Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Johnny Manziel believes he will not play NFL football again
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 28, 2020 11:10PM

[sports.yahoo.com]

After a career that has garnered widespread attention and spanned three different pro football leagues, Johnny Manziel sounds like he’s accepted his playing days are over.

The former Heisman Trophy winner and first-round NFL draft pick told the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal’s Don Williams that he “probably” won’t be playing football professionally again:

Ask Manziel where he considers his football career at this point, and you get a refreshingly candid answer.

“In the past, probably, is the way I’d characterize it,” Manziel said, leaning forward and without a moment’s hesitation. “I’ve finally got to a point where I’m trying to achieve happiness in life, not happiness on the football field.

“I know a lot of people probably want me to come back and play and give it another chance, but I don’t know, as far as being a person and figuring out life as a young adult — trying to make it and figure it out — if I’ve ever been in a better place than I’m in right now. I can honestly say I’m happy and I’m doing the right things to try and put a smile on my face every day, and that means more to me than going out and grinding on a football field.”

Manziel was last seen suiting up for the Memphis Express of the Alliance of American Football, where he appeared in two games before the league suddenly folded. Before that, Manziel had been a part of two teams in the Canadian Football League until the league effectively banned him.

It has been nearly a half-decade since Manziel’s last pass in the NFL, a season in which when posted seven touchdowns and five interceptions with the Cleveland Browns.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Johnny Manziel believes he will not play NFL football again
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 28, 2020 11:21PM
Self-inflicted wounds for Johnny. It's not at all certain anyone will play football in the near future.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 29, 2020 12:46AM
He’s probably right.

It is what it is.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 29, 2020 07:35AM
I would be surprised if Johnny still as an agent!

I'm not currently seeing any glaring QB vacancies...
Even aging Joe Flacco got a one year deal as a Jets back-up QB and RGIII is still under
contract with the Ravens as back-up QB until March 21, 2021.
Other QB signings:
Seahawks signed Geno Smith, Jags signed Mike Glennon, Cowboys got Andy Dalton,
Saints signed Jameis Winston & resigned Taysom Hill, Jets resigned David Fales,
Bucs resigned Blaine Gabbert, Broncos signed Jeff Driskel, Giants signed Colt McCoy,
Pats signed Brian Hoyer, and Brownies signed Case Keenum.
Forgot that Cam Newton just signed with the Pats!

btw, is Johnny still persona non grata in Canada emoticon-tv-015

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2020 09:59AM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 29, 2020 09:42AM
.....man.....up.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 29, 2020 09:46AM
who?

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 29, 2020 10:22AM
Johnny Football never mentally got out of the high School / College Quarterback party boy role. Fortunately for him his parents can support him in the lifestyle to which is has become accustomed. Until he burns his brain/body out. Bipolar is hard enough without all the extra crap he's using for self-medication.

Hey, I hope there is a redemption story arc for the dude, but his repeated collapses sort of predict against that.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 29, 2020 10:55AM
Not knowing much about the guy, I just read that he's bi-polar. No wonder he isn't an effective player. It seems that people are rejoicing... was he a big time jerk or something?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 29, 2020 03:23PM
hal
Not knowing much about the guy, I just read that he's bi-polar. No wonder he isn't an effective player. It seems that people are rejoicing... was he a big time jerk or something?

Problematic player and in trouble with the law in high school and college, but Texas forgives all sins up to and including murder (but not cattle rustling) for Quarterbacks.

Sold as "The Next Big Thing", believed his own hype. Drafted by my foolish hometown Cleveland Browns in their continuous rebuilding year. Fell apart in a drug and alcohol fueled explosion of decadence and dumbassery and was cut from the team after two seasons of pitiful and non existent play, to the mockery of the Browns fans. Kept trying to play football in the CFL and kept blowing it. Claims to be bi-polar as opposed to drug and alcohol dependent (for which he has had arrests..).

[en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: pqrst
Date: June 29, 2020 04:04PM
I hope he figures out his life. Maybe coach for a local high school or something. I doubt that a major college would take him on in any capacity.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 29, 2020 04:56PM
I don't think he's close to the 90th Best Quarterback around (30 teams x 3 QBs). OTOH, I know of a (probably) top ten QB has been out of work for a few years as well

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: datbeme
Date: June 30, 2020 10:05AM
How prophetic was that Snickers "Johnny JamBoogie" commercial?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 218
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018