advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need a small under-sink water heater for kitchen
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 28, 2020 06:56PM
The water heater is at the other end of the house from the kitchen and I thought I'd get the plumber to install one when he comes to do some other work. It needs to be electric and roughly the size of two shoe boxes and around $150. Is this a simple install or does it get complicated?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2020 06:57PM by Dennis S.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need a small under-sink water heater for kitchen
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 28, 2020 08:12PM
I have seen electric heaters with 1-2 G capacity. Unfortunately they run more than your budget

[www.supplyhouse.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2020 08:13PM by space-time.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 28, 2020 08:48PM
We put an instant hot water dispenser in. Very easy hookup, you can adjust the water to come out as hot or cold as you want (ours is at 190 for coffee, tea, soup, etc). We set it high and just add some tap water if we need it cooler.

[smile.amazon.com]

here is a Bosch 2.5G tank in that price range -- [smile.amazon.com]

there are tankless options in that price range as well in both 240v and 120v. Just search Amazon for tankless electric water heater

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2020 08:55PM by Ombligo.
Posted by: Cary
Date: June 28, 2020 10:26PM
The biggest issue/expense is going to be getting wiring there to support the heater.
Date: June 28, 2020 10:53PM
Cary
The biggest issue/expense is going to be getting wiring there to support the heater.

The wiring to the garbage disposal and dishwasher are under there.
Date: June 28, 2020 11:18PM
When the regular hot water eventually gets to the kitchen, what happens to the water from the small tank?

Also, is there much electricity used to keep the tank hot? And, I may consider a tankless heater.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 29, 2020 06:25AM
To toss one more option in the mix -- hot water recirculating pump. [smile.amazon.com]

It keeps the water in your pipes moving so there is no waiting for hot water, it is always there at every faucet. Very simple install with the pump going next to your hot water tank and a crossover connection going under the sink furthest from your tank. Pricewise it is the same as a small water tank.

Here is a 4-minute video explaining it better. Since you are looking at a retrofit, the system that will likely work best for you is explained at the 2:30 mark and is the Amazon link I added.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 29, 2020 08:17AM
....sink....or swim.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 29, 2020 10:29AM
like this ?
[www.homedepot.com]
120VAC, easy to plumb in, Bosch...
And no, I don't use one.
Posted by: Cary
Date: June 29, 2020 01:01PM
Dennis S
Cary

The wiring to the garbage disposal and dishwasher are under there.

Depending on the heater, you may need a dedicated circuit. AFAIK, both disposal and dishwasher require dedicated circuits, also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2020 01:05PM by Cary.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 29, 2020 08:30PM
Ombligo
To toss one more option in the mix -- hot water recirculating pump. [smile.amazon.com]

It keeps the water in your pipes moving so there is no waiting for hot water, it is always there at every faucet. Very simple install with the pump going next to your hot water tank and a crossover connection going under the sink furthest from your tank. Pricewise it is the same as a small water tank.

Here is a 4-minute video explaining it better. Since you are looking at a retrofit, the system that will likely work best for you is explained at the 2:30 mark and is the Amazon link I added.

I saw those but I think they pump "hot" water into the cold water part of your house, and if there is some smelly stuff coming out of the hot water, then that may contaminate your cold water.

I saw similar systems that used a separate thin line to return the "cold/warm" water back into the tank, thus keeping the cold water line out of the loop. I think I even saw one where the thin line was INSIDE the hot pipe. It was probably a show on "this old house" or similar.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 197
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018