advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
A shout out for a product
Posted by: DP
Date: June 28, 2020 10:33AM
Especially if you have a convertible with plastic windows as I know so many of you have... grinning smiley

Yesterday I was doing some cleaning on Sabrina and one thing I needed to do was clean and de-haze the top's plastic windows. While I intend to drive with the top down as often as possible, it just needed to be done. I bought some products and one is Meguiar's PlastX, sold mostly to use on plastic headlights but it does say it removes haze from convertible top windows.

Well, I'll say it does! Before:

And after:

I do not know how old the top is on my car but I do know it is at least 15-20 yo.

So, even tho I'm not a paid spokesperson, nor do I play a doctor on TV, I recommend this product!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A shout out for a product
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: June 28, 2020 10:43AM
Wow, that is very nice. If I still had a Miata...

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: lost in space
Date: June 28, 2020 10:44AM
I loved their products years ago when I was a car guy. I still use some of them in the final steps to bring up the gloss on my guitars.

Posted by: Dennis R
Date: June 28, 2020 10:54AM
That really is amazing. What did it take labor wise to get them like that?
Date: June 28, 2020 10:56AM
Dennis R
That really is amazing. What did it take labor wise to get them like that?

I'd say I spent an hour on the three windows. I needed to go over the same areas two or three times and then put the magnifying glass on them to find the spots I missed.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 28, 2020 11:21AM
Wow! Talk about a night and day difference.

This looks like something from an infomercial. They make it look like a wonder solution that rarely is.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: wave rider
Date: June 28, 2020 11:21AM
Have you tried it on headlights? Impressive results on your ragtop!

=wr=
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 28, 2020 11:24AM
Wow! Be sure to take her out for a nice drive to celebrate!
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 28, 2020 12:07PM
Let us know how long that lasts please.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: June 28, 2020 12:36PM
I’m impressed! I might try it on the MacEffects kickstarter clear SE/30 cases I bought. Their first batch that shipped to the US were hazy (problem subsequently solved, for those interested in that project).
Posted by: lost in space
Date: June 28, 2020 12:50PM
This treatment could last for a while, since in my experience, the great thing about their products is the mild abrasive that actually removes the thin top-most layer. In the case of plastic headlights and convertible top windows, it's the oxidized plastic that gives it a foggy look. In their finest, finish-up products, there is some replenishing element, like a wax coating, which slows down further oxidation.

Products like this, with abrasive elements, take some elbow grease to get results. Others that say "wipe on, wipe off" are likely to just contain a wetting or waxing agent to get clarity. These quick and easy ones don't last long.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 28, 2020 01:42PM
Meguiar's makes some good products - but make sure you read and follow the safety guidelines! They use serious stuff...

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: June 28, 2020 02:03PM
Have you tried it on headlights

Sabrina has glass headlights. Remember those?

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 28, 2020 02:29PM
lost in space
I loved their products years ago when I was a car guy. I still use some of them in the final steps to bring up the gloss on my guitars.

Ever tried NOVUS No. 1 'Plastic Clean & Shine'? [www.novuspolish.com]

A tech at Rickenbacker told be about it twenty years ago. It's amazing stuff, not just
for plastics. (just don't use on oil finishes.) Doesn't contain petro-distillates.

8oz for $5.31 @ bezosville

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 28, 2020 02:33PM
FWIW some sort of protection is necessary afterwards. Or the haze will return very quickly.

There’s a person selling a white TR-6 in a town near me... I passed by it and said “daaaammmnnnnn.” Beautifully restored.
Date: June 28, 2020 03:12PM
cbelt3
FWIW some sort of protection is necessary afterwards. Or the haze will return very quickly.

There’s a person selling a white TR-6 in a town near me... I passed by it and said “daaaammmnnnnn.” Beautifully restored.

What are you waiting for?

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: June 28, 2020 03:52PM
Markintosh

The MX-5 has a glass rear window now.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 28, 2020 03:56PM
.....so you......shouted it out......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 28, 2020 04:38PM
DP
cbelt3
...There’s a person selling a white TR-6 in a town near me... I passed by it and said “daaaammmnnnnn.” Beautifully restored.

Winning lottery ticket....
Posted by: jonny
Date: June 28, 2020 04:43PM
I’ve used Novus #2 on many a plastic watch crystal. Works like a charm. (Probably heard about it here!)
Date: June 28, 2020 05:01PM
grinning smiley Do you know the price?

cbelt3
DP
cbelt3
...There’s a person selling a white TR-6 in a town near me... I passed by it and said “daaaammmnnnnn.” Beautifully restored.

Winning lottery ticket....

Posted by: Z
Date: June 28, 2020 05:21PM
Nice 6!

Wonder if it will help with the frost scraper mars Mrs Z put on the rear window of her 325ic...
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: June 28, 2020 05:23PM
Article Accelerator
Markintosh

The MX-5 has a glass rear window now.

The only real Miata is the NA version (through 1997)...

old fogey smiley

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 28, 2020 06:47PM
they make a UV spray as well. I renewed my son's car headlights last year. Will do again. I sprayed my headlights as a preventative.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: June 28, 2020 08:44PM
That is an *amazing* difference!!!

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Fritz
Date: June 29, 2020 07:58AM
Maguires makes some good 5h1t.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 29, 2020 09:40AM
DP
Have you tried it on headlights

Sabrina has glass headlights. Remember those?

I remember glass headlights, and miss them dearly. Though my 3 Buicks still have/use the 4 round 5.75" ones. Put in Halogen replacements, but have 2 sets of T3 hidden away.

Just a tip for those that replace their own bulbs. Many common filament bulbs for cars/trucks come in a Long Life version. Basically heavier filament and sturdier supports. They really do last longer and aren't much more in cost.

I'll let my partner's brother know about the PlastX. He has the family Jeep with soft top and those vinyl windows.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 29, 2020 11:29PM
Originally, halogen headlights were illegal in the states because they weren't seal beams and they had a different lighting pattern not consistent with the DOT.

I had some Cibié H4s that were a giveaway because they were virtually flat.

They were sold as 'for off-road only' but eventually that came to a stop.

Cibié countered with a sealed inclosure that had a recess molded at the back to allow for positioning an H4 bulb against it.

Their 'different way to skin a cat' lasted until the US allowed for H4 lighting.

As long as I could get a glass H4 assembly, I'd never go back to seal beam.

Incandescent car lighting pales by comparison to halogen, as does halogen to LED.

I should have to add, but I will, this assumes all examples of each tech are in assemblies designed to work with their category of lighting. Namely, just putting an LED bulb in a halogen lens reflector assembly doesn't guarantee an improved or even proper beam pattern on or down the road.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018