Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
From the Did Not Know This™ dept.: Walmart 'only' product versions
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 25, 2020 06:24PM
I recalled Walmart & other big boxers sold 'big brand' TV's, etc. with their
own UPC numbers but otherwise all identical.
But I discovered they also sell 'brand name' items made just for them.
One example is the popular STANLEY FATMAX 700 Jump Starter with
120 PSI Air Compressor (J7CS). $58 @ Amazon + FS.

Walmart also has it @$58, but they also sell it in a 'camo' finish for $50 (J7CSC).
Same product, same warranty, but a different finish & UPC; $8 less + 2-day FS.

VS

(btw, I didn't see the 'camo' version listed on the Stanley website.)

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: From the Did Not Know This™ dept.: Walmart 'only' product versions
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 25, 2020 06:59PM
I wouldn't be surprised to learn the Walmart version uses cheaper/inferior materials.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2020 06:59PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 25, 2020 07:00PM
MrNo,

The same thing happens at Home Depot and a slew of other stores. Some items are identical from store to store with the only difference between the model number. Some have minor differences in the features. Some have differences in the build quality. Some have a color only available at that store. This is common with Le Crueset cookware/bakeware. Williams-Sonoma may have a color that is only available at Williams-Sonoma.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2020 07:00PM by Robert M.
Date: June 25, 2020 07:09PM
N-OS X-tasy!
I wouldn't be surprised to learn the Walmart version uses cheaper/inferior materials.
Would that make any sense? Same warranty & it's branded 'Stanley'.
I'd be more inclined to believe there was a large purchase agreement made.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

Posted by: p8712
Date: June 25, 2020 07:52PM
A friend told me that their business class taught them that Walmart does this with many brands, including personal care goods.
Posted by: Carm
Date: June 25, 2020 07:56PM
Yes, “Amazon exclusive”, “Walmart Exclusive” etc..
From what I read a while back, different model numbers to prevent “price matching” on sale/BF items.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 25, 2020 08:39PM
Really common. Costco has been negotiating Costco-only versions of many products. Usually with extras that only the Costco version comes with.

And WalMart for well over a decade was having special versions of firearms built just for them. I have one. It is a Ruger 10/22-22. A stainless rifle model with a 22" barrel. Not a carbine version with the barrel band. Looks like a proper rifle. There have always been a "deluxe sporter" version (DSP) with a 20" barrel and Walnut stock, but the WallyWorld Special used a birch stock dyed to look like Walnut, and the longer barrel. And a hundred+cheaper because of the inexpensive stock.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: BobC
Date: June 25, 2020 10:23PM
If you're old enough to remember the dark days of Performas, you might remember this:

"each individual Performa bundle was given a unique model number, in some cases varying only by the software bundle or the specific retailer that sold that model. This was intended to accommodate retailers, who could advertise that they could beat their competitors' price on equivalent models while at the same time ensuring that they did not actually carry the same models as their competitors." WIkipedia page on Performas
Date: June 25, 2020 10:32PM
Racer X
And WalMart for well over a decade was having special versions of firearms built just for them. I have one. It is a Ruger 10/22-22. A stainless rifle model with a 22" barrel. Not a carbine version with the barrel band. Looks like a proper rifle. There have always been a "deluxe sporter" version (DSP) with a 20" barrel and Walnut stock, but the WallyWorld Special used a birch stock dyed to look like Walnut, and the longer barrel. And a hundred+cheaper because of the inexpensive stock.

There you go, Mr.NoBody.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 25, 2020 10:47PM
MrNoBody
N-OS X-tasy!
Would that make any sense? Same warranty & it's branded 'Stanley'.
I'd be more inclined to believe there was a large purchase agreement made.

[grist.org]

In a paper [PDF] that came out last year, three business professors illustrate how inducing manufacturers to cut product quality enhances Walmart’s competitive position. “Because lower quality products are usually cheaper to produce, it is often argued that discount retailers induce lower quality in order to drive down prices. Our model suggests, however, that the competitive and bargaining position effects provide incentives to induce lower quality regardless of changes in production costs,” the authors write.

In other words, getting manufacturers to make shoddier products doesn’t just mean that Walmart can offer super-cheap wares; it also helps Walmart marginalize its competitors and gain more dominance over its suppliers. By using its market power to drive down the quality of manufacturing, Walmart gains an advantage over department stores and independent retailers because quality (and the knowledgeable service that typically goes with it) is no longer an important factor in a consumer’s choice about where to shop. If you are going to end up with a crappy to mediocre blender anyway, then why bother spending more or availing yourself of the advice and service of a specialty retailer? Reducing the overall quality of products thus destroys a key competitive advantage of Walmart’s smaller rivals...

Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 25, 2020 11:02PM
Carm
Yes, “Amazon exclusive”, “Walmart Exclusive” etc..
From what I read a while back, different model numbers to prevent “price matching” on sale/BF items.

Didn't Apple used to do this decades ago with their plethora of Performa Models that were off by a single digit? One for CompUSA, one for Sears, etc...

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: June 26, 2020 05:16AM
Thanks for that link Sarcany! For me, it's always better to have material that
supports an opinion.

After reading the research document* referenced (All 37 pages!),
one might conclude Walmart isn't the only large retailer 'guilty' of this practice.
Also many well known brand name vendors too.

* Dominant Retailers’ Incentives for Product Quality [PDF]
WARNING: Lots of formulae and charts included.

Racer X, long ago I had a Ruger 10/22 (Mdl. #1103), fun plinker & cheap to shoot.
From the factory it was all black steel (not s-s) and a white ash stock (dark stained).
iirc, it was < $150 @ local shop in 1975.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2020 05:33AM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 26, 2020 07:40AM
N-OS X-tasy!

This is true not only for appliances, etc, but also food. Had a client years ago that had different formulation for Walmart orders. Walmart is notorious for squeezing supplier profitability. Note that it's not everything that Walmart sells that is impacted but you need to be alert.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 26, 2020 07:50AM
Try mattress price matching.

Home Depot sells a lesser model John Deere tractor, etc. than a John Deere dealer yet with the same model number.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 26, 2020 07:54AM
Just more proof that WallyWorld is an ideal capitalistic parasite.

I have not purchased from them in years, will try to add time to that record.

Also represents another 'poor tax'. When I grew up, I would have HAD to shop there due to personal finance restrictions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2020 07:56AM by sekker.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: June 26, 2020 08:36AM
BobC
If you're old enough to remember the dark days of Performas, you might remember this:

"each individual Performa bundle was given a unique model number, in some cases varying only by the software bundle or the specific retailer that sold that model. This was intended to accommodate retailers, who could advertise that they could beat their competitors' price on equivalent models while at the same time ensuring that they did not actually carry the same models as their competitors." WIkipedia page on Performas

When I started reading, the Performa setup Apple had with a few stores was exactly what I thought of.

As for this being a Walmart evil; if you look around, multiple stores do / have done this.

BTW, it's spelled y'all
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: June 26, 2020 08:36AM
When I was shopping for a TV years ago, I remember Wal-Mart selling exclusive near-identical models that were missing some of the features of the stock models. BUT, they were cheaper and that's all some people care about.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 26, 2020 09:01AM
Zoidberg
BobC

When I started reading, the Performa setup Apple had with a few stores was exactly what I thought of.

As for this being a Walmart evil; if you look around, multiple stores do / have done this.

Yes, multiple stores have done this, but not to the extent of driving down product quality as Walmart. For most other stores it has been in the direction of slightly different features, but maintaining similar levels of quality. For Walmart it has all been about lowering the price, and quality be damned.
Date: June 26, 2020 09:59AM
N-OS X-tasy!
Racer X

There you go, Mr.NoBody.

They DID NOT represent it as a walnut stock though, it was sold as "hardwood" which it was/is. Not defending then, just explaining.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 26, 2020 10:04AM
Speedy
Try mattress price matching.

Home Depot sells a lesser model John Deere tractor, etc. than a John Deere dealer yet with the same model number.

The John Deere sold at Home Depot and other big box stores is most likely not a true JD, it's a licensed product and probably made by MTD. MTD owns the majority of consumer grade gas powered yard equipment brands.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: June 26, 2020 10:28AM
JDs sold at the big box stores are not made by MTD. They are made in the TN JD plant and are “true” JDs. They are identical to the same models sold at JD dealers.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: June 26, 2020 10:41AM
N-OS X-tasy!

True. The process WM uses to squeeze their suppliers for cheaper products is covered in the book, The Walmart Effect. They are ruthless.

Date: June 26, 2020 10:49AM
MrNoBody
Thanks for that link Sarcany! For me, it's always better to have material that
supports an opinion.

When something is as well-documented as this has been shown to be in this thread, it's not opinion -- it's knowledge. Now you share it.

MrNoBody
After reading the research document* referenced (All 37 pages!),
one might conclude Walmart isn't the only large retailer 'guilty' of this practice.
Also many well known brand name vendors too.

Nobody said they were.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 26, 2020 11:26AM
I read an article a few years ago that said Walmart wanted to sell Snapper mowers, but Snapper would have to cut corners on quality and wouldn't do it. Now I see A few Snapper mowers at Walmart, so I think I know who won out.
Date: June 26, 2020 11:50AM
Ford dealt with their suppliers in the same way. Ford expected a year after year 10% cut on price for 5 years.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 26, 2020 01:01PM
Walmart* was one of the original retailers to push manufacturing offshore and kill manufacturing jobs in the US. They alone were responsible for nearly $30 billion of the US trade deficit by 2002 (9% to 12% depending on the year between 1998 and 2013).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: MarkD
Date: June 26, 2020 02:06PM
Found the different stock numbers & production for chains of stores many years ago when looking for garage door openers.

Then there is the house brands that are parcelled out like Kenmore from Sears.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 26, 2020 03:11PM
Mark,

I don't include Kenmore in this situation because Sears doesn't sell Kenmore items under the same brand name as the manufacturer and the manufacturer doesn't warranty it. Sears sells the product under the Kenmore brand and handles the warranty, regardless of who actually produces the item.

For example... LG might manufacture fridges for Sears to Sears's specifications. Sears doesn't sell the fridge as an LG fridge and LG doesn't warranty it. Sears sells it as a Kenmore fridge and warranties it. That isn't the same as LG making a variation of one of its fridges for Sears, Sears selling it as an LG fridge and LG warranting it.

Robert
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 26, 2020 04:40PM
Dennis S
I read an article a few years ago that said Walmart wanted to sell Snapper mowers, but Snapper would have to cut corners on quality and wouldn't do it. Now I see A few Snapper mowers at Walmart, so I think I know who won out.

Snapper was acquired by Simplicity in 2002, and Simplicity has since been acquired by Briggs& Stratton in 2004. So the ownership of the brand has changed. B & S has since moved Snapper production out of the original plant to one of their own and last year announced they wanted to sell off the Snapper and some other brands hopefully by the end of 2020.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 119
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018