advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I want to the equivalent of Toyota/Honda of bicycles. Any leads?
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 28, 2020 06:42PM
I have an old Raleigh C200 bike that was OK but it's been neglected and exposed to elements and it is damaged beyond repair.

I am looking for a new bike of similar level, I would like to ride on some bike trails, not interested in racing, nor in mountain biking. Just get some exercise around this area which is quite flat (NJ) and has many bike trails.

Budget would be $400-600. Costco seems sold out, Raleigh also sold out. I see REI has some in stock... any other options? I do not want a $99-199 quality bike.

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I want to the equivalent of Toyota/Honda of bicycles. Any leads?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 28, 2020 06:49PM
Your local bike shop. Or Target.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 28, 2020 06:53PM
I bought stuff from Nashbar when I rode a bike. They have frames that can be built upon to make a good bike. I think they could steer you right.
Posted by: Drew
Date: June 28, 2020 07:13PM
Local bike shop, if possible. I've found that subtle adjustments make a huge difference in how a bicycle fits me and a local shop has helped immensely with that.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 28, 2020 07:28PM
You have to go test ride them. Forget about brand names. Pay attention to what the dealer says and why. Ask questions. With a low budget like that it's about what's available and how it feels under you.
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 28, 2020 07:39PM
If you have a nearby REI go check out their stuff. I have a Novara Buzz that I bought back in the early 2000's and it's still good. I'd get the Big Buzz instead of the regular Buzz because I'd rather sit up a bit straighter that I do on it. I have a Specialized Crossroads from back in '96. It's held up so far. I've replaced the wheels and other such and such. No suspension. I recommend suspension.
Posted by: raz
Date: June 28, 2020 08:05PM
As others have said... your local bike shop or REI. The difference in sales price versus a big box store will be more than made up by correct fit and assembly. And you will need a working relationship with a knowledgeable service department

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 28, 2020 08:14PM
OK not in a rush, I can wait a few months or so until REI reopens (last time I checked they were still closed).
Posted by: SurfMacJpMtb
Date: June 28, 2020 09:25PM
My response would be Trek or Specialized. Bikes are generally made of similar components at the various price points. Shifting is either Shimano or SRAM. As others have suggested, hit a local bike shop, see what they have and what they suggest. Most local shops are great at providing long term support to their customers.

Long time Mac user
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 28, 2020 09:46PM
REI or local used bike shop.

Oh, it should be noted that bikes are in high demand for the obvious reasons.

Also, internal gear hub and carbon belt drive are features that would increase reliability but would likely push past your price range

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2020 12:45PM by mattkime.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 29, 2020 12:30AM
My response would be Trek or Specialized.

I think this is a good starting point, what s-t was actually asking for.

Sure, a local bike shop can be a great resource, but not all are about the customer, and a potential buyer should have some frame of reference before experiencing a financial Bambi vs Godzilla moment.

As I'm a huge Apple fan, I like a graceful blend of substance and style, with a bit of bias to style.

This may be doing Trek, Specialized, and Cannodale is disservice, but I like their styles.

I have no idea where any of them fit in the Toyota/Honda price category.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2020 06:45AM by RAMd®d.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: June 29, 2020 06:45AM
Cannondale is no longer independent, it was gobbled up by the same Canadian group that sells Pacific = Schwinn, Mongoose, GT, Roadmaster.

Don't know if the quality is the same as it used to be, it may now be just big box store quality, unfortunately.

I loved Trek's, but ended up with Specialized, except for my road bike, a Bridgestone RB-2. I modded (OK, had the bike shop mod) a Specialized Hardrock (entry-level MTB) into a day rider. I now sit more upright and can enjoy leisurely rides with tires that have a lower rolling resistance on paved, while still able to do a little hard-pack off-roading. It was cheaper to do that than to buy a new bike.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2020 06:51AM by Sam3.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 29, 2020 02:08PM
....they said there is a bike shortage......you may not be able to buy any new bikes......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Sam3
Date: June 30, 2020 05:10AM
Most of our local bike shops have only the $1500 and up bikes available.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Date: June 30, 2020 06:12AM
Sam3
Most of our local bike shops have only the $1500 and up bikes available.
The keyword is “most”. The better ones have some entry level bikes. My wife started out on a $400 trek before moving up to a carbon road bike. Same personal service on both.

--------------

Posted by: Markintosh
Date: June 30, 2020 09:08AM
FIFY

raz
The keyword is “most”. The better ones have some entry level bikes since they charge twice as much as everyone else for an entry level bike.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: June 30, 2020 10:29AM
Markintosh
FIFY

raz
The keyword is “most”. The better ones have some entry level bikes since they charge twice as much as everyone else for an entry level bike.

That has not been my experience with my favorite LBS. Certainly that was the case with some others.

--------------

Posted by: digby
Date: June 30, 2020 07:18PM
RAMd®d
My response would be Trek or Specialized....

As soon as I read the title, I said "Get a Trek!" out loud.

Here's why I know: because, as newlyweds, we bought a Toyota, and that thing NEVER DIED. We were SO sick of it, we wanted a new car, but NOOOOO, that old Corolla Hatchback just kept running. To spite us. Finally had to give it away to friends who desperately needed 4 doors and cargo space. They'd had a baby and a carseat, and our kids were grown by that point (told you it hung in there).

Fast forward to me commuting to work and needing something more reliable than that old bike I found on the curb...
And thinking of that old Toyota, I walked into our funky local bike shop* and they said "Trek." Owner suggested a cheaper one, but since I kept getting nails in my tires from urban commuting through construction zones, I upgraded to one with kevlar-lined tires (an older model, the 7.3).

Fast forward again to an island off Seattle, walked into a bike rental place and saw 100 Trek 7.3's hanging from the ceiling. Surreal.
I said "Hey, I've got one of these!" Manager said "I know they're old bikes by now, but we used to replace our rentals every three years. With these, we just do an annual tune-up, and they keep going."

So I'm sure any Trek or Specialized would do the job. Your Japanese Sedan Analogy is perfect. I have a friend with a Jaguar, but it's always in the shop. Another friend has an expensive French road bike, same story.

*(trusted, as in 'Won't sell me an expensive, touchy bike when I need a cheap dependable one)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2020 08:05PM by digby.
Posted by: digby
Date: June 30, 2020 08:06PM
digby
RAMd®d
My response would be Trek or Specialized....

As soon as I read the title, I said "Get a Trek!" out loud.

Here's why I know: because, as newlyweds, we bought a Toyota, and that thing NEVER DIED. We were SO sick of it, we wanted a new car, but NOOOOO, that old Corolla Hatchback just kept running. To spite us. Finally had to give it away to friends who desperately needed 4 doors and cargo space. They'd had a baby and had to deal with a carseat, and our kids were grown by that point (told you it hung in there).

Fast forward to me commuting to work and needing something more reliable than that old bike I found on the curb...
And thinking of that old Toyota, I walked into our funky local bike shop* and they said "Trek." Owner suggested a cheaper one, but since I kept getting nails in my tires from urban commuting through construction zones, I upgraded to one with kevlar-lined tires (an older model, the 7.3).

Fast forward again to an island off Seattle, walked into a bike rental place and saw 100 Trek 7.3's hanging from the ceiling. Surreal.
I said "Hey, I've got one of these!" Manager said "I know they're old bikes by now, but we used to replace our rentals every three years. With these, we just do an annual tune-up, and they keep going."

So I'm sure any Trek or Specialized would do the job. Your Japanese Sedan Analogy is perfect. I have a friend with a Jaguar, but it's always in the shop. Another friend has an expensive French road bike, same story.

*(trusted, as in 'Won't sell me an expensive, touchy bike when I need a cheap dependable one)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 200
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018