advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Weird network problem for iOS devices
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: June 28, 2020 08:03AM
Starting last night, my iOS devices can't connect to the Internet via wifi. Nor can I airdrop between devices. All are connecting to the router and showing a good signal.

This MBP is connected only via wifi and is obviously connecting. I have rebooted both the router and the modem.

The iOS devices are on different iOS versions: my old iPhone 6 on 12, an old iPad on 9, and a couple devices are on the latest 13. Not a single one can connect to the internet or to each other, and all show a good signal from the router.

Any ideas?

Update: I am at a client’s place on her network. My iPhone and iPad are working perfectly here. Does this narrow the problem down to my router? I can’t remember how long I’ve had it, but it’s been at least 5 years, I think.

Another update: futzed about in the router settings. I didn't really change anything that I can recall, although it was indicating no WAN connection. Now it's all back on, and devices are connecting. No idea how the WAN thing would affect the ability of two devices on the LAN to connect via Airdrop, or why the MacBook Pro was connecting over Wifi.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2020 10:37AM by ka jowct.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Weird network problem for iOS devices
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 28, 2020 10:16AM
ka jowct
Any ideas?

Are you sure that the devices are connecting to the right WiFi network?

Seen this happen a few times when someone is using the iCloud keychain: One device connects to the wrong WiFi hotspot -- an Xfinity hotspot for example -- and then all of that person's iOS devices hop on the same hotspot instead of the one they're supposed to.

(One of many reasons never to use the iCloud keychain.)

Re: Weird network problem for iOS devices
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: June 28, 2020 10:40AM
I don't use iCloud keychain, and the devices were connecting to one or the other wifi bands of my router on my network, which is very easy to distinguish from the others that show up in the list of nearby networks.

Why is it working now? No clue.

It's this one. [www.asus.com]

May have had it since 2013 or 2014.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2020 10:46AM by ka jowct.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 247
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018