Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
A little evidence of how bad the Gypsy moth infestation is this year
Posted by: DP
Date: June 28, 2020 09:59AM
In the northern lower peninsula. Here's one of the little buggers:

When I was driving up last week it looked like a lot of the trees were looking like it was April; like the leaves are just starting to bud. I didn't immediately place it until I remembered Rick-o's comments when I had posted earlier about what I thought were Tent caterpillars. But then some friends who live a few miles north of our cottage told us they can't eat outside on their picnic table because of all the Gypsy Moth caterpillars. They said that the trees were being eaten bare!

So here are some pix pulled from windshield video cam while I was driving back home. They're not the greatest quality but I think they show some of what I'm talking about. You will immediately see how bare the branches are on some of the trees. Not all trees are affected. It's aspen, birch, and some oaks that bear the brunt, so there is still good foliage on the unaffected trees. But all the trees should have dense foliage by now:

Most trees will survive and these outbreaks are cyclical, but the trees are very stressed. The state wages an ongoing battle against the Gypsy Moth (which is an invasive species) but it's a losing battle this year...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A little evidence of how bad the Gypsy moth infestation is this year
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 28, 2020 10:03AM
....could it be......gypsy curse.......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 28, 2020 10:30AM
DP
The state wages an ongoing battle against the Gypsy Moth (which is an invasive species) but it's a losing battle this year...

Mosquitoes are having a banner year, too.

A lot of ecological preservation and pest-control efforts have been dropped or scaled down dramatically this year. Spraying and putting up barrier tape are both reduced.

I was just reading about the likely consequences of this as far as the moths go: They expect 2-3 years of booming population. Big hardwoods can take a few years of losing most of their leaves, but evergreens will likely die after just one year of it.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 28, 2020 11:25AM
Yeah, I've seen the damage from surrounding areas. It's not pretty.

We get a good spraying of stuff by plane in our County that takes out the gypsy moth caterpillars. It seems to work.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: June 28, 2020 03:58PM
Rick-o
Yeah, I've seen the damage from surrounding areas. It's not pretty.

We get a good spraying of stuff by plane in our County that takes out the gypsy moth caterpillars. It seems to work.

Yep, it was done here too with excellent results. The city used a purely biological control (Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies kurstaki) sprayed by helicopter in late spring.

[www.toronto.ca]
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 28, 2020 05:42PM
Not good. And that's after the Emerald Ash Borer wiped out nearly all the ash trees a few years ago.

Posted by: cyclemax
Date: June 28, 2020 10:03PM
Back in the early 80's we were backpacking in the Wyoming State Forest in Northern Pennsylvania (Now Loyalsock State Forest) along the Loyalsock Trail. One of the mountains we were hiking over was so infested with Gypsy moth caterpillars, you could hear the collective munching of the leaves. If you dared stop to sit and rest, you and your backpack would soon be covered with them. You could not walk along the trail without stepping on them. They completely stripped most of the trees on the mountain.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 29, 2020 02:21PM
....gypsies.......tramps......and thieves........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 218
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018