advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Disney paid $75 million for Hamilton's limited streaming run. More $$$ possibilities?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 07, 2020 04:33PM
[www.indiewire.com]

The modern retelling of founding father Alexander Hamilton’s life is a full-blown cultural phenomenon, one that has rolled out like a well-planned military campaign. The target? The hearts and minds of America, and the world, as part of that thing every studio executive wants: hilariously lucrative branded IP.

And that’s why Disney, perhaps the most skillful tactician of milking cultural touchstones for profit, would pay such an enormous sum for the worldwide rights of a filmed version of the stage production. While the reported $75 million winning bid may have been the largest-ever price paid for a single film acquisition, Disney is not in the one-offs business; it signals a deal that could mean much more.

And like “Star Wars,” there’s theme park opportunities. Disneyland could extend the “Hamilton” franchise to its own Hall of Presidents, the animatronic exhibit at Liberty Square at the Magic Kingdom inside the Walt Disney World Resort, in Orlando, Fla.

Finally, there’s the full-fledged film adaptation of “Hamilton,” which is still up for grabs. That could be years down the line — long enough to build up a sense of nostalgia for the original musical. Fans will be able to get their “Hamilton” fix on Disney+ until then, once the filmed version is released there alongside other Disney hits like “Beauty and the Beast.” By the time a new version of “Hamilton” is produced and released, it could scratch a similar itch as the 2017 version “Beauty and the Beast,” a live-action version of the cartoon musical that grossed a record-breaking $1.2 billion worldwide — the kind of money only a Disney franchise can hope for.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Disney paid $75 million for Hamilton's limited streaming run. More $$$ possibilities?
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 07, 2020 04:46PM
Worth every penny.
Re: Disney paid $75 million for Hamilton's limited streaming run. More $$$ possibilities?
Posted by: d4
Date: July 07, 2020 05:14PM
I whole heartedly approve. Top notch live theatre should be more readily accessible to people who cannot afford hundreds of dollars for the privilege. Yes, there is the TKTS booth for "B" level shows that do not sell out. And some schools and colleges offer limited discount tickets. And Hamilton had a lottery system for an extremely slim chance. But jumping through hoops is not the same.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 08, 2020 02:48AM
So worldwide pandemics do shed some benefits?
Date: July 08, 2020 07:03AM
I hear great things about "Dear Evan Hansen" on Broadway. If Disney continues this practice, they'll have a long term subscriber in me. I mean, The Mandalorian is great and all, but we all need to broaden our horizons from time to time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2020 07:05AM by d4.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 08, 2020 12:39PM
d4
I hear great things about "Dear Evan Hansen" on Broadway. If Disney continues this practice, they'll have a long term subscriber in me. I mean, The Mandalorian is great and all, but we all need to broaden our horizons from time to time.

I saw "Dear Evan Hansen." It's a great thing.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 08, 2020 01:04PM
d4
I whole heartedly approve. Top notch live theatre should be more readily accessible to people who cannot afford hundreds of dollars for the privilege. Yes, there is the TKTS booth for "B" level shows that do not sell out. And some schools and colleges offer limited discount tickets. And Hamilton had a lottery system for an extremely slim chance. But jumping through hoops is not the same.

While I get what you're saying and don't disagree, the best part about going to the theater is.... going to the theater. In other words, enjoying a LIVE performance.

Whatever this is, it isn't that.

It is what it is.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 08, 2020 01:08PM
N-OS X-tasy!
d4

While I get what you're saying and don't disagree, the best part about going to the theater is.... going to the theater. In other words, enjoying a LIVE performance.

Yes. It's good that it's on TV but going to see the show is so much better. Most great plays aren't going to be pop hits.
Date: July 08, 2020 04:00PM
N-OS X-tasy!
d4

I completely agree. Nothing beats Broadway live theatre if you can afford good seats. The seats I'm in are usually all the way in the back orchestra, on the sides or the second level mezzanine. I literally bring a pair of binoculars to see the actors' faces. This TV version is way way way better than nothing. With great closeups of the action on stage. I never saw Hamilton with the original cast because I couldn't afford it. I'm thankful it was filmed. And available for someone like me.

Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 09, 2020 08:25AM
+1
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 76
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018