advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Boeing to pull the plug on its 747 jumbo jet
Posted by: DP
Date: July 03, 2020 07:03AM
Honestly, I thought they had stopped building them years ago!

Boeing Co (BA.N) is pulling the plug on its 747 jumbo jet, Bloomberg News reported on Thursday.

The 747 democratized global air travel in the 1970s but fell behind modern twin-engine passenger jets.

The last 747-8 will roll out of a Seattle area factory in about two years, according to the Bloomberg report.

“At a build rate of 0.5 airplanes per month, the 747-8 program has more than two years of production ahead of it in order to fulfill our current customer commitments,” a Boeing spokesman told Reuters.

[www.reuters.com]

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Boeing to pull the plug on its 747 jumbo jet
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 03, 2020 08:03AM
From Bloomberg:

“The Chicago-based company has lost about $40 million for each 747 since 2016, when it slowed production to a trickle, making just six jets a year, Jefferies analyst Sheila Kahyaoglu estimated. All told, Boeing has recorded $4.2 billion in accounting charges for the 747-8, which has been kept alive as a freighter. The 747 notched its last order as a passenger jet in 2017 -- for Air Force One.”

>>>

“But the coronavirus pandemic is hastening the end of the behemoths as people movers. With travel not expected to fully recover until mid-decade, airlines are culling aging jetliners and four-engine jumbos from fleets to limit spending. About 91% of 747s and 97% of A380s are parked, Credit Suisse estimated last month.”

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 03, 2020 01:39PM
I thought they were only building them for the US Government ie Airforce One
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 03, 2020 03:32PM
They still had orders for the 747-8 in cargo configuration. The ones being built for replacing the current presidential transports are the last passenger configurations under construction.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 03, 2020 10:55PM
They're making more profits with the KC-135 & KC-46 tankers and Chinook &
Apache helicopters.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2020 10:58PM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: July 03, 2020 11:29PM
It's been known for a few years now, that production of the passenger version of the 747 would be shutting down (I assume the cargo version will continue?), exactly when was the only question.

I sometimes think this latest version of the all passenger 747 (747-8i) was only created to spite Airbus by preventing the latter from breaking even on the A380 (think Boeing already knew the super jumbos were doomed). Probably though, companies such as Boeing and Airbus aren't that emotional with their business decisions, and the 747-8i was just a hedge against the possibility that Boeing was wrong about super jumbos. I'm sure though, unlike Airbus, Boeing recouped its development costs on the 747-8i (since it was just a derivative design) and that the 747-8i program as a whole was profitable.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 04, 2020 01:34PM
I've wondered why air cargo carriers use versions of passenger planes rather than dedicated designs like the C-17 or C-5. The dedicated designs are lower to the ground allowing for roll-on/roll-off. It always seemed like it could do for airline cargo what shipping containers did for cargo ships.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2020 01:35PM by Ombligo.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 04, 2020 01:52PM
Ombligo
I've wondered why air cargo carriers use versions of passenger planes rather than dedicated designs like the C-17 or C-5. The dedicated designs are lower to the ground allowing for roll-on/roll-off. It always seemed like it could do for airline cargo what shipping containers did for cargo ships.

You still need to use a "K Loader" when unloading 463L pallets from a military aircraft.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: July 04, 2020 02:04PM
freeradical
Ombligo

You still need to use a "K Loader" when unloading 463L pallets from a military aircraft.

Ultimately it is very very very expensive to develop an all new airplane design and certify it. It would be too cost prohibitive to develop a strict cargo airplane for the commercial market. Furthermore because cargo airlines typically fly their planes much less frequently than commercial passenger airlines, it further incentivizes the cargo outfits to buy passenger airliners that have reached near the end of their useful life, and still getting several years more out of it after making any necessary modifications.
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 04, 2020 02:19PM
Send 'em all to California. We will certainly need them later this summer…

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 263
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018