advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Youtube video lets you hear various mics
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 28, 2020 12:51AM
As it has been stated in previous web video posts, many of the suggestions are overkill for many situations. The information is for people looking to take their video conference quality up a few notches.

Previous thread about mics, particularly condenser mics [forums.macresource.com]

This Youtube video shows a handful of mic types and allows you to hear how on might sound on a video conference. Not the widest variety but it gives you some idea of how you may sound in a video conference. Slight warning, he is alarmed by an object in the room at the end and has some bleeped out swears for comedic effect.
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2020 01:38AM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Youtube video lets you hear various mics
Posted by: August West
Date: June 28, 2020 12:45PM
Good video, pRon. I put on some AT M50X to give a quick listen. It's a good primer for anyone who wants to think about comparing mics. Use the phones and listen to the transitions.

AT 875 - Ok sound, loses highs from off axis rejection
ATR 2100 - More balanced sound with more highs, starts to add sibilance
Rode - Too Thin, too much room, probably also suffers from its placement
Air Pods - Better than I would have thought, mid-rangey, could be worse flawssss
Jabra - This one surprised me, I liked it. They brought the room and the voice together in a seemingly natural way. Probably easier than a traditional mic set up, too.
MacBook Pro - meh, too much room, too thin, too sibilant (relative to the rest, you could still make do!)
MSoft - Meh, not really that good
Logitech - bad audio

Thanks for posting this stuff, I'm still on the fence fo a Home Depot 3200 lumen LED because of you. smiley-shocked003

ETA: Thinking about the Jabra, remembered that boundary mics are great when conference room type set up is used. Sits flat on the table and rejects the room sound. There used to be a cheap a$$ Radio Shack version made by Crown(?), like 25 - 30 bucks.

Heh, I think I might have to order this AT Boundary just for the hell of it, when it's available. I haven't wanted to set up one of my several mics on a stand (was thinking of my SM7B for teleconference).

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2020 12:57PM by August West.
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 28, 2020 02:22PM
I wish he'd shown us the spider. I use a Rode Micro.
Posted by: wurm
Date: June 28, 2020 04:39PM
Just remember, a $60 mic in a quiet environment will always sound better than a $1k mic in a crappy environment.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 28, 2020 05:51PM
wurm
Just remember, a $60 mic in a quiet environment will always sound better than a $1k mic in a crappy environment.

Yep. And you gotta get it close in most cases to delete room echo, to increase clarity. For me, the biggest sound quality disturbance I hear every week is people not speaking who don't mute themselves. They make any sort of noise whatsoever and the speaking person's audio starts to cutout until it realizes the interruption isn't "real."

I thought the MacBook example mic sounded pretty darn good, but like he said you could really only use it with headphones/earbuds so as to avoid feedback. I'd say that's a viable option for many since most of us have earbuds, and incoming sound quality isn't as important as outgoing sound quality for "all." I bet if the laptop were on a towel or something else sound-absorbent some of that echo would be gone.

Did anyone -- or everyone -- notice how, once the audio routed through the conference software, that pretty much everything took a serious hit in quality?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 203
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018