advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Homeowners insurance w/storm damage - who makes the first estimate, my contractors or insurance company?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 29, 2020 02:27PM
I have structural and roof damage. It will take two contractors to repair everything. The insurance company first said they would send pictures to the "home office" and determine the damages there now they called and want estimates from the contractors first. Everyone I talked to said that doesn't sound right. Who goes first?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Homeowners insurance w/storm damage - who makes the first estimate, my contractors or insurance company?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: June 29, 2020 02:37PM
Speaking from experience, I can tell you that we did nothing until the adjuster came to our house and created an exhaustive list of damages and how much they figured it would cost to repair each line item.

Date: June 29, 2020 02:56PM
The company's answer to everything they do or don't do is the Coronavirus.
Re: Homeowners insurance w/storm damage - who makes the first estimate, my contractors or insurance company?
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 29, 2020 03:02PM
A neighbor had pipe burst in her house, she had to get a lawyer to get the insurance company to cover the damage. I highly recommend you get some referrals for an attorney, just in case.
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: June 29, 2020 03:06PM
I think it depends on the situation. I've done three claims over the years on homeowner's insurance. Two of those times were due to storm damage. The claims adjuster said they were swamped with claim requests so I should just get a quote form a contactor and they would pay whatever the charge was. On one of those claims I was provided with the name of a contractor to contact by the adjuster.
Posted by: Cary
Date: June 29, 2020 03:29PM
If the damage is significant, you might want to consider an independent adjuster. Yes, they take a cut, but they also know how to work the insurance company.
Date: June 29, 2020 04:11PM
Giving the insurance company the benefit of a doubt, maybe they are snowed under and will just lay what the contractor estimates, within reason, to get caught up or clear the decks.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: June 29, 2020 06:09PM
Insurance company always goes first. Unless it is something like flood damage where things need to be cleaned up quickly from a biological standpoint. We've done roof and flood. We called about the roof and the adjuster came out to inspect it first, then we got the roofer in. For the flood, we talked to the insurance company. They said to go ahead with the cleanup while they found an adjuster who could come out a week later to inspect things.

It's always a good thing to call the insurance company right away and follow their lead. Otherwise, you might "void the warranty".
Date: June 29, 2020 06:16PM
This was requested by the insurance company. I really think what I said above is the case now.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 29, 2020 06:56PM
Their adjusters are probably all busy. You can probably wait for them, or just get estimates on your own. IF you do get your own estimates make sure the companies are VERY through. The insurance company is only going to settle with you once.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Mr645
Date: June 30, 2020 06:26AM
Why not ask the insurance company? I had some storm damage but nothing too serious. The insurance company was backed up and they said I could fix the damage, save photos and receipts for repairs. They eventually got an adjuster out and they sent me a check for the repairs.
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: June 30, 2020 07:50AM
In reality, it shouldn't make any difference who goes first. If the estimates don't agree and the insurance company has the lower estimate, the contractor (or other adjuster) will deal with the insurance company. I've had this happen a couple of times where the contractor found and identified more damage than the insurance company and in the end the insurance company agreed and up'ed their estimate.

Also, if the damage was widespread due to a natural disaster (many homes in your area suffered similar damage), then the way the claims are handled is different from an single individual case. In a disaster the insurance company typically sends in claims adjusters from outside the area and they are paid a commission on the value of the claims written. So it's to their advantage to give a much higher estimate on the damages. But if it's an individual claim the claims adjuster is usually working on his/er normal salary and it's to their benefit to keep the claim value as low as possible.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: June 30, 2020 10:23AM
bobinmurphy
In reality, it shouldn't make any difference who goes first. If the estimates don't agree and the insurance company has the lower estimate, the contractor (or other adjuster) will deal with the insurance company. I've had this happen a couple of times where the contractor found and identified more damage than the insurance company and in the end the insurance company agreed and up'ed their estimate.

I did much the same recently when a large tree branch (big enough to be mistaken for a trunk) landed on the home of a late relative that was already up for sale.

I called the local agent who started the claim & who also recommended a local restoration company that came and removed the tree.

My first phone call with the adjuster was not very productive so I insisted they & the company deal with each other directly & agree on a price before I would authorize any repairs.

Final results were good but IMHO it took about a month longer than it should have.

Fortunately, though, the home sold not long after repairs were completed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 192
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018