advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
ARM vs Power Processors?
Posted by: andypie48
Date: June 25, 2020 11:56AM
Can somebody clue me in to or send me a link to the differences between the ARM and POWER processor architectures? I can follow stuff but I'm not really a geek.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ARM vs Power Processors?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 25, 2020 12:15PM
andypie48
Can somebody clue me in to or send me a link to the differences between the ARM and POWER processor architectures? I can follow stuff but I'm not really a geek.

Power consumption is the first to come to mind.

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 25, 2020 12:39PM
Both are RISC architectures.

POWER, think big honking servers, supercomputers, etc. [en.wikipedia.org]

ARM. think small scale like phones, cars, robots, etc. [en.wikipedia.org]

However, Fujitsu's Fugaku supercomputer uses Fujitsu A64FX ARM processors.
It is currently the world's fastest supercomputer!
(7,299,072 cores and 4,866,048 GB of memory)
The operating system uses both Linux and the McKernel light-weight kernel
operating simultaneously and side-by-side.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2020 12:54PM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 25, 2020 12:59PM
This is an interesting article.

[en.wikipedia.org].

I will note that the semiconductor design team Apple hired more than a decade ago had space science expertise - or how to make electronic chips SUPER energy efficient to work on space craft crossing the solar system with only limited power from solar panels.

To my knowledge, ARM architecture is the clear current winner in computational output/power input ratio.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 25, 2020 02:59PM
IBM merged in the PowerPC instruction set to the Power instruction set a few versions back. But except for some low to mid power processors based on the Power/PowerPC intellectual property that ended up in Playstations and Xbox systems, IBM has not done much outside the server market with either.

Motorola/Freescale, now part of NXP Semiconductors, was the partner in the old AIM consortium interested in making low power versions of the Power/PowerPC chips. They were still out there being sold for embedded processor applications like network switches, engine control units, and so on a few years ago. Haven't checked to see if they still use the PowerPC cores in their products as NXP also was using ARM based designs as well.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 25, 2020 09:39PM
Arm (and x86) is Little Endian

PPC was big endian.

Or the other way around.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 26, 2020 12:25PM
A little late to the discussion...

Rolando has one of the most important differences.

One other big difference is the most recent PPC processors have massive cache and associative links internally for high FPU performance. ARM (and Intel) uses an ever expanding set of specialized logic processors to handle frequently requested FPU processes (this is why the Intel 7th gen processors are so much better at multiple streams of video than the 6th gen).

Intel is experimenting with Little/Big CPU cores like ARM has, in a bid to lower power consumption. If Intel can succeed with this new tech push and ever get their 7 nm process technology to work, they will be very close to the efficiency of the current generation of ARM processors.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: andypie48
Date: June 27, 2020 11:13AM
Thank you all for your help. I somehow had the impression that ARM was just a stripped-down PPC processor and you have set me right.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 28, 2020 02:08PM
Rolando
Arm (and x86) is Little Endian

PPC was big endian.

Or the other way around.

PowerPC could be run in either mode - big or little endian.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 221
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018