advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Msft closing stores
Posted by: samintx
Date: June 26, 2020 08:31AM
They are closing all retail, going digital, taking a $450M charge. Will Apple follow suit?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Msft closing stores
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 26, 2020 08:42AM
....killing them 'soft......ly with his song......??

.....surprised it took this long.....they were always empty......and they were so obviously copies of Apple Stores......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2020 08:56AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: d4
Date: June 26, 2020 08:53AM
History repeating itself.
Somewhere out there, Gateway Country is having a chuckle.

When Apple opened its first retail stores, it drew comparisons to Gateway Country. It's a failed business model. Brick and mortar computer retail stores will never work. Apple retail stores are doomed. Years later after the success of Apple stores, it seemed like wherever Apple stores were, Microsoft seemed to open a store within a half mile, or in the same mall. But whereas the Apple stores are usually the most crowded store in the area, the only people in Microsoft stores were the uniformed sales people and random teens playing with the XBox connected to the giant monitor wall.

Posted by: tortoise
Date: June 26, 2020 09:00AM
samintx
They are closing all retail, going digital, taking a $450M charge. Will Apple follow suit?

I seriously doubt Apple will close their retail outlets with their highest profit per square foot of space making them the most admired retail operation that other stores can only dream of. Furthermore the amount of good will and loyalty that is nurtured by their retail operations especially the genius bar and the free classes for consumers to learn about their devices has obviously added to their bottom line. I still prefer going to Apple retail when getting ready for a new purchase for a hands on demo as well as some expert guidance from their usually well versed staff, I always walk away knowing more than when I came in. I have never been to a Microsoft store but suspect they do not provide the same level of service and support or they would have become more useful and not be closing them.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: June 26, 2020 09:30AM
I went to a Gateway store with my wife once. She had only ever had Gateways, and was looking for a new Wintel laptop. The staff were no help at all, and knew nothing about their consumer products, only business. My wife bought a Toshiba instead.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: June 26, 2020 10:04AM
Th biggest problem with the Gateway store model was that you couldn't buy anything at the store, it was a ship-to-store operation. You went to the store played around with a computer, and if you liked it you'd order it there. You couldn't make sudden impulse purchases and be able to walk away with your new toy.

::Edit:: Let me modify that, accessories like mousepads or CD holders were available to purchase on site.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2020 10:05AM by Sam3.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 26, 2020 10:04AM
....so like a......Gateway drug.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: June 26, 2020 10:11AM
Sam3
Th biggest problem with the Gateway store model was that you couldn't buy anything at the store, it was a ship-to-store operation. You went to the store played around with a computer, and if you liked it you'd order it there. You couldn't make sudden impulse purchases and be able to walk away with your new toy.

::Edit:: Let me modify that, accessories like mousepads or CD holders were available to purchase on site.

I don't remember computers as being an impulse purchase back then. They were expensive and heavy. I mean, with inflation they must've cost like $3000-4000 in today's money.

Posted by: samintx
Date: June 26, 2020 10:26AM
Only 4 to stay open in a follow up. The Financial program at 8 a.m. said all. Just checked again all but 4. Gateway...ah forgot about them.
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 26, 2020 10:32AM
Another Ballmer bust.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 26, 2020 11:16AM
Other stores like to be located near Apple Stores to take advantage of the high traffic. The Monopoly$oft Stores I saw were usually empty.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 26, 2020 12:10PM
Speedy
Other stores like to be located near Apple Stores to take advantage of the high traffic. The Monopoly$oft Stores I saw were usually empty.

And their employees were playing video games.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 26, 2020 12:45PM
the landfill is getting crowded...

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: rz
Date: June 26, 2020 01:12PM
d4
But whereas the Apple stores are usually the most crowded store in the area, the only people in Microsoft stores were the uniformed sales people and random teens playing with the XBox connected to the giant monitor wall.

Yup. There's a mall nearby with both stores. Apple store is ALWAYS crowded. The game I always played was counting the number of customers in the M$ store and seeing if it was higher than the number of employees. I think I can only remember one time where there were more customers than employees.
Posted by: D. Lawson
Date: June 26, 2020 01:20PM
MrNoBody

Windows Phone deserved better, but users and developers can only tolerate so many broken promises. Version 7 and up remains the most user-friendly phone OS I have ever used, although none of them can seem to figure out a way to organize the Settings screen worth a damn.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 26, 2020 03:42PM
LOL, this title

The Microsoft Store Is Selling Zunes or Whatever in Heaven Now

[gizmodo.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 26, 2020 03:45PM
jdc
LOL, this title

The Microsoft Store Is Selling Zunes or Whatever in Heaven Now

[gizmodo.com]

Even better is how M$ titled their own press release.

devil smiley

Microsoft Store announces new approach to retail

[news.microsoft.com]
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 26, 2020 09:23PM
Well that Xbox wall is pretty cool. We'd stop by the one downtown and play on that for a bunch of minutes. Can't see myself buying anything there, but it was a nice diversion when we were in that mall.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: June 27, 2020 12:25AM
samintx

Huh? Apple owns the most profitable retails stores in the world on a per square foot basis. Why would you even ask that?

(There is absolutely no comparison between Microsoft's "me too!" retail effort and Apple Stores.)
Date: June 27, 2020 06:36AM
Article Accelerator
samintx

Huh? Apple owns the most profitable retails stores in the world on a per square foot basis. Why would you even ask that?

I thought it was obvious. Both stores have computer sales people in colorful t-shirts.

Posted by: JPK
Date: June 27, 2020 11:22AM
I remember a couple of years ago during Christmas I had to go to a mall. The Apple store was PACKED. So crowded I wouldnt even go in.

I little further down the mall was a Microsoft store. It looked the same in style & design. Same kind of layout and tables.

But it was completely EMPTY. Just a Dad and a kid playing an xbox and 7 employees standing around talking to each other.

I wondered how they could stay open.

John P. Kelly
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 232
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018