Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Have you filed for your “slowed down” settlement money from Apple
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 14, 2020 04:46PM
Just saw this in my news feed.
There is a link in the article to fill out the claim form.
I still have my 6+ so I filed a claim.
Husband is still using the phone so it was easy to get the serial number.
If you don’t have the serial number, you can still file with your Apple ID and they will try to verify that you owned one of the affected models.

[apple.news]

TECH
Apple owes you for slowing down your old iPhone. Here’s how to collect.
Go get your money!
How'd you like to get some cash from Apple? If you owned or still have one of a half dozen older iPhone models, you actually can. And you should. In fact, you deserve it.
As part of a proposed settlement over the company’s Batterygate controversy, in which Apple deliberately prevented chips in older iPhones from reaching their full processing power under certain conditions, the company has agreed to make payments totaling up to $500 million overall. Based on how many claims are submitted, this should break down to up to $25 per claimant, which you should most definitely collect if you qualify.
So, who qualifies?
Do you or did you have an iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, or an iPhone SE that ran iOS 10.2.1 or later before December 21, 2017? Then you're qualified.
Did you own an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus that ran iOS 11.2 or later before December 21, 2017? Then you qualify, too!

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Have you filed for your “slowed down” settlement money from Apple
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 14, 2020 05:06PM
.....thought that everyone....wanted.....a man with a slow..........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 14, 2020 05:09PM
Filed for daughter's old phone that was stolen...
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 14, 2020 05:14PM
Here are the links for filing a claim

[www.smartphoneperformancesettlement.com]

That article didn't mention an additional criteria.

You may be entitled to settlement benefits if you are or were (1) a United States owner of an iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, 7, 7 Plus, and/or SE device (2) that ran iOS 10.2.1 or later or, in the case of iPhone 7 and 7 Plus devices, that ran iOS 11.2 or later before December 21, 2017, and (3) you experienced diminished performance on your device(s).

Not sure how one determines "diminished performance", seems like a personal judgement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2020 05:19PM by GGD.
Date: July 14, 2020 05:26PM
GGD

You may be entitled to settlement benefits if you are or were (1) a United States owner of an iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, 7, 7 Plus, and/or SE device (2) that ran iOS 10.2.1 or later or, in the case of iPhone 7 and 7 Plus devices, that ran iOS 11.2 or later before December 21, 2017, and (3) you experienced diminished performance on your device(s).

Not sure how one determines "diminished performance", seems like a personal judgement.

'When they ask, you say - yes.'
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 14, 2020 06:12PM
Qualified for both 6 plus and 7 plus – let's see if they both pay off.
Date: July 14, 2020 06:30PM
I have two SE's both purchased the same week in Sept 2017 from Best Buy for $140 as AT&T Prepaid phones. One was located by serial number, the other is not finding the serial number. If I do the search based on AppleID / name, it locates the same one that the serial number lookup located.

Other family members have iPhone 6s Plus's and they were located by serial number.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 14, 2020 06:36PM
Well ain't that spiffy? NOT!

Entered (what I thought was) the serial number of the old gold 64GB iP6 off of the trade in form for the iP Xr from early last year... and it says....

The Serial Number you provided does not match the records in our database. Please check the Serial Number you entered to be sure it is complete and that you typed it correctly. Some common errors include entering Zeros as “O”, typing a capital “B” instead of an 8, and entering the Serial Number for a different device that is not eligible under the Settlement. Please try inputting your Serial Number again, or use the Search Tool below to locate your Serial Number.

Tried the Search Tool and got same results...

Since I still have the 128GB space gray iP6s+ in service w/ Spectrum on a $14/mo plan, I'm assuming that's not gonna be a problem..., but the old gold iP6 is long gone, and that trade in paperwork I'm pretty sure is the only record I still have of the serial number. I may try to call MetroPCS and see if they still have a record, but it was taken out of service a year and a half ago, and IIRC, I got rid of the remainder of the Metro phones a few months later, but still over a year ago since the Metro account was closed. I'll probably try calling the claims company tomorrow during business hours to see if they have an idea.

Spousal unit's corporate iP7+ was a corporate owned phone, but was registered under her Apple ID#.... guess that's another good reason to call the claims company? So until tomorrow, any ideas from around these parts?
Thanks.

/ / /

Oops, BTW, what was listed as "Serial #" on trade in form, is actually the IMEI#, per Metro, so Apple was able to provide the serial # based on that....

The world has once again returned to normal.... well, except for that pesky virus thing, and what to do about the corporate iP7+.
==
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 14, 2020 06:41PM
sekker
GGD

'When they ask, you say - yes.'

Yep, that’s all you have to do.
There are two little check off questions and one asks if you experienced diminished performance and the second question asks if all your answers were truthful. Check yes on each and you are done.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2020 06:44PM by rgG.
Date: July 14, 2020 07:10PM
Well, we have an SE in hand that was purchased Aug 2017 and does not work, an iP6+ and an iP6S+ that also do not work but were both replacements by Apple (so might not show up properly in the database).

1/4 = 25%. At this rate, Apple will only have to pay out less than a third.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 14, 2020 07:14PM
Thanks!

Worked for my 6, but not for my SE. I probably bought the SE in 2018.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: July 14, 2020 07:40PM
Buzz
The Serial Number you provided does not match the records in our database. Please check the Serial Number you entered to be sure it is complete and that you typed it correctly. Some common errors include entering Zeros as “O”, typing a capital “B” instead of an 8, and entering the Serial Number for a different device that is not eligible under the Settlement. Please try inputting your Serial Number again, or use the Search Tool below to locate your Serial Number.

That's the message I'm getting for an iPhone SE that I'm holding in my hand and reading the serial number directly from the Settings>General>About screen.

There is a downloadable PDF to submit a paper claim form by mail, and that seems like the option I may need to do, and I plan to print a screen shot of the serial number and attach it.

There's also a contact email address and phone number that I might try calling to see what they suggest for the phone that's not found in their database.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 14, 2020 08:37PM
I'm still waiting on my $1,200 please vote for me check from the government.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: rz
Date: July 14, 2020 08:41PM
I'm still using a 6s that's running iOS 10. I guess I qualify...
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 14, 2020 08:52PM
rz
I'm still using a 6s that's running iOS 10. I guess I qualify...

Only if it is running iOS 10.2.1 or later. Apple knows what OS that phone is running.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 14, 2020 09:11PM
Thanks for the info. I was able to file electronically.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 14, 2020 11:14PM
Filed for one. Collecting the SN for 3 other 6s and one SE. will be a nice payday, or more likely 5 small days

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 14, 2020 11:37PM
Oh boy!

$25 bucks!

After spending $29 on the new battery, replacing the screen multiple times because the new battery was defective and swelled and messed up the screens, and finally just giving up and replacing it with an iPhone 8.

They owe me for the screens and a few million for my pain and suffering.

Posted by: mrlynn
Date: July 15, 2020 07:04AM
We got our two iPhone 6s models from T-Mobile when we signed up in August 2018. So if you had to have owned the phone(s) in 2017, I guess we don't qualify. Not that I've noticed any problem anyway.

Oh well.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: d4
Date: July 15, 2020 07:05AM
Neither my wife's iPhone 7 nor my iPhone 7Plus serial number worked.

"The Serial Number you provided does not match the records in our database. Please check the Serial Number you entered to be sure it is complete and that you typed it correctly. Some common errors include entering Zeros as “O”, typing a capital “B” instead of an 8, and entering the Serial Number for a different device that is not eligible under the Settlement. Please try inputting your Serial Number again, or use the Search Tool below to locate your Serial Number."

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 15, 2020 08:04AM
Thanks. In for the 6s that I just replaced because Battery #2 was dying and it wasn't worth replacing...
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 15, 2020 03:06PM
Do you or did you have an iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, or an iPhone SE that ran iOS 10.2.1 or later before December 21, 2017? Then you're qualified.
Did you own an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus that ran iOS 11.2 or later before December 21, 2017? Then you qualify, too!

I thought my 6S Plus fit the parameters but the web page says it is not. I tried the serial number a few times and also the apple id input option. Both say no.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 15, 2020 03:17PM

History repeating itself? Are you sure you entered SN, and not IMEI#? I copied "Serial #" off of our old iP6 trade in form for new 2019 iP Xr, and it turned out to be the IMEI#.... had to sleuth real SN from AAPL based on IMEI#.... which then worked. Good luck.

Got same message for spousal unit's corporate iP7+, and currently waiting for response to inquiry regarding same. Phone is registered under spousal unit's Apple ID, but I'm guessing there may be a technical ownership question? Also, It does have a funky SN compared to all others I've seen, so that may already be accounted for in their database?
==
Date: July 15, 2020 03:41PM
pRICE cUBE

I thought my 6S Plus fit the parameters but the web page says it is not. I tried the serial number a few times and also the apple id input option. Both say no.

That is my experience with our SE.
Date: July 15, 2020 04:13PM
sekker
pRICE cUBE

That is my experience with our SE.

My rejected SE was purchased in Sept 2017, it's still running 10.3.3, and since Apple stopped signing 10.3.3 in early Oct 2017, it's pretty clear that this phone was running 10.3.3 on Dec 21, 2017.

I tried calling the toll free number, there doesn't seem to be any path to get to a human. I might try sending an email next.
Posted by: d4
Date: July 16, 2020 10:05AM
Buzz

History repeating itself? Are you sure you entered SN, and not IMEI#? I copied "Serial #" off of our old iP6 trade in form for new 2019 iP Xr, and it turned out to be the IMEI#.... had to sleuth real SN from AAPL based on IMEI#.... which then worked. Good luck.

Got same message for spousal unit's corporate iP7+, and currently waiting for response to inquiry regarding same. Phone is registered under spousal unit's Apple ID, but I'm guessing there may be a technical ownership question? Also, It does have a funky SN compared to all others I've seen, so that may already be accounted for in their database?
==

Yes. I have the original boxes for both. The serial number is printed on the outside. Double checked my wife's iP7 in Settings as well.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 16, 2020 02:42PM
Hmm. I just filed and my 6S+ went through without a glitch. confused smiley

pRICE cUBE

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 207
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018