advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Stuck on Windows 10 1511
Posted by: prof
Date: June 29, 2020 12:08PM
I appreciate that this is a mac forum but I there are some knowledgeable Windows people here and I've just about run out of options to my problem. I'm running and i7 960 at stock settings on a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R mobo and a GTX-460 video card. I have W10 1511 installed on it but I can't seem to update from it. I tried going thru the the Windows update control panel and some updates install but others fail and the update process rolls me back to my original version. I also tried downloading the Windows Update Assistant exe from Microsoft and that ends in the same result. I've also created a USB installer with the Windows 10 Media Creator and when that install completes I'm running W10 1511 and updates from it don't work either. Any suggestions on how I can get on beyond W10 1511 would be GREATLY appreciated.

TIA,
prof

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2020 12:15PM by prof.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Stuck on Windows 10 1511
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 29, 2020 12:17PM
I had a problem about a year or so ago where Windows would not update.

I had to run some batch file or something to fix things.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: June 29, 2020 12:24PM
I had the same problem with Windows on my Bootcamp partition. After days of futzing around with it, I ended up downloading the (then) current version of Windows 10 installer, and doing a clean installation. It was a PITA to reinstall all the software (which included contacting 3 companies to get them to reset my authorization keys), but it worked.

Just be sure to have your Windows 10 key to reactivate Windows 10.
Nirsoft's "produkey" can help you extract that information, if you do not have it available to you.
Date: June 29, 2020 12:39PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I have not tried the current W10 installer because My windows 10 licence was a free upgrade from Windows 7 and therefore I don't have a product key. Will the Nirsoft software be able to extract a key in that situation??
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: June 29, 2020 12:49PM
It will update fine, no need to worry about a key. The hardware is already registered with Microsoft, so the upgrade to the latest version will activate fine.

[www.techspot.com]

Just download the latest Media Creation Tool from Microsoft and upgrade away.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 29, 2020 12:57PM
.....once got tongue stuck on frozen pole......ouch.....that hurt......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Carm
Date: June 29, 2020 04:40PM
onthedownlow
It will update fine, no need to worry about a key. The hardware is already registered with Microsoft, so the upgrade to the latest version will activate fine.

[www.techspot.com]

Just download the latest Media Creation Tool from Microsoft and upgrade away.

This, I did this exactly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2020 04:41PM by Carm.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: June 29, 2020 04:43PM
prof
Thanks for the suggestion. I have not tried the current W10 installer because My windows 10 licence was a free upgrade from Windows 7 and therefore I don't have a product key. Will the Nirsoft software be able to extract a key in that situation??

I believe it will. At the very least, you should still be able to activate it using the Windows 7 key you upgraded from - I was able to do so on my PC. In any case, I recommend making a restorable backup using something like the free version of Macrium Reflect before attempting anything. Good luck, and please keep us informed of your progress.
Date: July 03, 2020 02:11PM
update: After some digging I found out that Windows 10 issued an update at the end of may that stops Nvidia video cards from working. It's been over a month with no sign of a resolution from Nvidia or Microsoft. This is a huge deal because it stops all Nvidia video cards older than a few years from working. Microsoft says this happens from a major revision update and can be avoided by not upgrading your OS, but that's not true. I had 1511 on my machine and the video driver stopped working. I did manage to update to 2004 but it's the same thing. I have 2 other PC's on 1511 and their video card drivers no longer work either, so it's not one video card going bad. It's surprising to me that there's not more being made of this. If you're on an older laptop with built in GPU, you are screwed. This effectively forces you to buy a new laptop. In the case of desktops it forces you to buy a new video card with the one you have works fine before Microsoft's update. There's no incentive for nvidia to fix this because it spurs more video card sales. If I end up having to buy more video cards, I'm buying AMD. This is ridiculous.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 225
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018