advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
need microphone recommendation
Posted by: davemchine
Date: July 07, 2020 01:30PM
I do a fair amount of zoom meetings and I think it's time to get an external microphone for use with my iPad but I know nothing about how this works. My only criteria would be that it is decent for music and I would prefer a mute switch.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: need microphone recommendation
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 07, 2020 01:49PM
U want the microphone to play music?

or did u mean a speaker, or headphones...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: clay
Date: July 07, 2020 01:54PM
jdc
U want the microphone to play music?

or did u mean a speaker, or headphones...

probably meant "to record music"
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 07, 2020 02:08PM
i'm setting up to do a simple livestream of guitar/vocal in a few weeks and i've settled on using a Movo VXR 10. no mute switch though and you'll need an adaptor if your iPad doesn't have a headphone jack.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: roshi
Date: July 07, 2020 03:21PM
I have several microphones that plug into the lightning port of my iPhone or iPad. The Shure MV88 + seems the best, I like the sound and the free software is good.

About $150.

It really helps to have a foam cover over the mic or even a fuzzy wind filter.

A kit, with a holder, is $250.

I also have a Rode, and another one, that has a long cord. They all work well but the MV88 has a bit richer sound.

If you are willing to have an old style headphone jack or big huge jack, then you can plug into a mixer that plugs into your iphone or ipad. There are many many choices.

In spite of recording professionally for 20+ years I am a total noob, because all I care about is the content, and the technical details always fade into the background. When I go to a studio to record, the engineers have these intricate setups. I do a lot at home, using lightning plugin mics, and the sound is acceptable.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 07, 2020 03:26PM
btw, i just yesterday compared the Movo VXR to the Rode Micro. they are incredibly close to each other. for me the Movo won marginally on sound but majorily on price ($39) and the fact that it comes with one of the cables one needs to go into an smartphone or tablet. both the rode and movo come with a windscreen. also, the Rode is so popular it was actually out of stock when i wanted to order it. i would up doing my comparison with a Rode a friend lent me.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2020 03:28PM by graylocks.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 07, 2020 03:42PM
Have you tried EarPods, instead of the built-in mic?

If you want to record music portably, you may want to get a Zoom recorder, and just use the mics for video conferences. I know you can do that on a Mac, you should probably confirm for iPad.
Posted by: August West
Date: July 07, 2020 07:29PM
My go to recommendation for this sort of use is to get a refurb Apogee Mic, there is a 96/24 one.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: sekker
Date: July 08, 2020 07:15PM
Recent iPads have pretty awesome mics...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 294
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018