advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Does a 55" Plasma TV give off that much heat???
Posted by: spacescape
Date: July 14, 2020 08:14AM
About a year or so ago my coworker gave me a beautiful 55" Plasma TV (Panasonic). He just didn't have the heart to toss it because the picture was just "so nice". So, over the last week I've been trying to figure out why by basement is "so hot". I have a newer Dehumidifier and was worried it wasn't working. Yet, when I checked the humidity it's "under" 40. The temperature in the basement his 78+ degrees!!! OUCH. So, last night I shut off the dehumidifier (Thinking the fan might be heating the room off the unit) and made sure my son shut the TV off before bed and this morning the basement was around 74 degrees (felt better). So, I'm thinking of dumping the Plasma and moving my Samsung LED down there (55") and getting a new LED with Roku for the main living space. Thinking the Samsung would be a better option down there. Are these plasma TV's kind of like space heaters?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Does a 55" Plasma TV give off that much heat???
Posted by: clay
Date: July 14, 2020 08:16AM
yup
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 14, 2020 08:23AM
Yes, if it's an older one.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: July 14, 2020 08:24AM
Yes. That is/was a main issue with plasma TVs. Much like the cheese grater Mac Pros.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 14, 2020 08:38AM
How much space are you trying to heat?

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 14, 2020 08:39AM
.....yes, they get very hot......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: d4
Date: July 14, 2020 08:47AM
50" Panasonic plasmas are built like tanks. Great pic and speakers. They do lack numerous HDMI ports. And weigh a ton. And as you've mentioned... give off a lot of heat. Mine is over 13 years old. I know people on their 2nd or 3rd TV in the same amount of time as my single plasma TV ownership.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 14, 2020 08:52AM
After you shut it off for the night, turn off the power strip it’s attached to. I love the pics on our two 50” plasma TVs (Panny and Visio, both 50”).

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2020 08:54AM by Speedy.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 14, 2020 09:33AM
Older ones do...though my 2011, 50" Panasonic plasma HDTV uses only ~180W when operating according to the Kil-A-Watt.

Though I have it in the basement, so the brightness isn't cranked up to maximum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2020 09:34AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 14, 2020 09:48AM
When our sons were in college they both had 42" Plasmas and man did the screen get warm.

Grateful11
Date: July 14, 2020 09:59AM
Ok, I believe I'm going to move the 3 year old Samsung 55" LED to the basement and pickup a new 55" for our family space. I'd like to get integrated ROKU for our main TV anyhow to simplify this for the family.

TCL - 55" Class - LED - 5 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR - Roku TV seems like a decent buy.

[www.bestbuy.com]
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 14, 2020 10:03AM
spacescape
Ok, I believe I'm going to move the 3 year old Samsung 55" LED to the basement and pickup a new 55" for our family space. I'd like to get integrated ROKU for our main TV anyhow to simplify this for the family.

TCL - 55" Class - LED - 5 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR - Roku TV seems like a decent buy.

[www.bestbuy.com]

Jeez! 55" 4K Smart TV for $399. smiley-excited001
Posted by: davester
Date: July 14, 2020 10:18AM
Yes they put off a lot of heat. However, I don't understand how it could be a big problem. Don't you turn the TV off when you're not watching a program? We have a Panny plasma and it is not a problem. The one or two hours a day it is on are not enough to cause problems.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: July 14, 2020 10:19AM
davester
Yes they put off a lot of heat. However, I don't understand how it could be a big problem. Don't you turn the TV off when you're not watching a program? We have a Panny plasma and it is not a problem. The one or two hours a day it is on are not enough to cause problems.

Kid + Xbox + On for hours = Big Heat Problem.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 14, 2020 10:35AM
What does the Kill-a-Watt say?

IMHO this is the perfect example why it’s nice to have a Kill-a-Watt these days. Measure not only power, but also voltage, Amps, power factor, frequency.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 14, 2020 10:37AM
The kid needs a job.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 14, 2020 10:39AM
I bet hooking that up to an older Mac Pro in an insulated room could double as a sauna.
Date: July 14, 2020 10:53AM
Racer X
The kid needs a job.

Soon... He's 12 and he's diabetic so he's become a gamer over Pandemic.
Date: July 14, 2020 11:08AM
The (almost) instant-on feature of TVs means a plasma TV uses a fair amount of power even when shut off.

davester

Date: July 14, 2020 11:37AM
.....so like teenage boy....always turned on......???

Posted by: davester
Date: July 14, 2020 12:15PM
Speedy
The (almost) instant-on feature of TVs means a plasma TV uses a fair amount of power even when shut off.

davester

There's an energy saver setting on our Panny plasma that disables that feature.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 14, 2020 12:35PM
spacescape

[www.bestbuy.com]

If this is gonna be a main TV -- and you have some time to shop around, or have a few extra bucks -- you might want to look into the 6 series TCL. They are a nicer unit all the way around -- especially picture wise.

55" is the sweet spot -- I have bought 2 55" 4k smart 5 series TCLs over the last little bit -- I paid $350 at amazon a few months ago, and $250(!) few years ago (black friday). =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2020 01:05PM by jdc.
Date: July 14, 2020 12:36PM
.....my momma' told me......you better shop around.....

Date: July 14, 2020 12:50PM
We miss our two plasma TVs. The Panasonic failed with a known graphics chip issue that was $700 to replace the board! We purchased an end-of-production Samsung, and it developed its own sickness.

The Panny was hundreds of watts - even off. The Samsung was under 200 W - ON. HUGE difference.

Both were 1080P but their picture blew away our 4k Quantum Dot Vizio, which was the best screen we could buy that wasn't OLED.

If you can make the heat work for you, I would keep the plasma.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 14, 2020 12:51PM
davester
Speedy

davester

Yeah, I don't remember my Panny plasma ever being instant-on.

It is what it is.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 14, 2020 12:52PM
sekker

If you can make the heat work for you, I would keep the plasma.

Maybe build a compost digester above the unit?
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 14, 2020 01:23PM
The heat from one of those panels could be felt more than a foot away. Yeah, they get warm!
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 14, 2020 01:31PM
mikebw
spacescape

[www.bestbuy.com]

Jeez! 55" 4K Smart TV for $399. smiley-excited001

Just a reminder Roku does not have HBO Max available at this time (if that's important to you).

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 14, 2020 02:31PM
My 2009 42” Panasonic Plasma uses about $150-200W when ON and I think almost no power when Off. I will check later today.
Posted by: LyleH
Date: July 14, 2020 03:46PM
My 2012 - 55" Panasonic Plasma TC-P55ST50 has a power Consumption (Rated power = 390 W and Standby power is 0.2 W. It has an excellent picture. As you can imagine, it throws out a lot of heat when on, but when it's been off for awhile I can't feel any heat on any part of the unit - screen or case.

The 50" TC-P50ST50 Rated power is 383 Watts, so that one must put out a lot of heat too. The 55" cost $1250 when new - my next replacement will be so much cheaper. LyleH
Date: July 14, 2020 05:50PM
jdc
spacescape

[www.bestbuy.com]

If this is gonna be a main TV -- and you have some time to shop around, or have a few extra bucks -- you might want to look into the 6 series TCL. They are a nicer unit all the way around -- especially picture wise.

55" is the sweet spot -- I have bought 2 55" 4k smart 5 series TCLs over the last little bit -- I paid $350 at amazon a few months ago, and $250(!) few years ago (black friday). =)

Ditto...the 6 series (but not the 5 series) has local dimming...it's the minimum I'd consider as replacement for my plasma.
Date: July 14, 2020 08:57PM
davester
Speedy

davester

Thanks, I’ll have to check mine!

Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 15, 2020 01:31AM
A friend retired his plasma TV in his living room, and had to install a fireplace insert the room got so cold.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: July 15, 2020 05:45AM
Hmmmm. I'll have to keep monitoring because the humidity outside was less yesterday. When I got home from work (left the dehumidifier off for the day) the humidity went up to about 45 and the basement was around 74 degrees. My son had the Plasma off (outside playing and swimming for several hours). So, maybe between the Dehumidifier being on 24/7 (blows air out the top) and the TV the basement was getting around 78 degrees. So, I'm going to leave the dehumidifier on less (maybe 4-6 hours a day) and see if the temperature stays down. Maybe it isn't the TV.
Date: July 15, 2020 06:51AM
Bill in NC
jdc
spacescape

[www.bestbuy.com]

Ditto...the 6 series (but not the 5 series) has local dimming...it's the minimum I'd consider as replacement for my plasma.

So, this is the 6 Series you are talking about? QLED ??? You guys are killing me. I don't see a 6 series that isn't QLED (I thought I found it but it was Out Of Stock).

[www.tclusa.com]

Guess all TCL's are 2019 models and there are rumors that they may not have 2020 models right now. What exactly is local dimming? The room that I'd put this in gets pretty bright during the day (I don't personally care because I'm working Monday thru Friday). Seems like the Series 5 would be better than my Samsung in this space (I think). Because my other option is to just grab a 4 series and put that in the basement and keep the samsung as the main TV.
Date: July 15, 2020 08:58AM
.....Body Heat.......

Date: July 15, 2020 09:01AM
spacescape
Bill in NC
jdc
spacescape

[www.bestbuy.com]

So, this is the 6 Series you are talking about? QLED ??? You guys are killing me. I don't see a 6 series that isn't QLED (I thought I found it but it was Out Of Stock).

[www.tclusa.com]

Guess all TCL's are 2019 models and there are rumors that they may not have 2020 models right now. What exactly is local dimming? The room that I'd put this in gets pretty bright during the day (I don't personally care because I'm working Monday thru Friday). Seems like the Series 5 would be better than my Samsung in this space (I think). Because my other option is to just grab a 4 series and put that in the basement and keep the samsung as the main TV.

Sure, 5 series is fine if you don't care about local dimming or HDR.

But, given what you write above please note the following from rtings.com:

"The TCL 6 Series/R625 2019 is quite a bit better than the TCL 5 Series/S525 2019.

The 6 Series has a much more premium design, Full-Array local dimming, and slightly better motion handling.

It's also much better for HDR content thanks to its wider color gamut, and much higher peak brightness, especially in HDR."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2020 09:03AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 15, 2020 09:39AM
d4
50" Panasonic plasmas are built like tanks. Great pic and speakers. They do lack numerous HDMI ports. And weigh a ton. And as you've mentioned... give off a lot of heat. Mine is over 13 years old. I know people on their 2nd or 3rd TV in the same amount of time as my single plasma TV ownership.

Yep. My 2005 model (I try not to think about how much I paid for it, but at least it's been well-amortized) is still going strong as the day I unpacked it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2020 09:40AM by Will Collier.
Date: July 15, 2020 10:01AM
Bill in NC
spacescape
Bill in NC
jdc
spacescape

[www.bestbuy.com]

[www.tclusa.com]

Sure, 5 series is fine if you don't care about local dimming or HDR.

But, given what you write above please note the following from rtings.com:

"The TCL 6 Series/R625 2019 is quite a bit better than the TCL 5 Series/S525 2019.

The 6 Series has a much more premium design, Full-Array local dimming, and slightly better motion handling.

It's also much better for HDR content thanks to its wider color gamut, and much higher peak brightness, especially in HDR."

Ok, will keep an eye out for a "deal on a 55" 6 Series and maybe 2020 models will come out soon.
Date: July 15, 2020 12:52PM
Yep, I'm hoping to pick up a clearance 2019 model as 2020 models ramp up.

Though I'm also considering an OLED...
Posted by: fauch
Date: July 15, 2020 05:20PM
Date: July 15, 2020 07:54PM
Will Collier
d4

Yep. My 2005 model (I try not to think about how much I paid for it, but at least it's been well-amortized) is still going strong as the day I unpacked it.

This is the only reason I feel guilty about upgrading to OLED a few years ago — I have a perfectly good Panny plasma with years of reliable service remaining just lying around collecting dust...

It is what it is.
Date: July 15, 2020 08:10PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Will Collier
d4

This is the only reason I feel guilty about upgrading to OLED a few years ago — I have a perfectly good Panny plasma with years of reliable service remaining just lying around collecting dust...

Sacrilege!
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 15, 2020 08:41PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Will Collier
d4

Buddy of mine has a good-working-order Pioneer plasma sitting in his basement, disconnected and leaning against a wall. Horrific!
Date: July 15, 2020 08:59PM
Will Collier
N-OS X-tasy!
Will Collier
d4

Buddy of mine has a good-working-order Pioneer plasma sitting in his basement, disconnected and leaning against a wall. Horrific!

That is the exact current condition of my Panny. At least it's in my dining room and not a basement.

It is what it is.
Date: July 16, 2020 07:01AM
As of last night my buddy gave me a life lesson and told me to turn off my Boiler!!! So, pilot light is off, power is off and gas is off!!! This morning the basement the humidity was still under 50 but the temp was around 74-75... Now, the TV and the dehumidifier was off at that moment so I'll check again later. Never having a boiler he was telling me that even though it's off the pilot light is heating up and the water in the tank. Not sure if that is 100% true seeing I never had a boiler. But, I'm willing to try anything and so far it works. Makes sense because the pilot light on my fireplace warms up that space so I shut it off for the summer.

So, looks like I will drag my feet getting a new TV down there for the moment. At least I can watch for a great deal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2020 07:02AM by spacescape.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 118
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020