Beyond Burgers to regular burgers. Its all we make at home anymore. I can't eat many of the other veggie burgers as they nearly all contain corn, to which I am highly sensitive. By extension, we have started using the sausage products in pastas, as it give more variety. Other times we sub in sweet potatoes.

We also enjoy the "chickenless nuggets" from Trader Joes. They have a plain version and an orange sauce version. Seitan based and quite good.

The rest of my family is vegetarian so its convenient to have these other options. I still enjoy someBBQ or bacon every so often....

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: June 25, 2020 01:26PM
......so you worship Seitan [ Satan ].....????

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 25, 2020 01:27PM
mattkime

It probably isn't all that much better for the planet. A lot goes into making those things.

But like battery-powered cars, there should come a tipping point where they are far and away better for the planet and easily distinguished as such.

Also... Veggies are generally healthier than meat. Again, hard to say for sure since they're loaded with salt and fat. ...The fat may be a healthier fat than animal-fat.

But the best reason to buy Beyond is for the flavor. Beyond burgers are freakin' awesome.

(Impossible burgers are okay, but Beyond really has that "better than meat" thing down.)

Date: June 25, 2020 01:29PM
....also for treatment of animals.......

Posted by: GGD
Date: June 25, 2020 02:15PM
Sarcany
But the best reason to buy Beyond is for the flavor. Beyond burgers are freakin' awesome.

(Impossible burgers are okay, but Beyond really has that "better than meat" thing down.)

I saw them at Costco and bought some for my wife who avoids meat to try. She loves them, and now eats them regularly, everyone in the family that tried the Beyond Burger agrees that they did a really good job at "better than meat". Never tried the Impossible Burger so I can't compare the two.

Costco has a package of 8 quarter pound Beyond Burgers for $14.99, was on sale last trip for $11.99.
Date: June 25, 2020 03:49PM
GGD
Costco has a package of 8 quarter pound Beyond Burgers for $14.99, was on sale last trip for $11.99.

i picked Beyonds up last week from Costco. Even my son likes them and he generally believes it's not a real meal unless something died. Of course, I did add bacon and cheese to that night's burgers.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2020 03:50PM by graylocks.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 25, 2020 05:08PM
I want any meat-pretender to be cheaper than the actual meat.

Want me to help save the planet?

Make the meat substitute taste as good as or better than meat, and cheaper too.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 25, 2020 05:42PM
The price was $7.99 for a 14 ounce package of four "sausages".
Wow, that's over $9 per pound!
While I have no issue with meat substitutes which pass my 'taste & feel' test,
I've yet to figure out the pricing of same.

For me, seafood is a better alternative. Catfish, crab, shrimp & more shrimp!
old fogey smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Date: June 25, 2020 05:55PM
MrNoBody

While I have no issue with meat substitutes which pass my 'taste & feel' test,
I've yet to figure out the pricing of same.

It's extremely highly processed, which always drives up the price.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: June 25, 2020 06:36PM
As far as cost comparisons between meat and no-meat products go, the government is reported to pay $38B a year to subsidize meat production in the U.S. And as meat substitutes gain market share, they should become cheaper.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 25, 2020 07:27PM
don't forget "vegan butter" You know, $4-$6 margarine.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: June 25, 2020 07:56PM
Ammo
And as meat substitutes gain market share, they should become cheaper.

Beans and rice are already cheap.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 25, 2020 07:58PM
Racer X
don't forget "vegan butter" You know, $4-$6 margarine.

I suppose people are falling for that sh!! too. I saw the ad on TV and I was like damn that's just expensive margarine. They shouldn't be allowed to use the word butter just like the Almond milk I drink should be called Almond Juice. If you look up the definition of Milk or Butter neither meets the requirements. Also Peanut Butter should be Peanut Spread, there's no butter in it. Can you tell I live on a farm yet.

Oh BTW: we paid $5 and change for 3 lbs. of Jimmy Dean real sausage at Sam's yesterday.

Took this pic yesterday while in our sons farm equipment shed, there a calf lot right beside it, they're being weaned off to grow his herd, once they get old enough to breed they'll go back to the main herd.

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2020 08:01PM by Grateful11.
Date: June 25, 2020 08:51PM
that's a sweet face. Dibs on the flatiron steak, brisket and beef "shoulder"

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 25, 2020 09:06PM

this is the essence of the disconnect with raising animals for meat - they've become cheaper than vegetables. does any sane person think that should be the case? why should we be able to eat a steak for $5.00? if you've ever eaten meat in other parts of the world, it is an eye-opener. primarily, it's so much tastier, but it's also commensurately more expensive than here, and more expensive than other parts of the meal.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 25, 2020 09:36PM
Racer X
that's a sweet face. Dibs on the flatiron steak, brisket and beef "shoulder"

smileys with beer That one's a keeper for the breeding herd but he sells other calves when they're 6 months old. This one is out of the old bull so he can keep her. He's trying to get to about 45-50 head of breeding stock. Most of the calves are going to people growing their herd, they're not cheap.

The farms YouTube channel.
[www.youtube.com]

Grateful11
Date: June 25, 2020 09:47PM
.....sausage.....fest.....???

Posted by: tuqqer
Date: June 26, 2020 07:27AM
jonny
mattkime

agree smiley
Big into Impossible burger. Good stuff.

Same. We're total fans of the Beyond Beef. It's quite delicious. But I get freeradical's question, seems odd to me, too, and I love the stuff. There's a new one out there that mimics brats, and growing up in Wisconsin, the taste is deep in my DNA.

Another reason: inflammation. My body can't handle red meat, some of my joints get inflamed about 12 hours later.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 26, 2020 10:21AM
RAMd®d

Way to be part of the solution! old fogey smiley

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: June 26, 2020 10:36AM
....this sounds like the name of a bad pron movie.....

Date: June 26, 2020 12:03PM
or a weird mad lib.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 26, 2020 02:30PM
Ammo
As far as cost comparisons between meat and no-meat products go, the government is reported to pay $38B a year to subsidize meat production in the U.S. And as meat substitutes gain market share, they should become cheaper.

And when the substitutes gain share, the subsidy will simply go up.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: June 26, 2020 02:44PM
rjmacs
RAMd®d

Way to be part of the solution! old fogey smiley

Sounds reasonable to me. Most of the time we've used Cell Phones, the carriers subsidized the cost of the phones. Uber and Lyft would have been stillborn if they didn't overpay the drivers, and undercharge for the ride during the first years.

Tesla threw in the SuperChargers to get a toehold. When there's a gas station on every corner, why would people buy their cars initially? Now they're hip. Most people aren't buying them for the ecological wonderment of them.

If you're going to sell fake meat for more than the cost of real meat, then you'll get business and pressure the industry, but they'll just be a decent sized niche. I'm sure it'll go down when there are more competitors.
Date: June 26, 2020 04:33PM
Tried the Starbucks Impossible Sausage Breakfast Sandwich today. I liked it. The sausage was flavorful and not oversodiumed and the roll it's on is nice. As with all fast food places I ordered it with No Egg. All fast food eggs taste weird to me. They can't possibly come from real chickens.

Posted by: GGD
Date: June 26, 2020 06:27PM
graylocks
They can't possibly come from real chickens.

Said as you eat sausage that never saw a pig.
Date: June 26, 2020 08:07PM
GGD
graylocks

the plant based meats don’t claim to come from the real thing. the fast food egg products do.

Date: June 26, 2020 10:29PM
graylocks
GGD
graylocks

the plant based meats don’t claim to come from the real thing. the fast food egg products do.

I'm gonna try one tomorrow using my REward (ugh, I hate the new reward structure). I can handle the egg.
Date: June 26, 2020 11:04PM
....egg....cellent......

Date: June 26, 2020 11:12PM
vision63
I'm gonna try one tomorrow using my REward (ugh, I hate the new reward structure). I can handle the egg.

I used a birthday reward for mine. didn't want to spend real money in case i hated it!

there are benefits to the current rewards system. my fav is a poor woman's mocha/white mocha: misto with a shot of espresso and either syrup. no matter what you add into a misto it's still only 50 stars. another for me is a bagel and cream cheese cause even with the cream cheese it's only 50 stars.

Date: June 26, 2020 11:40PM
....the new rewards system is huge downgrade......

Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: June 26, 2020 11:49PM
If somebody made a good plant-based hot dog, I'd buy it, even if it cost more. I cook hot dogs for my wife and son, so it'd be easier if I could just have my own, too.

I'm not crazy about any plant-based sausage. But I also never really wanted to sit down and eat a plain sausage. Making something with sausage and onions and peppers, or with a tomato sauce or whatever, a plant-based substitute is easy to do. I had a decent plant based bratwurst sort of sausage sandwich with spicy mustard and it was fine because of the mustard.

You grow up eating hot dogs or burgers, it's absurd to just stop eating them because you want to avoid animal protein. I'm not enamored of the plant-based burgers but one reason I stopped eating meat was I realized I didn't really care all that much for it. I stopped eating burgers long before I stopped eating steak. Every now and then I'd go through a stretch where I couldn't stomach ground beef, and one time I ordered a grilled cheese at In N Out and it was fantastic. That was a clue.

I've had a lot of shytti burgers in my life, school lunches and little league snack bars and national park concessionaires. I make a great black bean burger and no it's not nearly as good as the best hamburger, but it's better than most burgers. Even when I was eating meat I often preferred it to making my own hamburger and I make a good hamburger.

Trader Joe's soy chorizo is awesome.

I'm not a strict vegetarian. I'll use chicken stock in a soup. Meat's just way down my list.
Posted by: Kate
Date: June 29, 2020 08:04PM
I can highly recommend Trader Joes Italian Sausageless Sausages.
I LOVE them with peppers and onions, also use them in my lasagna and also marinara.

Kate
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 219
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020