advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Crippled Iphone
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 03, 2020 12:00PM
I’m running the latest iOS version 13.5.1. Last night it updated an app or something and it just completely killed my phone. It’s all but useless mail won’t download, it’s very warm, the battery is sucked down at a horrific pace. Not sure what’s going on. I’ve rebooted multiple times, download3d all available app updates, cleared several gigs of storage from old podcasts and such...still super sluggish and almost useless. It was literally like a switch was flipped on my phone.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Crippled Iphone
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 03, 2020 12:03PM
Force restart?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: July 03, 2020 12:14PM
rjmacs
Force restart?

Trying that now. Should have mention it’s iPhone 7.

Date: July 03, 2020 12:22PM
No bueno.

Posted by: jdc
Date: July 03, 2020 12:32PM
Sounds awful. Nuke and pave?

If you have an iCloud backup, its incredibly easy.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: July 03, 2020 12:50PM
Erase/offload the updated app.
If things get better, quarantine the app and share the name... inquiring minds...
Erase network settings?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2020 12:51PM by rich in distress.
Date: July 03, 2020 12:54PM
I would remove the offending app but there’s no way to know which one it is.

Posted by: space-time
Date: July 03, 2020 01:25PM
Force restart a few more times.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 03, 2020 01:49PM
Check Battery Health.

An unexpected shutdown will enable “peak performance” which is Apple speak for “cripple your iPhone”. Every time I get this my 6s goes completely useless. I disable it.
Date: July 03, 2020 02:17PM
Ok, something is up with email. It won’t open emails and it won’t delete them.

Posted by: GGD
Date: July 03, 2020 03:12PM
Have you tried forcing Mail (and all your other running apps) to close so that it relaunches rather that resumes from it's last screen.

[support.apple.com]
Date: July 03, 2020 03:38PM
GGD
Have you tried forcing Mail (and all your other running apps) to close so that it relaunches rather that resumes from it's last screen.

[support.apple.com]

Yep. The mail app opens but it won’t actually display the emails. It’s like it isn’t actually connected to the mail servers or the internet connection is saturated. Other devices on my network are fine though.

Posted by: GGD
Date: July 03, 2020 04:00PM
ztirffritz
GGD

[support.apple.com]

Yep. The mail app opens but it won’t actually display the emails. It’s like it isn’t actually connected to the mail servers or the internet connection is saturated. Other devices on my network are fine though.

Have you checked your mailbox another way, is there some incoming message with a HUGE attachment that it might be trying to download and process?
Date: July 03, 2020 04:10PM
Yep. It all works fine from my iPad.

GGD
ztirffritz
GGD

[support.apple.com]

Have you checked your mailbox another way, is there some incoming message with a HUGE attachment that it might be trying to download and process?

Posted by: Spiff
Date: July 03, 2020 04:19PM
Remove all apps that can be removed, then force shut down, let it sit overnight plugged in, restart in the morning.

can also do a factory reset, which probably would be better.

Factory-reset your iPhone
To reset your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > General > Reset and then select Erase All Content and Settings.
If you've got an iCloud backup set up, iOS will ask if you'd like to update it, so you don't lose unsaved data.
Date: July 03, 2020 05:03PM
cbelt3
Check Battery Health.

An unexpected shutdown will enable “peak performance” which is Apple speak for “cripple your iPhone”. Every time I get this my 6s goes completely useless. I disable it.

How does it behave if you use it while plugged in, is it still slow when the battery is weak?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 03, 2020 06:38PM
Following

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: July 03, 2020 07:23PM
I had to put it in airplane mode to get it to charge. It was burning the battery faster than it could charge.
space-time
cbelt3
Check Battery Health.

How does it behave if you use it while plugged in, is it still slow when the battery is weak?

Posted by: rich in distress
Date: July 03, 2020 08:06PM
ztirffritz
I had to put it in airplane mode to get it to charge. It was burning the battery faster than it could charge.

Good ideas here, but this you just said makes me think again about a rouge app that was updated yesterday.
You could go to the App Store, click on the circle that is your account info, top right, and navigate to recently updated apps.
The list includes info on last update (yesterday).
Nuke ‘em all... from space smiley-sw018
Good luck!
Date: July 03, 2020 08:47PM
ztirffritz
space-time
cbelt3
Check Battery Health.

interesting. So the App that was using the battery needed some Cell, WiFi or Bluetooth signal. Can you turn it on one at a time to see what happens? you can turn on WiFi while in Airplane mode. If that works fine, then turn on Bluetooth, and finally the Cell network. It could be the phone keeps searching for cell signal. can you try another SIM?
Date: July 03, 2020 08:50PM
Also this could be a hardware failure. It seems strange that iOS would allow an App to use so much power that it would drain the battery while plugged in.

On the other hand, if that does not happen in Airplane mode, seems to exclude hardware failure... unless that failure is a short in one of the radios (Cell, WiFi, BT).

This is very strange.

Oh, iOS should be able to tell you which App is using the battery, right?
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 03, 2020 09:55PM
My iPhone 7 continues to get slower and slower even after the recent MB and battery replacement under an Apple repair program. Thinking about getting an SE.

Grateful11
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 03, 2020 11:39PM
Settings > Battery should tell you which app is the culprit.

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: July 05, 2020 01:02AM
AllGold
Settings > Battery should tell you which app is the culprit.

agree smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 243
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018