advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do I Really Need A CO Detector?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 27, 2020 02:24PM
I'm going to be redoing my home security system. Since the 30+ years old system is going to be replaced by either Simplisafe or Ring the topic of smoke detectors has come up and most seem to include CO detectors.

What is the MRF Hivemind thought on the necessity of CO detectors? If it matters my heat and stove are gas.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2020 02:50PM by graylocks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do I Really Need A CO2 Detector?
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 27, 2020 02:33PM
CO or CO2

CO is must.
Date: June 27, 2020 02:49PM
space-time
CO or CO2

CO is must.

learning. guess it's just CO. and why is it a must?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Re: Do I Really Need A CO Detector?
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 27, 2020 03:03PM
If you have any fuel fired appliances in your house, you should have at least one CO detector. In some states, it's a code requirement.

It's a must as an improperly operating fuel fired appliance may create CO within your house. CO is lethal.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: June 27, 2020 03:09PM
Mandatory in California since 2013 for houses with the aforementioned appliances (natural gas). Last time I refinanced, the appraisal HAD to include a picture of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2020 03:10PM by MikeF.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 27, 2020 03:11PM
If you use gas, I would definitely use a CO detector. At least one in the kitchen and used bedroom(s) and rooms with a heater.
Date: June 27, 2020 03:35PM
Dennis S
If you use gas, I would definitely use a CO detector. At least one in the kitchen and used bedroom(s) and rooms with a heater.

okay, that answer my next question - where should it be placed? my gas heat comes out of a vent. the furnace is in the crawl space. is that what you mean by a room with a heater? i grew up in new york where a room with a heater usually meant a radiator or baseboard electric.

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 27, 2020 04:44PM
graylocks
Dennis S

okay, that answer my next question - where should it be placed? my gas heat comes out of a vent. the furnace is in the crawl space. is that what you mean by a room with a heater? i grew up in new york where a room with a heater usually meant a radiator or baseboard electric.

I really don't know. I would call the gas company and ask them. See if they have any rebates or other promotions.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 27, 2020 05:26PM
There is a myth that CO is heavier than air and alarms/detectors should be placed lower. Just place it where it is convenient. for around $20-30 you can get some with digital display that will show you the actual concentration and the peak level.

If you have anything burning in your home, don't be a fool and get CO detectors.

Place one in bedroom and one in a hallway. I have 3 or 4 in the old house, I see 3-4 in the new house and I think I will double that number.

I know people who died from CO poisoning. This is more danger than smoke since you don't feel it.

In fact I don't know why they don't use CO when they want to execute someone. That seems simpler than cocktail of lethal injections.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: June 27, 2020 06:16PM
Well, if you need one and you don’t have one you’ll never live to regret it.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 27, 2020 07:19PM
they are pretty inexpensive, get a few. I have one per floor. I might ad 2 more for a total of 4.

and 6 smoke detectors.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: davester
Date: June 27, 2020 08:02PM
graylocks
Dennis S

No, you should not put CO or smoke detectors in the kitchen. In fact, fire departments and detector manufacturers specifically recommend against this because it results in false alarms which then causes people to disconnect them. I wouldn't worry too much about the gas stove. It's the water heater and furnace that are the most likely CO emitters. There will be directions on placement in the package...or you can just google it. If you get a combo smoke detector/CO alarm, then it should go in the hallway closest to the bedrooms.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2020 08:05PM by davester.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: June 27, 2020 08:54PM
In this state, both their presence and placement are dictated by law. I'm surprised not all states are like this.

All bedrooms, all hallways and at least one per floor if you don't have those on a floor. Don't put one in the kitchen.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 27, 2020 09:00PM
If you have anything burning in your home, don't be a fool and get CO detectors.

Your day job isn't that of a diplomat, is it.

And while I'm no grammarian, your sentence might make more sense as:

If you have anything burning in your home, don't be a fool- get CO detectors.

And as it's gl who demonstrates her smarts by asking for reasoned counsel in the first place, and not some idiot, perhaps a more appropriate response might be:

If you have anything burning in your home, get CO detectors.

Just sayin'.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: June 28, 2020 05:07AM
Never had CO detectors, but a few years ago when I replaced all our aging hard-wired smoke detectors, I got the combination smoke-CO detectors. Glad I did.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 28, 2020 09:29AM
....will this become CO-dependent......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 28, 2020 10:37AM
Might want to consider getting detectors that link together wirelessly. If one goes off, they all go off. Some of them can be programmed to tell you which detector operated.

As mentioned, never put a smoke detector in the kitchen. If you can find a heat detector, that's a great option.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 178
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018