advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Car Tires: a little MRF guidance please
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 29, 2020 09:41AM
Searching back thru the last year or so I found some helpful posts but crave more current info.
This isn't an immediate/gottahave purchase, just before cold weather returns.
Basic info: 2016 VW Passat FWD (215/60R16 95H) < 5k miles/year in Mid-Atlantic area.

Any preferred sellers; Costco, Discount Tires, Tire Rack, others?
Any tire brands or retailers to avoid?

This would be a set of four "All Season", installed & balanced.
btw, My VW doesn't use "TPMS Sensors" in the wheel, it's ABS software based.

T-I-A thumbsup smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2020 09:50AM by MrNoBody.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Car Tires: a little MRF guidance please
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 29, 2020 09:45AM
Costco and Michellins when on sale. Usually come around every 2-3 months. The other times its usually Bridgestone/BF Goodrich.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 29, 2020 09:48AM
Just to be clear - you're shopping for winter tires?

Date: June 29, 2020 09:50AM
mattkime
Just to be clear - you're shopping for winter tires?
sorry, all season.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 29, 2020 09:55AM
Since you drive less that 5,000 miles a year--Long mileage warranties may not be important. I like the Michelin Premier, but you should spend some time at TireRack.com to read the reviews and tests. I like Costco as the place to purchase because they have great service and warranty.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 29, 2020 09:56AM
I always get my tires at Costco. They just cycled out of their Michelin promotion and are in their Bridgestone promotion now — they typically alternate between Michelin and Bridgestone promotions every other month.

It is what it is.
Date: June 29, 2020 09:56AM
I currently run whatever the most recent version of the Michelin Defender. It is all season M&S rated, low rolling resistance, reasonably quiet, and have an 80K tread wear warranty I think. Got them at Costco with the $90 off and free mounting/balancing.

When I switched from Bridgestone Ecopias, I noticed the wet traction/handling was better.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2020 09:57AM by Racer X.
Posted by: Schpark
Date: June 29, 2020 10:08AM
I always end up at Discount tire as they are convenient and the lowest price. Have had many free flat repairs (even if the tire was not purchased there). i do the free air fill and free tire rotations as well. There isa location right by my home and right by my work.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 29, 2020 10:12AM
You are doing less than 5k a year, you'll have dry rot before you drive the tread down. Why not consider low mileage used or takeoffs?

Look for a set with no plugs and 9/32 or better depth rating. Those are talking tires with less than 5000 miles on them.

The price is often half that of new. I've had success at bestusedtires.com and eBay.

You will need a shop to mount them, generally about $20/tire

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: June 29, 2020 10:25AM
Racer X
I currently run whatever the most recent version of the Michelin Defender. It is all season M&S rated, low rolling resistance, reasonably quiet, and have an 80K tread wear warranty I think. Got them at Costco with the $90 off and free mounting/balancing.

My much missed 2006 Jetta 2.0T loved the Michelin Defenders. All-weather handling was great. I got mine at Discount Tire.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 29, 2020 10:26AM
Another vote for warehouse store and the Michelin deals. Sam's club for me, Costco is like 35 miles away, Sam's club is 2 miles. I can drop off the car and walk home.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 29, 2020 10:27AM
Putting that car (1.8 Liter Turbo) into TireRack gets a recommendation for "Grand Touring All-Season" tires.

Then you can rank the categories and look to see which tires get ranked in the top five or top ten and decide if you want to trade off Road-Noise/Comfort for Wet, Dry, Ice/Snow traction.
www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS&width=215%2F&ratio=60&diameter=16&&autoMake=Volkswagen&autoYear=2016&autoModel=Passat+1.8T&vehicleSearch=true&sortValue=16#ratingsSort

The top 5 are (also in approximate cost):
$166 - Michelin CrossClimate+
$143 - Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack
$145 - Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady
$121 - Firestone WeatherGrip
$115 - Continental PureContact LS

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: June 29, 2020 10:28AM
I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 that I'm using as a summer tire and I'm super happy with it. I'll still use a dedicated winter (I live in Wisconsin) tire but I wanted something that could survive the freak late or early snowstorm. Nice and grippy, quiet, I'm not sure what else there is to say. Oh, they're not the longest life tire. That doesn't matter to me and might not to you if you're driving so little.

I bought tires from costco. They have good prices and install is free if you wait for their special periods - they seem to alternate between brands. That said, for me its all about price.

If you're driving so little (and we're driving very little right now) I recommend using 303 Aerospace on your tires once or twice a year. I've been very impressed with its ability to extend the life of rubber. [www.amazon.com]

Oh, I have a 2017 VW Golf Alltrack

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2020 11:33AM by mattkime.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 29, 2020 11:07AM
MrNobody,

I stand by the advice I posted in this thread:

<[forums.macresource.com];

Filliam's advice is along the same lines. A make and model and size tire from X that is great on Y car may not do nearly as well as the same make, model and size on your car. That you don't put that much mileage on the car annually is another factor to consider. You have to go with what is well regarded for your specific vehicle.

Robert
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 29, 2020 12:02PM
I used to default to Costco, but you exponentially widen your choices by looking at other places. At TR I was able to find a great deal on "all-weather" tires for about $440 shipped. Mounting locally with road force balance (highly recommended) adds about $110 on to that. I chose Vredestein tires, that I can keep on the car much longer than all seasons, and are excellent in the rain.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 29, 2020 12:05PM
Tire Rack tends to include Road Hazard in their pricing. If you normally buy it, this often makes Tire Rack's pricing even more competitive.
Date: June 29, 2020 12:23PM
mattkime
I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 .... Oh, they're not the longest life tire.

No kidding! I just completed a tread life warranty replacement at Costco on the Michelin Premiers on my QX70. Manufacturer tread life rating is 60K -- I got just 31K out of mine.

The warranty claim was easy peasy at Costco -- got a new set of tires for about half price. Wouldn't ya know it, though... picked up my first screw within five days of having the new tires put on! Fortunately, Costco also offers tire puncture warranty. smiling smiley

It is what it is.
Posted by: Cary
Date: June 29, 2020 12:50PM
I'm really like the Continental Extreme Contact DWS series. Very good dry performance, excellent wet performance, low noise, and passable in snow. Highly recommended.

I also second the take-off/used tire idea - check bestusedtires.com...
Posted by: lost in space
Date: June 29, 2020 01:02PM
We've had great luck shopping salvage yards for lightly used tires. Like mentioned before, less than half of retail. They're matched sets, off the same car, with little wear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2020 01:03PM by lost in space.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 29, 2020 01:52PM
I like Discount Tires, but there is no Costco close. Read the reviews on Discount Tires and Tire Rack.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: June 29, 2020 03:02PM
Assuming the coordinates in your sig are correct, then you do not have Les Schwab in your area. That is my first choice due to service and support.

Otherwise, I would go with Costco and set a range of $$ you can afford. The tire department at Costco probably has far more knowledge about tires than we do collectively. It doesn't make sense to go for a tire rated for very high miles. At 5K per year, you will experience weathering issues on the sidewalls before you wear them out.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: June 29, 2020 03:52PM
Thanks all!
Markintosh, yeah no Les Schwab. No 'Big O' either.

My only issue w/ Costco is I can't see all the pricing w/o a membership.
Membership would cost me $30 ($60 - $30 gift card) but I'm not going to join
just to get pricing for tires I may not buy!

Checked bestusedtires.com, no sets of four in used, only in new & brands I have
never heard of!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

Date: June 29, 2020 04:23PM
Discount Tire is also generous with coupons. I bet they would also tell you when the best time to buy for the winter is, price wise.
Date: June 29, 2020 04:46PM
From what I've heard discount tire is good at matching costco prices. Grab the costco membership if you're interested in trying costco otherwise leave it.

Date: June 29, 2020 05:32PM
Discount Tire slid me a coupon I didn't even know about. I had one for $40 off and while I was getting out my credit card, the clerk said "Here's another coupon" and slid me another $40 one. They also replaced my donut with a full sized tire and wheel without telling me.
Date: June 29, 2020 06:22PM
I have done business with Discount as well. They do match Costco's prices if you bring in a printout of a Costco estimate. You can also get them to do their Tire Replacement warranty at half price if you bargain.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 29, 2020 07:13PM
I always end up at Belle Tire, which is a chain similar to Discount Tire, but I think Belle only has locations in a few states. Anyway, I would recommend Discount Tire and/or just generally shop around in your locale.

I have never been impressed by Costco when it comes to tires. They have decent, but not great, prices on what they have but are pretty limited in selection and also seem to only carry higher-end tires. I have found much better deals at places like Discount Tire.

Date: June 29, 2020 07:28PM
MrNoBody
My only issue w/ Costco is I can't see all the pricing w/o a membership.
Membership would cost me $30 ($60 - $30 gift card) but I'm not going to join
just to get pricing for tires I may not buy!

Ahhh...but no, you have been misled. You can go to Costco.com to check pricing specific to your area, even without a membership.

They also will show current specials and give some good indications on which tires may be good for your situation. If you see something you like, that could motivate you to buy the membership.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: June 29, 2020 08:22PM
Cary
I'm really like the Continental Extreme Contact DWS series. Very good dry performance, excellent wet performance, low noise, and passable in snow. Highly recommended.

I also second the take-off/used tire idea - check bestusedtires.com...

+1, have those on our 2017 VW Golf and absolutely love them. As you note, they’re particularly grippy in wet weather.

Date: June 29, 2020 09:20PM
Markintosh
Ahhh...but no, you have been misled. You can go to Costco.com to check pricing specific to your area, even without a membership..

Not what I'm seeing...

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

Date: June 29, 2020 10:36PM
MrNoBody
Markintosh
Ahhh...but no, you have been misled. You can go to Costco.com to check pricing specific to your area, even without a membership..

Not what I'm seeing...

$105.99 per tire for that Bridgestone BF Goodrich and $119.99 for the Michelin. Both prices are pre-discount.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2020 01:10AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: June 29, 2020 10:51PM
Weird...I am not signed in...but maybe there's a cookie with my membership...

PM if you want prices on anything...

Posted by: Mr645
Date: June 30, 2020 06:29AM
I am also a big fan of the Michelin Pilot series like the A/S 3 and also the Continental DWS. I use the summer versions since I am in Florida and never need to deal with cold temps
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 207
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018