advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Minnesota man sees tornado from car...
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 09, 2020 04:52PM
...and drives right up to it, gleefully and profanely. I’ve been known to post kooky “Florida man...“ threads here, but this was really nutz.

Anyway, this tornado was, at times, perhaps an EF3 which flattened a couple of farmsteads and, sadly, killed one person. But it was fairly isolated, with not a lot of rain, and at times not a lot of debris, so this guy got some pretty good video.

I woulda been hunkered down in a ditch, myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2020 04:56PM by pdq.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Minnesota man sees tornado from car...
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 09, 2020 05:50PM
Like mom always said, “It’s all fun and games until somebody gets hurt!” Old Fogette

At least he had it in landscape mode.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: July 09, 2020 07:34PM
That is so sane, it’s in-sane!
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 09, 2020 07:42PM
The tornado does not move much. I though they usually move at higher speed than this.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: July 09, 2020 09:05PM
He’s got potential to win a Darwin Award.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 09, 2020 09:45PM
Cow !
'nother cow !
I think it's the same cow !
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 09, 2020 11:46PM
He drives a Volvo so he was pretty safe.

We had an amazing light show early this morning about 2am. The thunderstorm was about 25 miles away so we couldn’t hear the thunder but the lightning was nearly continuous.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2020 11:48PM by Speedy.
Posted by: jh
Date: July 10, 2020 12:08AM
For those of us who have lived through tornadoes or live in an area known for tornadoes--he is an idiot.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 10, 2020 07:44AM
jh
For those of us who have lived through tornadoes or live in an area known for tornadoes--he is an idiot.

Not so much if he stayed on the southwest side of the twister.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Diana
Date: July 10, 2020 09:45AM
Speedy
jh

Doesn’t matter. They have been known to rope out, twist, come back, loop around—only an idiot gets that close; even storm chasers, who are known for getting up close and personal with these things and sometimes die from it—know to back off from the debris field. No back up, no radar feed, no anything? Idiocy.

From Oklahoma, where the wind blows constantly. Until it doesn’t and you know you’re screwed.

Edit: it’s this kind of behavior that encourages people to go out and see the tornado for themselves. Nearly 20 years ago now we saw that same behavior. The EF5 that roared through about 5 miles of my current residence was on the ground for an unheard of 45 minutes or so. A group of friends decided to go to the highest point they could find near the path of that beast, the bridge over I-35 at Shields Blvd. But the beast never changed course, they didn’t have a chance, and died from it. For you see, that thing had been expected to turn more eastward. That thing left scars on the ground that can still be seen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2020 09:55AM by Diana.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 10, 2020 10:10AM
It's all fun and games!

Until your vehicle gets sucked into the tornado & ejected out the top...
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 10, 2020 10:27AM
Diana
Speedy
jh

Doesn’t matter. They have been known to rope out, twist, come back, loop around—only an idiot gets that close; even storm chasers, who are known for getting up close and personal with these things and sometimes die from it—know to back off from the debris field. No back up, no radar feed, no anything? Idiocy.

From Oklahoma, where the wind blows constantly. Until it doesn’t and you know you’re screwed.

That made me think of this passage, from Stephen King's The Stand:

"The storm came at them quickly, riding on a gauzy caul of rain. Nick couldn't hear the thunderclaps, but he could see forks of lightning stabbing down from the clouds. They were bright enough to dazzle the eyes with bluish-purple afterimages. As they approached the outskirts of Rosston, where Nick meant to turn east on Route 64, the veil of rain under the clouds disappeared and the sky turned a still and queerly ominous shade of yellow. The wind, which had been freshening against his left cheek, died away altogether...

Nick, still feeling nervous, pedaled his own bike up the highway, lifted it over the cattle-gate, and then pedaled up the dirt feeder road to the barn...uneasiness made him take one last look over his shoulder, and what he saw coming froze him coldly in his tracks.

A horrible darkness was coming out of the west. It was not a cloud; it was more like a total absence of light. It was in the shape of a funnel, and at first glance it looked a thousand feet high. It was wider at the top than at the bottom; the bottom was not quite touching the earth. At its summit, the very clouds seemed to be fleeing from it, as if it possessed some mysterious power of repulsion..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2020 10:28AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: July 10, 2020 10:55AM
Diana
Speedy
jh

Edit: it’s this kind of behavior that encourages people to go out and see the tornado for themselves. Nearly 20 years ago now we saw that same behavior. The EF5 that roared through about 5 miles of my current residence was on the ground for an unheard of 45 minutes or so. A group of friends decided to go to the highest point they could find near the path of that beast, the bridge over I-35 at Shields Blvd. But the beast never changed course, they didn’t have a chance, and died from it. For you see, that thing had been expected to turn more eastward. That thing left scars on the ground that can still be seen.

I wholly concur.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 10, 2020 02:27PM
It's his life. My only problem was he needed to shut the hell up.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: July 10, 2020 11:11PM
Is it wrong that when he was bummed that the tornado might die, I was thinking the same, but on some level secretly wanting it to rise up and devour him?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 245
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018