advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Window AC question
Posted by: Don C
Date: July 03, 2020 09:00PM
We have only window air conditioners in this old pre-1900 house. They are not in every room, just the ones we use the most. Right now, I tend to leave them off until I go into a room, thinking that there is no reason to pay for AC if I am not in the room.

However, that means that the rooms get warm during the day and the window unit has to undo all that heat buildup so maybe it undoes any savings from not running all the time.

Which is more energy efficient? Letting the window units run pretty much all day and keeping up with the heat or only turning them on when I am in the room?

A couple of rooms on the west side of the house easily get into the mid 80's if not cooled. With ceiling fans, I am OK with rooms at 80, but mid to upper 80's is just uncomfortable. (FWIW: we do pull shades to keep sunlight out as much as possible. The heat is coming through the thick brick walls.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Window AC question
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 03, 2020 09:04PM
I would turn it on 30 min or so before you know you plan to use that room.
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 03, 2020 09:05PM
How old are they? No built in thermostats? so you can set at say 78 and just let them cycle when needed?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 03, 2020 10:06PM
jdc
How old are they? No built in thermostats? so you can set at say 78 and just let them cycle when needed?

Exactly.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Carm
Date: July 03, 2020 10:19PM
jdc
This will save time cooling a warm room vs maintain at a lower temp. Raise temp to 80 when you’re gone and lower it to 78 before you get there if possible. The Ecobees pretty much do this with house ACs. (I have two of them.)
Date: July 03, 2020 11:49PM
They do have thermostats and "economy" mode which is supposed to cycle them as needed. I have found that the temperature of the room and the setting are at best remotely connected. That said, I certainly can set it at whatever temperature results in a comfortable room temperature.

In the master bedroom, I turn it on about an hour before bedtime. The heat load on the house is less after sundown (although bricks do hold their heat well into the night). I then turn it off and run the ceiling fan because the cycling of the ac to check the room temperature wakes me up.

The post was just wondering if there is a most efficient way to run window units.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 03, 2020 11:52PM
.....boiling water freezes faster than cool water.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 04, 2020 12:20AM
Don C
The post was just wondering if there is a most efficient way to run window units.

aaaah, gotcha.

I know little of how they work, but man that seems counterintuitive.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 04, 2020 12:37AM
jdc
Don C

aaaah, gotcha.

I know little of how they work, but man that seems counterintuitive.

This might require experimentation with different methods and using a Kill-a-watt to measure power consumption. Of course even that may be difficult to measure accurately since you need to duplicate the same weather conditions on each attempt.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: July 04, 2020 09:56AM
Hosing off the brick walls with a garden hose at dusk can reduce their temperature quickly so they don't radiate their heat. I have done this when our AC conked out over a weekend. Made the rooms tolerable at night.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 04, 2020 10:23AM
Don,

An AC has to work harder to cool an already hot room. If you have ACs with an energy save mode (sometimes called economy mode or money saver mode) and a built-in timing function, use them. Here is what I do under normal circumstances during the day for when I'm not home:

1. Set the AC to preferred temperature.
2. Set the AC into economode.
3. Set the timer to turn the AC on after X amount of hours. If I leave at 7:00am, I I set the time for 7 or 8 hours.

The AC turns itself on and starts to cool the room. It is comfortable by the time I come home from work.

Once I'm home, I adjust the temperature and, if necessary, change the mode from economode to cool mode.

'course, due to the pandemic, our ACs are running most of the day. We turn our main AC off at night since we don't need to keep the living room, kitchen and foyer cool when we're sleeping.

Note, better ACs will retain the mode setting when it turns on automatically via a built-in timer. LG and Friederich come to mind. Other brands, like Fridgidaire, automatically change the mode from whatever you set it for to cool. Annoying. It's one of the reasons I won't buy a Fridgidaire AC these days.

Humidity is a huge problem during the summer months here in NY. Although the air conditioners are properly sized for the space and location in the home and cool our apartment well, they aren't enough by themselves for reducing the humidity to a comfortable level. That's where the dehumidifier comes into play. I have to use a dehumidifier if I want to maintain a humidity of about 45% to 50%, which makes a cool room wonderfully comfortable.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2020 10:28AM by Robert M.
Date: July 04, 2020 12:52PM
Humidity can be an issue. The Haier in my office has been known to build up a block of ice so air could barely move through the system. I turned it on fan and let the ice melt.

Had not thought about hosing down the wall at night. Interesting idea.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 76
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018