advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Advice on patching hole in wall
Posted by: davemchine
Date: July 02, 2020 05:08PM
My first solution was to hang a picture over it but it needs to be fixed. I was going to buy a kit with the self adhering webbing and the filler past but I'm wondering if this is too big? Maybe I should just cut it out? What would your advice be?

[colquhoun.info]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Advice on patching hole in wall
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 02, 2020 05:16PM
I would cut it out. Get some wood that is longer than the hole is wide. Slip through the hole and use drywall screws to secure the wood in place. I'd probably use 2 strips that are 1-1/2 inches wide and 1/2 or 3/4 inch thick. Then put a piece of drywall in and screw it to the wood.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 02, 2020 05:21PM
That needs to be patched with a piece of sheetrock.

1. Use a sheetrock saw or multitool to make a rectangular cutout around the hole.

2. Slide a piece of wood somewhat longer than the hole into the hole and screw sheetrock screws through the sheetrock at the two ends of the wood so that the wood is secured and spans the hole, providing a base to attach your new piece of sheetrock.

3. Cut a new piece of sheetrock to fit the hole.

4. Secure the sheetrock to the wood with sheetrock screws.

5. Scrape off the texture adjacent to the hole and tape the borders of the new piece of sheetrock (lots of videos on YouTube showing how to do this).

6. Mud the area using a 10" sheetrock knife and all-purpose drywall compound after viewing YouTube videos.

7. Finish and texture the repair. This is the hard part...matching the existing texture. YouTube is your friend. Also, there may be some instant texture you can buy from the hardware store to make this easier.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 02, 2020 05:28PM
There are thin self adhesive metal plates up to 8”x8” that would work, if it is less than 8x8.

8 in. x 8 in. Drywall Self Adhesive Wall Repair Patch

[www.homedepot.com]

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 02, 2020 05:54PM
The hardest part will be matching the texture.

Theres texture in a can... but you will want to practice... a lot. I have had more luck with the textured patches. Did 2 big ones side by side over a repair. Burnished the edges and painted -- can barely see it unless you are looking right at it.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: July 02, 2020 07:08PM
Thank you for all the help. Hopefully I can make a go of it. :-)
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 02, 2020 07:17PM
.....you must be strong to punch a hole like that in the wall....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 02, 2020 07:22PM
There are several videos on YouTube.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 02, 2020 08:12PM
This is one of the better ideas I've seen

[www.youtube.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 02, 2020 08:15PM
I had good luck with this stuff - [www.3m.com]

It would allow you to just fill in the hole. matching texture would remain a challenge.

I used this on a number of sconce removals.

Posted by: Microman
Date: July 03, 2020 10:25PM
Do the thing with Sheetrock, but make sure to buy Drywall Shims, to bring the patch out to just below the wall, Then buy a bucket of All Purpose Drywall mud ($6.95), and use a metal drywall spreader, and let it dry then next day sand...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018