advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Took one for the team.. I ordered an iPhone SE (2020)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 07, 2020 01:58PM
The 6s battery is at 80% life and acting b0rked. The lightning port is harder and harder to clean. At least I get wireless charging and do not have to use annoying facial recognition. I guess I have to look for a case now. And a wireless charging car stand. I do have a lightning audio adapter.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Took one for the team.. I ordered an iPhone SE (2020)
Posted by: davester
Date: July 07, 2020 02:02PM
What's annoying about facial recognition? I think it's great on my Xs.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: July 07, 2020 02:03PM
davester
I like the fingerprint.. I can unlock my phone without looking at it. Good for car use.
Posted by: Z
Date: July 07, 2020 02:30PM
I've been happy with my 2020 SE - Congrats! Welcome to the dark side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2020 02:31PM by Z.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 07, 2020 02:40PM
cbelt3
davester
I like the fingerprint.. I can unlock my phone without looking at it. Good for car use.

Or for use with a mask.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 07, 2020 02:59PM
iLeader!

cbelt3
davester

You can do the same with Face ID, as long as the front camera can see your face.

I agree with davester, Face ID is pretty nice.

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: July 07, 2020 04:19PM
cbelt3
I ordered an iPhone SE (2020)

Good choice—it's a nice little phone.

…do not have to use annoying facial recognition.

I'm not sure why you find it annoying. It's super-fast and super-reliable.

I can unlock my phone without looking at it. Good for car use.

Wait…what!? Stop it. That's both dangerous and illegal in many jurisdictions. Use CarPlay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2020 04:21PM by Article Accelerator.
Date: July 07, 2020 07:08PM
AA— old cars no CarPlay. Phone is mounted on the top half of the dash so my eyes don’t leave the road.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 07, 2020 07:41PM
I like the fingerprint ID too. I also like having a area at the bottom of the screen to place my thumb to hold my iPhone, don't think I can do that without activating something with the more expensive models. Looking at getting a 128Gb SE soon, my iPhone 7 getting a bit long in the tooth.

Grateful11
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 07, 2020 09:51PM
We had a lot of trouble with our 6s' with fingerprint ID. It works great on the SE 2020's that we bought.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 07, 2020 10:32PM
cbelt3
davester

Car use? That makes no sense. Don't you have a car dash or windshield mount? It works perfectly well in my car.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: ArtP
Date: July 07, 2020 11:03PM
cbelt3
I guess I have to look for a case now.

I pulled the trigger on one also a month or so ago to replace an aging iPhone 5s

As far as a Case - most iPhone 8 cases fit perfectly but do not show the Apple logo through the hole in the rear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2020 11:05PM by ArtP.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 08, 2020 12:15AM
Article Accelerator
Wait…what!? Stop it. That's both dangerous and illegal in many jurisdictions. Use CarPlay.

Not all cars have CarPlay.

cbelt, I think you'll be quite happy. Let us know!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Sam3
Date: July 08, 2020 05:28AM
We switched my wife from Tracfone to my Verizon and got a SE(2020) in the process. She had the original SE and liked the small form factor, but she says she has no problems with this new, larger model. We were both thrilled at how easily the data migrated from the old phone to the new one. Hardly any interaction needed by the end-user. Apple really designed and implemented that well! That stood out to me as a truly "it just works" moment.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: fauch
Date: July 08, 2020 04:29PM
I would have waited and gotten an SE had I known they were coming out. I bit the bullet and bought an 11 in January... I also prefer the fingerprint to Face ID. And I like having a home button....
Posted by: kj
Date: July 08, 2020 07:59PM
I'm starting to think about replacing my 7. It's everything I need, except that the battery is fading fast. I would get the SE just because I don't want a bigger phone. It just barely fits in a lot of the places I put it (don't do it newton). Fingerprint id is fine. Only thing is if they came out with a unified back button on the buttonless phones, that might tempt me.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: July 08, 2020 09:29PM
Sam3
We were both thrilled at how easily the data migrated from the old phone to the new one. Hardly any interaction needed by the end-user. Apple really designed and implemented that well! That stood out to me as a truly "it just works" moment.

That impressed me also - pretty painless and MUCH better than expected.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018