Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple Silicon = No Windows For You!
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 27, 2020 06:04PM
[www.cultofmac.com]

Apple has confirmed that Boot Camp, the tool that allows Mac users to boot into Windows, will not be available on upcoming machines powered by custom ARM chips. Users will need to rely on virtualization software instead.

Many Mac fans feared that a switch to Apple Silicon would mean the end of Boot Camp, a feature first introduced in 2006 — soon after Apple made the switch to Intel processors from PowerPC — with Mac OS 10.5 Leopard.

“We’re not direct booting an alternate operating system,” said Craig Federighi , Apple’s senior vice president of software engineering, during an interview with John Gruber this week. “Purely virtualization is the route.”

It’s not that Macs powered by Apple Silicon won’t be compatible with Windows. There is a version of Microsoft’s operating system that is designed for ARM-powered PCs, like the company’s own Surface Pro X.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple Silicon = No Windows For You!
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 27, 2020 07:39PM
Virtualization has come a LONG way since 2005. I'm happy to wait and see what solutions the market comes up with.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 27, 2020 08:18PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Virtualization has come a LONG way since 2005. I'm happy to wait and see what solutions the market comes up with.

C'mon, SoftPC was available last century....
==
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 28, 2020 09:05AM
N-OS X-tasy!

It really hasn't come that far. Most of the speedup people have been seeing is that the virtualization they have been using since 2005 is hosting another OS on the same hardware, with the same instruction set available.

With ARM unless you have a native ARM OS and software what will be needed is emulation as part of the virtualization. All of the x86 instructions will be translated into ARM instructions, that is inherently slower. Some technologies have been developed to cache frequently used translated instruction streams so they are not repeatedly converted, but there are limits to that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2020 09:10AM by JoeH.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 28, 2020 09:45AM
.....so the window........is now closed......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 28, 2020 04:44PM
Buzz
N-OS X-tasy!

C'mon, SoftPC was available last century....
==
I still miss the startup sound for SoftPC... Grinding gears and some confused beeping...
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 29, 2020 10:20AM
Meh. As I’m told, Intel chips are basically RISC cores with lots of interpretive stuff bolted on top to handle the ancient x86 instruction set cruft.

Seems to me that if someone wanted to, they could emulate Windows/x86 on an Apple A14x chip good enough for any office tasks.

You want games, get an XBox or a Playstation.
Posted by: rz
Date: June 29, 2020 07:05PM
As soon as I retire, I hope to never ever use Windows again. I have to use it for work, and I have a work laptop for that. Can't wait to dump it completely.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 336
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018