advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Questions about cataracts
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 01, 2020 03:35PM
My opthamologist said I had the beginnings of one in my right eye a few months ago. Lately I've had what I describe as a "fish scale" over my eye sometimes. I'm going back to see him next week. Does that sound like a cataract?

Question 2: Is the operation a big deal?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Questions about cataracts
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 01, 2020 03:55PM
You're sure to get lots of responses. I had both eyes done about six months apart, more than ten years ago. One of the best things I've had done. It's a hell of a way to end up with better vision since it's basically an age-related defect. But the end result is that the only time I need to put on glasses now is when I'm driving at night.

The operation itself was a piece of cake...as long as you don't think about it. smiling smiley
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 01, 2020 04:08PM
It's usually caused by UV damage. Easy to prevent if you usually wear UV filtering sunglasses, or have a UV filter coating on your glasses.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 01, 2020 04:56PM
This is true for me, too. Except I need driving glasses day and night. Which was true before!

wurm
You're sure to get lots of responses. I had both eyes done about six months apart, more than ten years ago. One of the best things I've had done. It's a hell of a way to end up with better vision since it's basically an age-related defect. But the end result is that the only time I need to put on glasses now is when I'm driving at night.

The operation itself was a piece of cake...as long as you don't think about it. smiling smiley
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 01, 2020 05:27PM
Got both eyes fixed about 18 months ago. posted here
It's like having "18 year old" eyesight again. I just had an exam, still 20/20!

In general NO. You want to choose an experienced surgeon who keeps up on
procedures and has a surgery with the latest gear. Mine was done with
Femtosecond laser-assisted cataract surgery. Supposed to be the latest & greatest.

Honestly, filling out the pre-op paperwork took longer than the actual surgery.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 01, 2020 05:40PM
MrNoBody
Got both eyes fixed about 18 months ago. posted here
It's like having "18 year old" eyesight again. I just had an exam, still 20/20!

In general NO. You want to choose an experienced surgeon who keeps up on
procedures and has a surgery with the latest gear. Mine was done with
Femtosecond laser-assisted cataract surgery. Supposed to be the latest & greatest.

Honestly, filling out the pre-op paperwork took longer than the actual surgery.

This. Early onset cataracts (~age 50) run in both sides of my family. I had my eyes done a couple of years ago, and threw away all my contact lenses after the second eye was done. Prior to the surgery I almost had to stop driving at night thanks to the cataracts, and they were seriously degrading even my corrected vision with contacts.

The only regret I have is that the excellent multi-focal lenses that my dad had implanted in the 90's are no longer on the market, and I had to settle for a pair that's good from roughly computer monitor distance (say 12 to 18 inches from my eyes) to the horizon. Anything closer than that I need +1.25 readers ($1 apiece at DollarTree).

While I do dislike having to use the readers for close work now, I do NOT miss my myopia (which kicked in around age 18) going away.
Date: July 01, 2020 05:46PM
It actually cures nearsightedness?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 01, 2020 05:59PM
Dennis S

That's my understanding. They replace your lens. I have a cataract on my left eye. It appears to be growing slowly. It was diagnosed about 5 years ago, at 45.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Ammo
Date: July 01, 2020 06:30PM
You can have your vision corrected for either near or far sight. IIRC, there also may be a way to accomplish both, but with some caveats. Due to an especially thick cataract in one of my eyes, the surgery left me at risk for glaucoma. As a precaution, I’ll probably need to take daily drops in that eye for the rest of my life.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Date: July 01, 2020 06:54PM
Dennis S

They replace your natural lenses with flexible plastic versions, and while they're at it they correct your vision--might as well, right?

You can get either monofocal (so afterwards you're either nearsighted or farsighted, although there's also the option to have one of each), or multifocal lenses, which approximate full range of vision. Multifocal costs more (monofocal is usually covered by insurance), and isn't perfect (I still need readers for close work and, er, reading), but otherwise I have 20/20 vision, after being severely nearsighted for about 30 years.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 01, 2020 07:42PM
Eye Dr. told me I had them on both eyes. He said it was likely caused from me taking Lyrica some years ago. He said it artificially ages some peoples eyes. I have to get new glasses every 9 month to a year. He said they may need to come off in 6 months or 6 years. Just going to have to watch them. I'm 57 yo.

Good luck.

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2020 07:43PM by Grateful11.
Posted by: Don C
Date: July 01, 2020 10:18PM
I expect to have the procedure done this year. I will be making my annual appointment with the eye doc soon and this will be a point of discussion. The "fish scale" you speak of might be floaters, little pieces of retina that break off and float around inside your eye. No fix for those (last time I asked).
Date: July 01, 2020 10:38PM
I don't think it's a floater. It's lots bigger and not near as dark. It covers a big area, also similar to a fish scale.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: July 01, 2020 11:04PM
Ammo
You can have your vision corrected for either near or far sight. IIRC, there also may be a way to accomplish both, but with some caveats. Due to an especially thick cataract in one of my eyes, the surgery left me at risk for glaucoma. As a precaution, I’ll probably need to take daily drops in that eye for the rest of my life.

You can choose to have different lenses in each eye. I had both eyes done about ten years ago and paid extra to have what they called "Mini-mono". Distance vision in one eye and computer to mid-range in the other. At first I didn't need readers, but now, ten years on, I have a pair of readers hanging from my neck.

Saved a lot of money on new glasses every couple of years.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]
Date: July 01, 2020 11:22PM
I assume you get used to having different visions in each eye?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 02, 2020 12:18AM
Yes, it's common. Rare to have trouble with it. For me, they gave me some contact lenses to emulate the effect, and it worked fine. I had to try a couple different levels of correct in the two eyes to find one that worked.

Dennis S
Date: July 02, 2020 06:20AM
Dennis S

The eye surgeon who did my procedure has that configuration (for lack of a better word) himself. For obvious reasons he needs to be able to do very close work in at least one eye. The way he described it, the brain learns to interpolate the two signals pretty quickly.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 02, 2020 07:33AM
....keep your eyes.......on the prize......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: July 02, 2020 08:50AM
I had both my eyes done about 6 months ago, 5 days apart. I chose to pay an additional amount beyond the Medicare allowance to have the new lenses correct for astigmatism. So I don't need glasses now for distance...only for reading/computer. Since I could not fathom having to carry around readers all the time, I chose to get progressive eyeglasses that have basically clear area at the top and reading correction gradually at the bottom. They also have photo darkening, or whatever they call it, and that means I don't have to have sunglasses.

I'm quite happy with the results. BTW, medicare pays for part of your new glasses and frames for the first pair after surgery.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 02, 2020 11:21AM
Dennis S
Worked for me. Additionally I rarely need 'readers' except for extreme tiny print
on labels, etc. Usually because the print is of poor quality to begin with!

I received SA60ST standard UV lenses: 20.5D left & 19.5D right. No extra costs.
Did have to pay a little for the non-generic eye drops, but not outrageous.

Oh, Medicare pays (limited) for prescription readers post cataract surgery.
iirc, you can get a free pair every two years (or is it every year?).
smiley_gun_sniper

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2020 11:30AM by MrNoBody.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 253
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018