advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
2 year old Roku, and no more HBO Go after July 31st?
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 09, 2020 07:25AM
purchased on Black Friday 2018:

Roku Ultra | HD/4K/HDR Streaming Media Player. Now Includes Premium JBL Headphones. (2018)

[www.amazon.com]

About says Model 4660X -Roku Ultra

I see a notice in HBO GO app: "HBO GO will not longer be available on this device starting July 31, 2020"

Their webpage suggests that model 2013 and newer should work.

[help.hbogo.com]

I don't understand why they display that message in the App.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 2 year old Roku, and no more HBO Go after July 31st?
Date: July 09, 2020 07:32AM
OK, I think I figured it out. They are changing the App to HBO Max

[help.hbogo.com]-
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 09, 2020 07:38AM
.....they are moving to HBO Max app......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: July 09, 2020 07:38AM
and there is no HBO Max App for Roku... seems like workaround is to use ATT TV App, but I am not sure if I can stream older shows or if I am limited to watching "live" HBO

What a cluster ****
Date: July 09, 2020 07:54AM
.....it will get worse.....AT&T owns HBO now......they mess things up.....

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 09, 2020 08:37AM
The iOS rollout for HBOmax was a similar cluster. the HBO app stopped working and forced the upgrade to the HBOmax app - but that didn't work if you were getting your service via Roku. I finally got around it by just going to the HBO website (which sucks of course).

I was hoping that would have been enough to get the Mrs. to let me drop HBO completely, but no such luck.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 09, 2020 04:15PM
Got the same notice from mine as well. I called uVerse TV to see about discounts, still going up by $50. Will see about AT&T TV, got a popup for $89/m for the first year for I Gig Internet + TV.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: July 09, 2020 07:40PM
Yep, has nothing to do with the Roku.

HBO just hasn't reached a deal yet with Roku or Amazon (Firestick) to put HBO Max.

I'm sure they'll get it done, as both of them are around 70% or more of the market. They might even extend the date on pulling it until an agreement is reached.

Posted by: heap1
Date: July 09, 2020 10:08PM
Until Roku gets HBO Max, if you own a Chromecast or an Apple TV streaming media device you can use the mobile app on your phone to cast it to your TV.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 09, 2020 11:51PM
heap1
Until Roku gets HBO Max, if you own a Chromecast or an Apple TV streaming media device you can use the mobile app on your phone to cast it to your TV.

If you have an Apple TV, you can get HBO Max on it; no need to “cast it” with a “mobile app”.
Posted by: heap1
Date: July 10, 2020 05:36PM
DeusxMac
heap1

If you have an Apple TV, you can get HBO Max on it; no need to “cast it” with a “mobile app”.
That's good to know. At this point I thought there were only versions out for IOS and Android. Of course if you have an older version of Apple TV or a Chromecast device this would be the easiest way of watching HBO for now.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 10, 2020 10:53PM
AppleTV Gen 4 or above. HBO Max is not available for Gen 3 or older.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: July 10, 2020 10:56PM
.....is it for Gen....Anniston......????

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 11, 2020 09:14AM
Rolando
AppleTV Gen 4 or above. HBO Max is not available for Gen 3 or older.

Thanks. I should have stated that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 273
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018