Re: Video tour of Rickenbacker guitar factory
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 06, 2020 06:30PM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: August West
Date: July 06, 2020 06:33PM
thumbs up

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: JoeM
Date: July 06, 2020 07:10PM
That was great! Thanks for posting, Dennis. I actually pulled my 1973 Rickenbacker 360-12 out of the closet last week, where it sat for ages, and put new strings on it. Not the easiest guitar to play for me due the the tight string spacing but it sure sounds awesome.

JoeM
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 06, 2020 08:01PM
I have a 360-6-string that looks just like that. It's a 1964 or '65 that I bought in 1966 along with a Vox amp. It needs the neck and fingerboard polished because they are sticky.

I had a matching 4001 bass that was stolen in Nashville.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2020 08:14PM by Dennis S.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 06, 2020 08:12PM
Are they still made like that in the US?

Now I'm singing. Turn, turn, turn!
Date: July 06, 2020 08:15PM
mrbigstuff
Are they still made like that in the US?

Now I'm singing. Turn, turn, turn!

Yes. The video says they make the pots and machines in the US. But the video is a few years old.
Date: July 06, 2020 08:25PM
Dennis S
I have a 360-6-string that looks just like that. It's a 1964 or '65 that I bought in 1966 along with a Vox amp. It needs the neck and fingerboard polished because they are sticky.

I had a matching 4001 bass that was stolen in Nashville.

That 360-6 must be nice. It doesn’t take much to get them comfortable to play again if there are no major Issues. A good cleaning, new strings and some talc usually does it. I bought my 360-12 for $450 back in 78 at We Buy Guitars on 48th St in NYC. It didn’t have a hard shell case, they gave me a cheap chipboard case to take it in. I bought a Rick case used for it a few years ago on eBay and really Am just getting around to using it now.

Do you still have the Vox? And what model was it?

JoeM
Date: July 06, 2020 08:35PM
I sold the Vox for some money to help pay for a '64 Super Reverb. I'm pretty sure the Vox had one speaker and it had a stand. The Rickenbacker was $365 in 1966.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 06, 2020 09:56PM
We need some tracks from you folks
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 06, 2020 11:57PM
It's been many decades since I visted the factory and met John Hall.
They have a massive amount of history there.

My 1996 Ruby Red (built to order) 360/12 w/ vintage case.

(destined for the grandchildren to fight over old fogey smiley )

Best of my knowledge, they're still 100% US made.
" * Please note that our corporate office is a manufacturing facility only. We do not have a showroom or retail counter, and we do not offer factory tours."

Go to [www.rickenbacker.com] and click on the 'Factory' tab.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2020 12:05AM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: July 07, 2020 07:14AM
Oh boy!... Bookmark!!
Thanks!!!
Date: July 07, 2020 08:45AM
Dennis S
I sold the Vox for some money to help pay for a '64 Super Reverb. I'm pretty sure the Vox had one speaker and it had a stand. The Rickenbacker was $365 in 1966.

Ah, good decision! I had a 67 Super Reverb I bought on 48th St back then for $275. I toured with that amp throughout the 70s and kick myself for selling it in the early 80s for $400. because I was driving a Beetle and couldn’t fit it in the car. smiley-laughing001

JoeM
Date: July 07, 2020 08:51AM
mrbigstuff
We need some tracks from you folks

My stuff lives on YouTube here:
[www.youtube.com]

Right now it’s old recordings on tapes and cassettes that I’ve been digging up and polishing a bit but I’m recording some new stuff now and I’ll be adding them as I finish.

JoeM
Date: July 07, 2020 08:53AM
MrNoBody
It's been many decades since I visted the factory and met John Hall.
They have a massive amount of history there.

My 1996 Ruby Red (built to order) 360/12 w/ vintage case.

(destined for the grandchildren to fight over old fogey smiley )

Best of my knowledge, they're still 100% US made.
" * Please note that our corporate office is a manufacturing facility only. We do not have a showroom or retail counter, and we do not offer factory tours."

Go to [www.rickenbacker.com] and click on the 'Factory' tab.

Boy that looks really nice! I see it has high output pups instead of the toasters. I think the newer ones play better than the older ones.

JoeM
Date: July 07, 2020 09:05AM
JoeM
Dennis S

Ah, good decision! I had a 67 Super Reverb I bought on 48th St back then for $275. I toured with that amp throughout the 70s and kick myself for selling it in the early 80s for $400. because I was driving a Beetle and couldn’t fit it in the car. smiley-laughing001

I used to carry an upright bass in my VW Beetle.
Posted by: flightdelayedagain
Date: July 07, 2020 09:14AM
Thanks for posting Dennis!
I still have my 1974 - 4001 - Jetglo Bass that I bought new for $400.00. Since retired, I've been playing it more.
Date: July 07, 2020 01:52PM
Dennis S
JoeM
Dennis S

I used to carry an upright bass in my VW Beetle.

I could see that happening. I couldn't get the Super past the seat. Plus I have to admit, I was getting tired of the weight.

JoeM
Date: July 07, 2020 02:09PM
I used to carry a Super and Twin with JBLs in the same VW (not with the bass). Man, that Twin was heavy.
Date: July 07, 2020 03:17PM
Dennis S
I used to carry a Super and Twin with JBLs in the same VW (not with the bass). Man, that Twin was heavy.

How the heck did you fit the Super in? Yeah the Super was heavy, the Twin was ridiculous.

JoeM
Date: July 07, 2020 03:25PM
JoeM
Dennis S

How the heck did you fit the Super in? Yeah the Super was heavy, the Twin was ridiculous.

I don't remember. I may have had the back seat out.
Posted by: rz
Date: July 08, 2020 10:17AM
I bought a 360/12 (Midnight Blue) from someone off CL over the Xmas holiday. Really wish I had held out for a 360/6... the neck is really narrow for 12 strings. I've only played it once since I got it... I should dig it out and try again.
Date: July 08, 2020 10:49AM
If I bought another guitar or bass, I would have a hard time deciding on the color.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 08, 2020 10:54AM
rz
I bought a 360/12 (Midnight Blue) from someone off CL over the Xmas holiday. Really wish I had held out for a 360/6... the neck is really narrow for 12 strings. I've only played it once since I got it... I should dig it out and try again.

You can always string it as a six string. Just have to adjust for the wider spacing.
YouTube demo

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Date: July 08, 2020 01:31PM
rz

I am having all kinds of problems playing cleanly due to arthritis in my left thumb and the tight spacing. I wind up choking the octave string on the D and G due to the natural bending of some finger positions. I found that filing down my left hand finger nails on the index, middle and ring fingers allows me to get those fingers more perpendicular to the strings and cleans things up a bit but I can see I'm going to have to spend quite a bit of time practicing if I want to really be able to play this thing. Maybe that might help you.

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 171
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020