advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Bringing baseball back - this aint never gonna work!
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 02, 2020 11:36PM
There's also a ban on spitting, which many baseball players do conspicuously. Spitting, "including but not limited to saliva, sunflower seeds or peanut shells, or tobacco," is prohibited.

What's next? No crotch scratching?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Bringing baseball back - this aint never gonna work!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 03, 2020 12:15AM
The field stuff is all kind of a farce, since they have to sit on the bench and then go into the locker room, where they surely won't keep 6 ft apart.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 03, 2020 08:21AM
mrbigstuff
The field stuff is all kind of a farce, since they have to sit on the bench and then go into the locker room, where they surely won't keep 6 ft apart.

They can put benches on the field on either side of the dugout. Same for the locker rooms; put some lockers in the hallways, etc. The players don’t have to shower.

But how do the players maintain distance on the field of play?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2020 08:22AM by Speedy.
Date: July 03, 2020 10:44AM
Speedy
mrbigstuff

They can put benches on the field on either side of the dugout. Same for the locker rooms; put some lockers in the hallways, etc. The players don’t have to shower.

But how do the players maintain distance on the field of play?

Those are some tight quarters, not sure that is physically possible, even if they have no extras on the bench.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 03, 2020 10:48AM
Of all the various sports, I think that baseball is one where they could bring the fans back in a limited fashion.

It is played outside, so the risk of people getting infected from someone else is quite low if people are kept at appropriate distances, and required to wear masks.

Baseball could even give away large numbers of tickets for free via some sort of lottery. Or perhaps sell them at just enough of a price to cover their stadium operating expenses. This would certainly earn them some goodwill with the fans.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 03, 2020 01:31PM
RgrF
There's also a ban on spitting, which many baseball players do conspicuously. Spitting, "including but not limited to saliva, sunflower seeds or peanut shells, or tobacco," is prohibited.

How about a Designated Spitter?
Date: July 03, 2020 03:03PM
I did just read that the Sox are using luxury box suites to change in rather than the clubhouse, so I guess they can chill with distance.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 03, 2020 03:21PM
Dennis S
RgrF

How about a Designated Spitter?

smiley-laughing001

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: July 03, 2020 05:03PM
The last I looked, baseball was planning to introduce the designated hitter to all games, signifying a tragic step down in the history of the game. It takes out a whole level of strategy and, in addition, takes away the advantage of a "good hitting pitcher." I remember one time in the bottom of the ninth, they sent up Don Drysdale as the pinch hitter. He actually connected with a long fly ball that sadly failed to go over the fence. There were a lot of complete games in the old days, even though there wasn't a DH.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 03, 2020 05:37PM
Ca Bob
The last I looked, baseball was planning to introduce the designated hitter to all games, signifying a tragic step down in the history of the game. It takes out a whole level of strategy and, in addition, takes away the advantage of a "good hitting pitcher." I remember one time in the bottom of the ninth, they sent up Don Drysdale as the pinch hitter. He actually connected with a long fly ball that sadly failed to go over the fence. There were a lot of complete games in the old days, even though there wasn't a DH.

They're also introducing a new rule where if there are extra innings, a base runner is automatically placed on second at the start of each team's half inning.

This sounds like little league to me. I'm surprised they haven't decided to go with a aluminum bats as well.
Posted by: raz
Date: July 03, 2020 06:58PM
They could save money on expensive pitchers by putting the ball on some sort of Tee-shaped device at home plate.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 03, 2020 08:56PM
Ca Bob

And I've seen home runs hit and strike outs during intentional walks. Not anymore.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 214
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018