advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
the circle of life?!.....'Cirque du Soleil' declares bankruptcy.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 29, 2020 10:26PM
......another bankruptcy.....

Cirque du Soleil, theatrical high flyer, files for bankruptcy protection

....Cirque du Soleil has filed for bankruptcy protection just three months after temporarily canceling dozens of its flashy acrobatic shows worldwide because of the coronavirus pandemic. The Canadian company said it plans to fire about 3,500 circus workers and back-office employees as part of a restructuring plan.

A group of investors will inject $300 million in cash in the Montreal-based company to keep it afloat during bankruptcy proceedings, Cirque du Soleil said. The plan requires approval from a Québec judge.

It's a hard landing for a world-famous troupe that had started in the 1980s as a small group of street performers in Quebec and grew to become the largest theatrical producer in the world, performing in 450 cities across more than 50 countries for almost 200 million spectators.

"For the past 36 years, Cirque du Soleil has been a highly successful and profitable organization," CEO Daniel Lamarre said in a statement. "However, with zero revenues since the forced closure of all of our shows due to COVID-19, management had to act decisively to protect the company's future."

It's unclear if Cirque du Soleil will refund ticket holders for their purchase. The company stopped short of saying no refunds on its website and has instead advised its customers "to hold on to their tickets."

Cirque du Soleil temporarily closed its Las Vegas and Orlando shows on March 15 and 17, respectively, due to the coronavirus pandemic. All told, the company has canceled 44 U.S. shows including in Boston, Chicago, Denver, Houston, New Orleans and Salt Lake City. The entertainment company, which tours worldwide, began canceling its shows in Italy, Russia, Israel, Australia, South Korea and Egypt on March 13.

three ring......circus........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: the circle of life?!.....'Cirque du Soleil' declares bankruptcy.....
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 30, 2020 12:34AM
If Cirque du Soleil has a pension fund worth stripping of assets, they'll find a vulture capitalist black knight to buy them out of BK.
Posted by: robfilms
Date: June 30, 2020 08:26AM
another sad result of COVID.

i have always enjoyed their wild, over-the-top style and performances.

i wish them and their people good luck and a path forward.

thumbs up.

rob
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 30, 2020 08:54AM
Look for good deals on colorful Lycra!
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 30, 2020 10:04AM
Acer
Look for good deals on colorful Lycra!

smiley-laughing001
Posted by: decay
Date: June 30, 2020 11:13AM
some of the best performances I have seen, totally worth the expensive ticket prices!

---
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 01, 2020 03:17PM
decay
some of the best performances I have seen, totally worth the expensive ticket prices!

I've been once. I have to say it was a harder to appreciate from the cheap seats. Get close if you can.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 01, 2020 07:35PM
Mixed feelings. I’d miss them, but...

Saw their original touring show many years ago, and was blown away! Every act was novel; unlike anything I’d ever seen before.

Over the years I’ve been about 4 more times; as they created multiple simultaneous touring companies and multiple themes/storylines.
Each iteration was progressively less unique, incorporating more and more conventional circus acts; example - Chinese contortionists no different (other than fancier costumes, see “Lycra” above) than had been on television and other circuses for most of the last century.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 192
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018