advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Surelock Homes and Doctor Wattson Mystery - Solved!
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 28, 2020 11:52AM
The cable, from the mobile bag, in the home office, pointed the finger to the guilty party.

After a week of my new MBPR16 running low on power during the day (all it took to take it down was Zoom plus Outlook plus Chrome), I spent time sorting out all of the problem. Twice I hit under 20% power after starting at 100%, had to quit Outlook when running Zoom at the same time. Ridiculous.

On display was this defective laptop home office setup including USC adapters tied to two external monitors, the Mac, TWO brand new Anker 100W USB C Chargers, Apple MBPR USBC cable and a plethora of third party USBC cables. Dr Wattson, who is blocking the care and feeding of my Mac?!

In the end, I removed EVERYTHING, just went with Anker 100W chargers (tried both) and Apple USB-C laptop cable. Went into About this Mac, System Report, Power, scroll down - there is a report on the input power (I bet apps like coconut battery would have been easier, but I had no idea this would take me so long). STILL showing only 60W into the Mac. BOTH new Anker power supplies did this (my Apple one was at the office, this is a Sat night sleuth, so have to work with what you have).

So we are down to three suspects - the brand new laptop (unlikely), the Apple cable (more likely than Mac but still rare), or an Anker charger issue.

Looked at the Anker tech spec page, went to Amazon listing, nothing specified on what needed to make use of their charger. Went into answered questions, and one said that this charger will switch down to 60W max if anything else is plugged in as well (I did not have anything else plugged in, so not the issue - but interesting that the charger would auto step down). Another listing says it does work with the new Apple laptops, pointing back to other other suspects, but which one? An afterthought note said, 'you do need to be sure the cables are certified to work with 100W. Not a common issue, I tried three of mine and each worked.'

Ok, time to interrogate ALL of my cables! I have all black, all white, short (one footer), longer, steel-ended, mono-color - more than 10 tested. ALL yielded only 60 Watts to this Mac. Watt's the deal, Dr Wattson? And why did the Apple cable only give me 60 Watts of juice?!

Ok, down to two suspects - the brand new laptop, or this Apple cable. Come to think of it, was this the cable that CAME with the 16" laptop, or was it from an older (13") laptop? So I pull out my mobile bag (no, I did not list it above, need to look around the room to be a true Surelock Homes!), and I find a different Apple cable (which looked pristine). I plugged it in, and 85W of glory are now coming into the Mac! Turned out, I did what I normally do and put newer hardware in my mobile bag since I want less chance at failure on the road, swapping out the older 13" Mac charging cable for the new 16" charging cable, not knowing they are different.

Then I went to Amazon and discovered '100W USB-C cables' are a thing - there are a bevy of options, including one that looked to be a glorious cobalt blue. Backup charging cable was ordered within minutes.

Mystery solved!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Surelock Homes and Doctor Wattson Mystery - Solved!
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: June 28, 2020 12:04PM
That hurt my head. Congrats on sleuthing that out Prof. Homely, and now I need booze on a Sun. morning...
Posted by: August West
Date: June 28, 2020 12:10PM
Lew Zealand
That hurt my head. Congrats on sleuthing that out Prof. Homely, and now I need booze on a Sun. morning...

smiley-laughing001

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: June 28, 2020 12:30PM
Good sleuthing!
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 28, 2020 12:43PM
Another case that shows USB-C will solve everything.... except when it doesn't. Were any of the charging cables actually marked anywhere as to what charging rate they support?
Date: June 28, 2020 12:50PM
JoeH
Another case that shows USB-C will solve everything.... except when it doesn't. Were any of the charging cables actually marked anywhere as to what charging rate they support?

Not a single one. There is not even any distinguishing marks on the Apple vs Apple cables. The 100W cable feels a little heavier, however.
Date: June 28, 2020 12:55PM
Lew Zealand

Careful, if you feel you need an excuse for H or B, then you might lose your MRF account permission!
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 28, 2020 01:49PM
Were you purposely avoiding any risk of copyright infringement, sekker? Because, bravo!!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: June 28, 2020 02:06PM
rjmacs
Were you purposely avoiding any risk of copyright infringement, sekker? Because, bravo!!

After a certain thread about being careful around MRF content, seemed only prudent around a particular private detective. [www.theverge.com]
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 28, 2020 02:12PM
Elementery, my Doc Wattson! wink smiley

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 28, 2020 05:05PM
Shades of SCSI Voodoo. Gadzooks!

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 28, 2020 06:05PM
.....not Sherlick Holmes....and Doctor Buttson......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 28, 2020 07:02PM
Now if you can sleuth out a workable MagSafe connector solution.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 237
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018