advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Thoughts on a manual sump pump with old school red cast iron well pump
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 04, 2020 08:19PM
This house has had a basement leak due to a ditch alongside the cinder block wall under the house, due to the design being winged. I don't wan a conventional electric sump pump due to the cost and complexity and maintenance. The water would have to be pumped 10-15 feet vertically and then run horizontally about 8-15 feet and pumped out into the back yard where it would run downhill away from the house. Would it need to be primed every time it was pumped or would you just pump air until the water reached the pump? Is there a simple way to minimize sand getting into the hose?

This doesn't need to be nice looking or elegant - I just want to get the water out when needed. It had a French drain when I was built in 1973, but I don't want to consider that because of the cost and dificulty. I've already banked dirt up against the house and angled it away. I suspect a high water table is a big cause of the trouble.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2020 08:21PM by Dennis S.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Thoughts on a manual sump pump with old school red cast iron well pump
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 04, 2020 08:28PM
Will you be there and able to pump when the water comes up ?

Electric sump pumps are not very hard, IMHO. A 120 V outlet, PVC pipe. A one way valve. A hole in the wall to run the pipe through.
Date: July 04, 2020 08:34PM
I'm here most of the time. The basement is for storage so I don't have to be Johnny-on-the-spot. I'll talk to my plumber about an electric one. Luckily, he's my nephew's best friend so so far, plumbing costs have been reasonable.
Posted by: Cary
Date: July 04, 2020 09:44PM
I would either look at an electric pump, or you can get one that works completely off of municipal water pressure - no electricity.
Posted by: August West
Date: July 05, 2020 09:36AM

Electric sump pumps are not very hard, IMHO. A 120 V outlet, PVC pipe. A one way valve. A hole in the wall to run the pipe through.

+1

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 05, 2020 09:53AM
I forgot to consider if a sump already exists. If it does NOT then yeah, that’s complicated. Most sump pump homes have the footer drains emptying into the sump. Your best bet may be to get your French drains cleaned out.
Date: July 05, 2020 11:09AM
cbelt3
I forgot to consider if a sump already exists. If it does NOT then yeah, that’s complicated. Most sump pump homes have the footer drains emptying into the sump. Your best bet may be to get your French drains cleaned out.

I am not messing with the French drains.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: July 05, 2020 11:55AM
Cary
I would either look at an electric pump, or you can get one that works completely off of municipal water pressure - no electricity.

My community forbids these for some reason; it may have something to do with the possibility of cross contamination of the water supply.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 05, 2020 03:07PM
Ammo
Cary

My community forbids these for some reason; it may have something to do with the possibility of cross contamination of the water supply.

Usually banned for excessive use of water. Depending on how high you are needing to take the water being removed, something like several gallons from the municipal water supply for every gallon removed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 160
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018