advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best video conferencing tool that will record in HD?
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: July 05, 2020 06:03PM
I have the pro version of Zoom. It's supposed to do this. For whatever reason the recordings are in low res. I've contacted them and they haven't been responsive.

Google's new video chat is supposed to do this, but I don't see the option to record. It's supposed to be free through September, but I can't get any response to them as to why I don't see the option.

I need something that will allow me to do a video chat with someone, and record it, at least in 720p. It shouldn't require them to have an account. Installing an app is fine. At most the meetings will be an hour long. It needs to work on Mac for me, and other platforms for other people.

I'll be editing the recordings, so the format needs to be something I can download and convert.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best video conferencing tool that will record in HD?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 05, 2020 06:56PM
Looks like Zoom converts recorded video to mp4 when meeting ends... maybe settings in video converter?

Not sure where to look.
==
Date: July 05, 2020 07:22PM
OK, did a about a two minute recording during spousal unit's weekly Zoomathon w/ the family....

25MB file in.... (drum roll.....)

720p (for the peeps that have decent webcams).

I'm guessing 720i for peeps w/ sucky webcams that get upscaled.
==
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 05, 2020 07:47PM
M A V I C, it's funny you brought this up now. For an online course that I'll be teaching in the Fall, I have to do a short self-introduction and of course I'd like to record it with the best video quality possible (I can always downsize later). I have a Logitech 922S, which is supposed to be able to do this with Zoom, so I can let you know what happens.

As an aside, does anyone know how to do picture-in-picture with these sorts of videos? Meaning, rather than screen share, I want myself in the foreground and a second window either top left or top right, or the converse. If I can't do that with Zoom, I'm fine with using something else and uploading it, but of course that's asynchronous.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: July 05, 2020 11:23PM
Buzz
OK, did a about a two minute recording during spousal unit's weekly Zoomathon w/ the family....

25MB file in.... (drum roll.....)

720p (for the peeps that have decent webcams).

I'm guessing 720i for peeps w/ sucky webcams that get upscaled.
==

Is that for the dual screen, or the presenter view? I can have both screens in one HD clip, but the individual presenter view is low res.

Date: July 05, 2020 11:24PM
Buzz
Looks like Zoom converts recorded video to mp4 when meeting ends... maybe settings in video converter?

Not sure where to look.
==

The issue with Zoom is that, even though I have all the settings set to HD, it records in SD.

Date: July 06, 2020 02:48AM
M A V I C
Buzz

Not sure where to look.
==

The issue with Zoom is that, even though I have all the settings set to HD, it records in SD.

Are you recording to disk or to cloud? I get the feeling if you go to cloud, it runs some codec that you may not like. When I tested to local disc, swapping back and forth between views, it was weird; when spousal unit was speaking w/ HD cam, she came in nice and clear... but there were slight visible delays in the camera's auto focus keeping up w/ her. When her sister was front and center via an old, low rez iMac, the definition difference was palpable.

I'll have to try again w/ just 2 or 3 peeps Zoomin', all w/ HD cams going, and see what the results look like....

Could not find/willfully avoided 1080p options, but everything I recall reading about Zoom was based on 720p, so I set up all our virtual backgrounds as 720p. Since I knew the peeps we were dealing with, I didn't really explore/follow any 1080p links, since I'm tech support by default. We can play PM tag and maybe I can get you a copy of the 720p test video.
==
Date: July 07, 2020 11:08AM
Buzz
M A V I C
Buzz

Not sure where to look.
==

Are you recording to disk or to cloud? I get the feeling if you go to cloud, it runs some codec that you may not like. When I tested to local disc, swapping back and forth between views, it was weird; when spousal unit was speaking w/ HD cam, she came in nice and clear... but there were slight visible delays in the camera's auto focus keeping up w/ her. When her sister was front and center via an old, low rez iMac, the definition difference was palpable.

I'll have to try again w/ just 2 or 3 peeps Zoomin', all w/ HD cams going, and see what the results look like....

Could not find/willfully avoided 1080p options, but everything I recall reading about Zoom was based on 720p, so I set up all our virtual backgrounds as 720p. Since I knew the peeps we were dealing with, I didn't really explore/follow any 1080p links, since I'm tech support by default. We can play PM tag and maybe I can get you a copy of the 720p test video.
==

I've tried recording to both the cloud and locally. When you look at the video in QT, what resolution does it say it is? I'll PM you. Thanks for helping.

Posted by: reezekeys
Date: July 23, 2020 10:18AM
I came to the forum to ask about this same issue but saw this thread so I'll chime in here. I'm recording the Zoom stream locally, not their cloud.

Last night on a zoom with my wife - we're both on free accounts, both using our MacBook Pro webcams (which I believe are 720p). Settings on both machines' Zoom prefs were:

Settings-->Video--> 16:9 & Enable HD – both CHECKED
Settings-->Recording-->Record a separate audio file for each participant, Optimize for 3rd party video editor, Record video during screen sharing – ALL CHECKED

We both recorded, and both our resulting videos were at the default 640x360 resolution. The night before I did the exact same thing with my daughter, the video was 1440x900 - my screen resolution! The image may have been upscaled from 640x360 as it's not razor-sharp but I'm not sure - the webcam on my late-2013 MBP isn't exactly known for its quality.

If anyone knows why this happened, or better yet how to reliably record a local Zoom session at 720p, I'm all eyes. I'm pretty sure that free accounts can do this. You do need a Pro account and some communication with Zoom folks to do 1080p recording, but 720p should be doable. TIA for any help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2020 10:19AM by reezekeys.
Posted by: reezekeys
Date: July 23, 2020 01:33PM
My wife just did a zoom with someone. It came out at 640x360. But something else looked wrong. She pinned the other participant's video so this other person was always on the screen. This from Zoom's website (italics and emphasis mine):

"Pin video allows you to disable active speaker view and only view a specific speaker. It will also only record the pinned video if you are recording locally (to your computer)."

Well, during the session the other participant was indeed "pinned" as far as my wife could see, however the video was not! You can see the view switch between them as each takes turns talking. Like I said, this is on the video only - during the actual zoom session the other participant remained "pinned" on the screen at all times. What is going on here - did Zoom remove or change its feature set?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 235
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018