advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Driveway repair advice needed
Posted by: Ammo
Date: June 30, 2020 04:34PM
I have a large (2” wide x 3”deep) gap where our asphalt driveway meets the concrete apron to the street. I cleaned out the crack and now I’m uncertain about the best way to fill it - online advice varies quite a bit. I live in a climate where temps vary a lot from summer to winter, so if possible, the solution would accommodate that fact. Any suggestions for the best way to repair this?

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2020 04:36PM by Ammo.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Driveway repair advice needed
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 30, 2020 05:32PM
Well-chewed sugarless bubble gum, topped w/ urethane caulking.
==
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 30, 2020 05:43PM
Too wide to caulk. Probably needs cold patch and caulk the seams.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: June 30, 2020 05:44PM
Ammo
I have a large (2” wide x 3”deep) gap where our asphalt driveway meets the concrete apron to the street. I cleaned out the crack and now I’m uncertain about the best way to fill it - online advice varies quite a bit. I live in a climate where temps vary a lot from summer to winter, so if possible, the solution would accommodate that fact. Any suggestions for the best way to repair this?

Lowes, Menard, and Home Depot all sell bags of tar patch (road asphalt) that will do what you want. Lay it in the crack and tamp it down with end of a 2x4 or 1x2.

Gonna ask my Mother if that offer to slap
me into next year is still on the table.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 30, 2020 06:27PM
modelamac
Ammo

Lowes, Menard, and Home Depot all sell bags of tar patch (road asphalt) that will do what you want. Lay it in the crack and tamp it down with end of a 2x4 or 1x2.

Or hire it done and get it done right.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 30, 2020 07:59PM
Or check with this guy.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 30, 2020 08:00PM
....too big to fill with.....caulk......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 30, 2020 08:08PM
Buzz
Well-chewed sugarless bubble gum, topped w/ urethane caulking.
==

And some SMALL bubble bubble wrap as packing.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 30, 2020 09:00PM
macphanatic
Too wide to caulk. Probably needs cold patch and caulk the seams.

...And after it has had a few days to set, seal it. Otherwise water will get in there and it'll be gone again by mid-winter.

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 30, 2020 09:56PM
Would it help to reinforce the asphalt with rebar or gravel?
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 30, 2020 10:48PM
This is the best do it yourself stuff that I’ve seen.

[www.amazon.com]

Or hire a pro.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: July 01, 2020 12:01AM
We have a similar crack in our driveway where it passes over a culvert. That last time the driveway sealing company came out, they filled it with rubbery black caulk type stuff. It has held up for three years, as opposed to other repairs that used hot or cold patch asphalt that just cracks as soon as water gets in and freezes.

We're having the same company come out and reseal the driveway in a couple of weeks. The estimate includes resealing that crack.

My suggestion is to call in a professional...

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2020 12:02AM by Markintosh.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: July 01, 2020 06:57AM
You could use a flexible foam type filler, similar to a pool noodle. This is made specifically for concrete. This takes up space, so less of the patching product is needed. For the patch, there should be some flexible epoxy products.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: July 01, 2020 11:35AM
Thx to all who responded. I’m going to try a pro, but I’ve heard it’s hard to find one who’s willing to come out for such a small job.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 01, 2020 12:54PM
NewtonMP2100
....too big to fill with.....caulk......???

Nah. Just buy it in a 55 gallon drum. It will be a bear to use the caulk gun though.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 01, 2020 07:20PM
Ammo
Thx to all who responded. I’m going to try a pro, but I’ve heard it’s hard to find one who’s willing to come out for such a small job.

Tell them there is no urgency and they can do it when they next are in the neighborhood.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018