advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
US Mail informed delivery service
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 03, 2020 06:16AM
This may be old news but I just discovered it a few weeks ago. The Post Office now offers a free service called informed delivery. Each morning you will receive an email with scans of the first-class mail you will receive that day along with notification of any packages. It does not tell you about any junk or bulk mail that may be destined for a garbage can near you.

I don't get a great deal of mail anymore, so this is nice to let me know if the walk to mailbox is really needed. It isn't perfect, but I get alerted to at least 90% of the real mail coming to my address.

You have to sign up for the service. If you are interested, here is the link:

[informeddelivery.usps.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: US Mail informed delivery service
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 03, 2020 06:45AM
It’s terrific.

My family can lose mail from the box to the house, so it helps me know when to look for something... true story.
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 03, 2020 07:44AM
We have used it for a while now. I think it is really neat.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Harooneneutics
Date: July 03, 2020 07:56AM
I like this service.

One quirk I didn't like about it: for a few years, I lived at addresses where it didn't work due to all mail going to a central location and then being distributed by staff to boxes. No big deal.

However, when I logged back into the USPS site to print a label, Informed Delivery was still showing me the mail sent to my former home address -- but addressed to the new residents. I definitely had updated my address using the USPS "change of address" service but apparently hadn't updated it in my USPS.com account. The issue was resolved once I updated my address at USPS.com.

I guess it's a non-issue if you're staying in one place. But I didn't like that Informed Delivery was showing me someone else's mail simply because of an (in)action that was totally out of the control of those new residents.
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 03, 2020 07:59AM
Yep, it's kind of nice to know what to expect in the mailbox. On the other hand it's a little disconcerting to see an image in the morning, but not see the item in the mailbox later. Although i think that's happened only once or twice over the years. And it's usually in the next day's mail.
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 03, 2020 08:11AM
wurm
Yep, it's kind of nice to know what to expect in the mailbox. On the other hand it's a little disconcerting to see an image in the morning, but not see the item in the mailbox later. Although i think that's happened only once or twice over the years. And it's usually in the next day's mail.

We have also had this happen.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 03, 2020 08:14AM
Lately we have been away from home for 4+ months consecutively a year and a neighbor picks up our mail. We love the informed delivery service! I can ask our neighbor to open the mail that needs to be addressed right away. That doesn’t need to be done often though, this year it didn’t happen at all and last year it happened twice (an IRS letter and a new debit card for our daughter when our bank was hacked). It is the best thing for handling mail since Automated Clearing House (ACH) payments came into existence.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 03, 2020 08:26AM
It took a while to get it working for me -- all my mail goes to my PO Box and it was tagged as a business POB, which doesn't allow for Informed Delivery. Once I got that fixed, smooth sailing since.

I find it invaluable, as it saves me several trips to the PO when all that's there is junk mail or a few bills.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 03, 2020 08:32AM
My local post office recommended it to me after my identity theft incident back in January (which feels like it was 20 years ago right now). Very useful.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 03, 2020 09:41AM
....knowledge is.....power......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 03, 2020 10:55AM
Ombligo
This may be old news but I just discovered it a few weeks ago. The Post Office now offers a free service called informed delivery. Each morning you will receive an email with scans of the first-class mail you will receive that day along with notification of any packages. It does not tell you about any junk or bulk mail that may be destined for a garbage can near you.

I don't get a great deal of mail anymore, so this is nice to let me know if the walk to mailbox is really needed. It isn't perfect, but I get alerted to at least 90% of the real mail coming to my address.

You have to sign up for the service. If you are interested, here is the link:

[informeddelivery.usps.com]

I've used it now for a couple of years. It catches most of the mail and about 80% of the packages. I have to chuckle at the disclaimer at the bottom: "We might have missed some,"

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 03, 2020 11:08AM
I started using it a few weeks ago for my mother's mail. I pay all of her bills and had been traveling to NY once a month to help her out, but I'm now grounded. It's very helpful to see the incoming mail so that I can call and have her open and read things to me.

I have found that there is some mail that has never been delivered, but they have all been advertisements.
Posted by: polychrome
Date: July 03, 2020 12:49PM
I've been waiting a long time for this to be available for my address.
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: July 03, 2020 04:31PM
Yup, pretty cool service

Bryan
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 03, 2020 07:54PM
I already had a USPS account but not that service, thanks.
Date: July 03, 2020 07:56PM
....isn't this just being a peeping tom.....on your own mail......???

Posted by: WHiiP
Date: July 04, 2020 07:07AM
I just signed up. Thanks , Ombligo!

Will I get an email, or do I need to visit the site each day?

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 04, 2020 09:46AM
WHiiP

A daily email with the images of mail expected around that day. Website lets you look back at individual days that week.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 05, 2020 12:52AM
WHiiP

You get an email with scans of the letter early in the morning. It doesn't show newspapers or magazines.
Date: July 05, 2020 09:37AM
......it also doesn't show one's unmentionables........

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 154
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020