advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Arrghh Pesky Critters--How To Keep Them Away From My Vehicle
Posted by: jh
Date: July 15, 2020 04:22PM
Have not driven my pickup truck much since the virus and noticed when I drove it this week something was amiss. Driver's side signal was blinking too fast. Bulb burned out I suspected but upon opening hood notice a small branch on that side. Doh! This is not good. Looking around more wires to headlamp on driver's side chewed up along with part of the air intake plastic. Probably squirrel(s) since the area was pretty tight next to the hood. We have a carport for the car and concrete pad next to it for the truck. Going to be a costly repair.

Wifey found in the storage building a product called Shot Gun Repels All which I will try around the vehicles I guess.

Other options one could try? Experiences and what worked?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Arrghh Pesky Critters--How To Keep Them Away From My Vehicle
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 15, 2020 04:27PM
Maybe try pepper spray. Spray something oily first so it will hang around.
Posted by: Schpark
Date: July 15, 2020 04:41PM
I stuff Bounce dryer sheets around my motorcycle and boat and have not had any critter issues.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Posted by: hal
Date: July 15, 2020 04:45PM
This is common problem in high mountain areas. One trailhead parking lots is notorious and if you don't take the proper precautions, you likely will NOT be able to get down off the mountain.

Here's advice on parking there (you won't like it): [www.nps.gov]

ps - they used to say that building a little fence with chicken wire was a good easy way to protect, but the marmots got smart - maybe it would work on your varmints.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2020 04:48PM by hal.
Date: July 15, 2020 04:50PM
Mix cayenne pepper into Vaseline and rub it onto the wires and exposed areas. Maybe add peppermint oil for good measure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2020 04:51PM by Dennis S.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 15, 2020 06:29PM
Schpark
I stuff Bounce dryer sheets around my motorcycle and boat and have not had any critter issues.

This.

Problem is that in an effort to be more environmentally friendly, someone decided to insulate automotive wires with a soy based product. Idiot never thought about it attracting critters.
Date: July 15, 2020 07:07PM
macphanatic
Schpark

This.

Problem is that in an effort to be more environmentally friendly, someone decided to insulate automotive wires with a soy based product. Idiot never thought about it attracting critters.

I bought some Walmart brand toilet paper and mice tried to eat it. I guess soy or some other food-like substance was used to make it.
Posted by: Wags
Date: July 15, 2020 07:17PM
The squirrels stuffed sunflower seeds up the tailpipe of my motorcycle one year. It coughed mightily and belched them out all over the garage.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 15, 2020 07:55PM
Any effective rodent repellant will work, though you will need to reapply it on a regular basis.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 15, 2020 09:28PM
macphanatic
Schpark

This.

And there is a vinyl insulation plasticizer that is almost a chemical match for fish oil. Cat crack-infused power cables.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: tenders
Date: July 16, 2020 05:32AM
My parents’ five-year-old Sienna was declared a total loss and was totaled after rodents chewed through the main wiring harness. Expensive to replace + uncertainty of additional wiring issues = new vehicle.
Posted by: Schpark
Date: July 16, 2020 09:34AM
Wags
The squirrels stuffed sunflower seeds up the tailpipe of my motorcycle one year. It coughed mightily and belched them out all over the garage.

That's why one drier sheet goes in each exhaust pipe for my motorcycle.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 210
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018